For those curious about current passport turnaround times...

My daughters are adopted, and they are requesting original birth certificates from their birth country. I can't even imagine what it might take to make that happen, but I'm pretty certain it won't happen by our travel date even if it's possible.

There is a Federal Law called the Child Citizenship Act that pertains to our situation. There is even a section about it under the passport section of the State Department's website, that states exactly what you need to apply for a passport for your child. We have provided all of the information they need. They absolutely do not need an original foreign birth certificate, and I have no idea why they are asking for it. It could only possibly pertain if they are under the mistaken assumption that they are our biological children that happened to be born outside of the U.S. I would have thought the certified adoption decrees included with our paperwork would have cleared that up.... but who knows?

simply get your facts together and contact your congressmen or senator. they will resolve it quickly.

:D Great! So happy you now have them!

Have you picked out the cruise you're going to book?

LuLu

~~~~

Yes; I've booked three short Princess cruises that sail in September and one for next May (with more to come).

I expedited mine and sent it off 2 day on a Monday (they received it Wednesday) at the end of April. I received it back the following Thursday. So approximately, 8 days door to door for expedited passport.

It was a renewal, not a new application, so I am not sure if that affects the time.

I know this post has been around a little while but just wanted to say the processing time for my kids passports was 6 weeks. That included a photo mishap where they wanted new photos!! :o if the photos were good the first time we probably could have cut a week out of that time! :rolleyes:

I know this post has been around a little while but just wanted to say the processing time for my kids passports was 6 weeks. That included a photo mishap where they wanted new photos!! :o if the photos were good the first time we probably could have cut a week out of that time! :rolleyes:

We always get new pictures taken before we send in to have our passports renewed.

Thought we would update this thread with current info. DW recently applied for her renewal and the Dept of State is telling her that it currently takes 4-6 weeks for processing. This time of year often has the longest waits as many folks apply for passports to use during the busy summer season.

Hank

We applied for our passports on May 1 and received them on May 10th without paying for expedited service. Mine was a renewal and The Hubbs' was his first application.

The only glitch was that his original birht certificate wasn't good enough because it did not have his parents' names on it. He was able to get a new BC same day at a different government office.

We applied for our passports on May 1 and received them on May 10th without paying for expedited service. Mine was a renewal and The Hubbs' was his first application.

The only glitch was that his original birht certificate wasn't good enough because it did not have his parents' names on it. He was able to get a new BC same day at a different government office.

seems to me that would be worthless.. how do you even get one without your parents name on it?

• 2 months later...

Is it quicker to go to the post office or mail it all in? We're 6 weeks just barely (5 weeks, 6 days), out from our next cruise and hubby needs a renewal. When we cruise his passport will expire in less than 6 months and they recommend having a newer passport.

If you are close to a city with PP office you can usually renew on spot or quickly. I have seen them issued immediately in downtown Miami. Otherwise by mail telling them exact date of cruise.You will need renewal; its not a SUGGESTION.

Took mine for renewal to the PO but was told renewals with previous passport have to be mailed in now. So i bought a money order and mailed it from there priority. Hopefully it will arrive quickly.

Wondering if since its just a renewal, it might come back faster?

Took mine for renewal to the PO but was told renewals with previous passport have to be mailed in now. So i bought a money order and mailed it from there priority. Hopefully it will arrive quickly.

Wondering if since its just a renewal, it might come back faster?

you can always go to travel.state.gov to check on the status of your passport

at the PO, we tell everyone 4-6weeks for routine, 2-3 weeks for expedited

Thought my fellow Canadians would be interested in knowing that some Service Canada centers will now accept passport applications. They took my children's forms and told me I would receive them in 6 weeks. I got them in 4.

Read the Passport Canada website to see if you qualify to use a Service Canada outlet as opposed to a passport office. I don't think they can process anything that is rush or a special case.

SO happy to see this. We are planning a last minute cruise while on a trip to Florida. Both passports need renewals and we only have 7 1/2 weeks. I am sending out tomorrow and just gonna hope I get to book it.