Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

5 minutes ago, Coconutguy said:

So here is my question: can we use this to pay for any of the air deviation fees? If not can we use it to book a post cruise hotel in Barcelona through Regent for a few nights?

While not 100% positive believe you can only use the FCC to pay for cruise costs not including the deposit.  Have not heard this question before so best to have your TA get a definitive answer.  Almost positive the deviation few won't work as it is non refundable and hotels have their own cancellation penalty schedule so pretty sure the answer is no to both.

• 4 weeks later...

So, question: Our reservation is still a long way away (April 2023), but this thread has given me food for thought.  Is it possible to deviate one way only?  We are on a TA out of Miami, headed for Barcelona.  We are not in Concierge class, so, presumably, we would fly out of LGA (or maybe JFK), but anyway, somewhere in NY, early in the morning on embarkation day.  The thing is, there aren't as many flights down as there used to be.  And while we would be picked up by Regent at the airport and taken to the port, I have no idea how early/late the ship leaves.  Since this is a TA, there are not that many stops where we could catch the ship, so . . . 

We have no problem with Regent's travel arrangements on the trip home.  But I do wonder whether it would not be better to fly down to Florida a day or two before our cruise on our own, just to be safe, and just make our own way over to the port.  How much can that cost?

56 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Is it possible to deviate one way only

Yes, absolutely and you can take the credit for one way and get your own ticked and avoid the deviation charge if pricing is good to Miami.  And since once you deviate one way you can then deviate on the way back to spend some time before heading home for the same deviation fee.  Lots of options.  And, TA's are great that way.

Edited by rallydave

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, jhenry1 said:

If you choose to deviate and then closer to sailing decide to book your own flights and take the credit is that possible or are you locked in to what Regent booked for you

Cannot completely answer your question however for sure you would not get back the deviation fee.  In over 10 years on this board have not seen this asked.  Best to ask your TA or Regent what is the policy.  Know you can change from Regent to the credit late in the game so would seem you could do what you want losing the $350 you paid for the deviation.  

Have you realized that likely flights you want at a late date might be higher in price and difficult to book??  Good luck in whatever you choose.

3 hours ago, jhenry1 said:

If you choose to deviate and then closer to sailing decide to book your own flights and take the credit is that possible or are you locked in to what Regent booked for you

FWIW, on the (US) Guest Statements from Regent:

Guest Cancellation Schedule
The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all cancellations received prior to departure up to the scheduled time of departure....

Airfare                             Within 60 days prior to departure           100% fee
Custom Air Fee             When requested                                         100% fee
Air Supplemental Fee   Within 60 days prior to departure           100% fee

On 8/1/2021 at 9:12 AM, jhenry1 said:

As a new-to-Regent cruiser, I found this a very interesting question.  What did your TA find out from Regent when he/she asked them?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/24/2021 at 7:25 PM, rallydave said:

Yes, absolutely and you can take the credit for one way and get your own ticked and avoid the deviation charge if pricing is good to Miami.  And since once you deviate one way you can then deviate on the way back to spend some time before heading home for the same deviation fee.  Lots of options.  And, TA's are great that way.

If you are using Regent for just one way (outbound, for instance) and you choose to deviate, would the fee still be $175/pp?

2 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

If you are using Regent for just one way (outbound, for instance) and you choose to deviate, would the fee still be $175/pp?

Yes.  $175 no matter what your deviation is for one way or round trip per deviation.  If you change again it's another $175.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on our first Regent cruise in August ‘22. This includes return Business Class from Edinburgh. 

Our flights have just been confirmed as Edin to Athens with BA via Heathrow which we were ok with as there are limited choices on this route. 

For the return Regent offered Istanbul to Edinburgh with BA via Heathrow. Flight departure time of 0840 would mean very early disembark effectively knocking into the overnight in Istanbul where we had planned to have dinner off ship which we anticipated being a highlight of the cruise. 

As there is a direct flight at 1315 with Turkish Airlines we saw this as a much preferable option and asked if this could be booked instead. The answer was yes if we were prepared to pay an additional £1000. Our TA tried to get this reduced as we were happy to pay a premium for the convenience but this seemed excessive. The choice of take it or leave it was the only one we were given. 

When I saw this thread I decided I would ask if this is “normal” and / or if there is a route I can take to challenge this further. 

4 hours ago, Hearts51 said:

We are booked on our first Regent cruise in August ‘22. This includes return Business Class from Edinburgh. 

Our flights have just been confirmed as Edin to Athens with BA via Heathrow which we were ok with as there are limited choices on this route. 

For the return Regent offered Istanbul to Edinburgh with BA via Heathrow. Flight departure time of 0840 would mean very early disembark effectively knocking into the overnight in Istanbul where we had planned to have dinner off ship which we anticipated being a highlight of the cruise. 

As there is a direct flight at 1315 with Turkish Airlines we saw this as a much preferable option and asked if this could be booked instead. The answer was yes if we were prepared to pay an additional £1000. Our TA tried to get this reduced as we were happy to pay a premium for the convenience but this seemed excessive. The choice of take it or leave it was the only one we were given. 

When I saw this thread I decided I would ask if this is “normal” and / or if there is a route I can take to challenge this further. 

The upcharge suggests that they don't have a contract with Turkish Airlines at least not for that flight. $1000 seems like a pretty typical upcharge for non contracted flights. 

On our first Regent cruise years ago, we were unhappy with our flight option home and asked for another option, we were told we could add in an overnight at our own expense. That worked perfectly for us as it gave me around 30 hours in London. Doesn't seem like much to most but to me it was the chance to see some of London for the first time. We jammed in a lot of sightseeing in a short time. 

Anyway if you were prepared to stay overnight in Istanbul at your own expense they may agree to that and let you take the early morning flight the following day.   I would rather spend the money to see more of Istanbul than pay the extra for a different flight. 

Good luck. Hope you get it worked out to your satisfaction. Have a great cruise. 

• Like 1

For other this happens when waiting until Regent provides your flight details at approx 75 days as most people try to deviate earlier when avaiable at the 270 day mark.  By 75 days seats are filled and much more difficult to get the flight you want without the upcharge.  

And $1000 seems to be the going rate for this type of deviation.  Have never heard of Regent negotiating the price of the upcharge.  They in these cases take the taee it or leave it tatu.

Hearts51, you don’t say if you would be flying economy or business class. However, in either case, it would probably be financially advantageous to take the air credit from Regent and book your own flights. You may save hundreds of pounds and could choose the best flights from a variety of airlines.

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

A couple of questions partially related 

I saw some posts on using regent " one way"  How does that work if the RT business credit is 7500 to asia - do they just charge half?  

We disembark in bali and do the 3 day post cruise tour included.  Will Regent air deviation allow us to fly to Singapore for 3 nights and then send us back to LA on a nonstop SQ flight?  

44 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

A couple of questions partially related 

I saw some posts on using regent " one way"  How does that work if the RT business credit is 7500 to asia - do they just charge half?  

We disembark in bali and do the 3 day post cruise tour included.  Will Regent air deviation allow us to fly to Singapore for 3 nights and then send us back to LA on a nonstop SQ flight?  

To the first question, yes, it's split in half.

In my experience, yes, they will allow you to do this.  You will have to book your own flight to Singapore, but then Regent Air will likely fly you back.  We did both of these when doing Miami to Lima, Peru.  We drove to Miami from our home in Florida, then had Regent Air fly us back, but from Guayaquil in Ecuador, about ten days later.  We spent time in Lima doing the sights, then flew on our own dime to Guayaquil, spent a holiday visiting friends nearby, then flew back to Miami from Guayaquil.  So it is workable, in theory.  Obviously you will have to pay the deviation fee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

To the first question, yes, it's split in half.

Wendy, beginning in, I believe, 2019 Regent no longer automatically splits the air credit in half if you only do Regent air one way. So, in Lonedaddy’s case, he is apparently doing the Auckland to Bali cruise in January 2023. The RT air credit for that cruise is $7000. The air credit on the Auckland flight will be $3750, which is half the normal Australia - New Zealand air credit of $7500. That leaves an air credit of $3250 for the flight home from Bali, which is half the normal Bali – Singapore area air credit of $6500.

If the air credit for each segment is the same, such as a US to Europe round-trip, then the air credit is split in half if Regent air is only used one way. However, the Europe to Miami transatlantic air credit of $1300 would be split $1150/$150 if Regent air is only used in one direction.

Dave

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaveFr said:

If the air credit for each segment is the same, such as a US to Europe round-trip, then the air credit is split in half if Regent air is only used one way. However, the Europe to Miami transatlantic air credit of $1300 would be split $1150/$150 if Regent air is only used in one direction.

Interesting, thanks Dave.  I had no idea they'd made that change.  Have used the split several times for cruises beginning or ending in Miami, no more I guess, huh!  They got smart, for sure.

8 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Interesting, thanks Dave.  I had no idea they'd made that change.  Have used the split several times for cruises beginning or ending in Miami, no more I guess, huh!  They got smart, for sure.

I fondly remember one Europe to Miami Transatlantic with an air credit of $1300. When it was split in half, we ended up paying $650 per person for a Los Angeles to Europe business class flight. An amazing bargain. 😁 I also remember when Regent instituted the one night pre-cruise hotel for all passengers. At that time the hotel credit was a flat $300 per person which was higher probably than Regent was paying for the hotel rooms. Eventually, Regent figured out that they were giving away money and changed the hotel credit. 

Dave

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I haven't used regent air as I usually book with milage.  How far out do they start booking and is there a list of preferred airlines to New Zealand and from bali back to the states (hopefully with a stop in Singapore?)   Do I work directly with them on the deviations or does my TA?