Cruise Advice for a 1st timer????

gkrnjlr

Any advice? Big or small? We don't know what questions to ask, so none of the advice would be not needed.

We're sailing on 9/5 on Carnival's Fascination and going to Key West and Cozumel.

Any and all advice/suggestions - PLEASE!!!!

Thanks!

Any advice? Big or small? We don't know what questions to ask, so none of the advice would be not needed.

We're sailing on 9/5 on Carnival's Fascination and going to Key West and Cozumel.

Thanks!

Just go with the attitude that you will have fun and enjoy it and you will!

You might want to check the boards for packing ideas - I would suggest packing light, though. Remember to bring sunscreen. If the ship is going to be in Cozumel long enough, you might consider going to Tulum to see the Maya ruins - it is well worth the time and cost.

Make sure you have your citizenship documentation. Be sure to complete your fun pass online at least a month in advance.

Take a power strip.

If you like foo-foo drinks, order some drink coupons in advance from Carnival's Bon Voyage department to save yourself a little money.

Take a good attitude and have a great cruise.

We just returned from a week in Key west. Lots of historical tours. Buy a ticket to the Bone Island Shuttle. It'll take all around the island. Just jump off where you want, wait for the next shuttle and go to your next destination. Must do's: Sloppy Joe's, Captain Tony's (bars), Mallory Square at sunset, if the ship is still there at that time. Also, the "southern most point" is a great photo opportunity.

We've been to Cozumel twice, most recently last fall. Snorkling is great at Zul Ha. Bring your own gear, catch a cab at the pier to Zul Ha, but go early to beat the tour operators who will cloud up the water. For beach activities, nothing beats Paradise Beach. The cruise lines don't advertise it since they aligned with PB. But once you've been there, you'll agree, the best beach on Cozumel. Plenty of shopping at the pier or in downtown. For good nightlife, Carlos and Charlies and Fat Tuesday's are great.

Have fun and Bon Voyage!

If you like beaches try Paradise Beach. Loved it. Great food, drinks, clean restrooms, for 5.00 you get chair, umbrella, little table, use of snorkle equipment, kiyaks, and climbing iceburg, water trampoline.

Was a great day. Food is a little $$, but it was a fantastic day!

You can get a taxi from the pier. Maybe 15 minute ride.

Excellent advice from everyone. Thanks.

I do think we'll do the Paradise Beach. Is it easy to grab a cab from the pier? Is the cab ride very expensive?

Also, if we wanted to do a shore excursion without spending too much money to just see the sights.....what would you recommend?

Thanks for all the help.

Excellent advice from everyone. Thanks.

I do think we'll do the Paradise Beach. Is it easy to grab a cab from the pier? Is the cab ride very expensive?

Also, if we wanted to do a shore excursion without spending too much money to just see the sights.....what would you recommend?

Thanks for all the help.

The cab ride was 12 each way. We were not charged for chairs or unbrellas. Lunch was available as were drinks, bottled water, etc.

I love Key West and my fav place is Hog's Breath. Hemingway's place is cool to tour through. Most definetly, do not miss SunSet Celebration on Mallory Pier. There's so much to do in Key West, you can take the trolley tour if you like or just walk around and see the sites and shops and eateries. Just depends on what you want out of it.

Cozumel, we book our tours privately through Eagle Ray Divers. eagleray.com

Tell Chellie Teri from Texas sent you! She's a great gal and we have the very best time with them. I 've sent many a friend and family and will be rejoining them again this fall. They take care of you like you're part of their family. You can do a 1/2 day snorkel with them and still have time to hit Paradise Beach.

Carlos and Charlies is a chain and can be found in many places north of the border. It's just a lot of drinking and dancing and carrying on but if that floats your boat it will certainly serve the purpose! If you want to see more of the local flavor move on... :)

A small, lightweight pair of binoculars can be a good idea, as well as a back-up pair of sunglasses in case something happens to your primary pair.

They make these small bottles of sunscreen now that have clips that you can attach to your belt loop or purse strap - very handy.

Bonine (24-hour chewable tablets - non-drowsy formula - one tablet each night before turning in) can help you avoid seasickness if you are susceptible. sssss :)

I second getting Trolley tickets in Key West. We did that and really enjoyed it. We reserved the tickets online before we went, and paid a fair bit less than what the cruise line charged for the same tour.

Cozumel, cheapest would be to take a taxi into town and just wander on your own. I'd look into either a taxi ride or tour to one of the eco parks in the area though (X'caret, Xel-Ha, or Chankanaab). We did an all-inclusive land trip to Playa last summer and really loved our tour to Xel-Ha/Tulim. From a cruise ship, you'll probably be on a tighter schedule for that tour though. Chankanaab on the island is probably a better choice, as both X'caret and Xel-Ha require a ferry ride to the mainland and back.

Bonine is good if you are lightly susceptible to motion sickness. The couple times I've had to ask, the front desk on the ships had such pills for free. My wife is very susceptible to motion sickness, and now cruises with the Rx patches in hand. They work great, last 3 days at a time, although they cost $5/patch or more depending on your Rx plan.

Thanks!

The only advice I can give is that I hope you used a knowledgeable TA to book this cruise. The reason for this is that there is no one-size-fits-all with cruiselines and ships. A good TA will take the time to ask you lots of questions, determine your interests, likes and dislikes, and then match you with the perfect ship/itinerary possible. He/she will also be but a phone call away for any questions/concerns that crop up before the trip.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We did use a TA, it was the one through our credit union - and they were very helpful with information, etc., so we've been pleased so far. I think I may call them back and ask "just what can you tell me that I don't know" to see if I can get more information that I hadn't thought of or gotten on these boards.

Everyone's been so helpful. Thanks!

gkrnjlr....

In Cozumel, we spent the day @ an All Inclusive Resort. The cost was $50.00 per adult and $25.00 per child.

The cost included....food, alcohol, non-alcohol, non motorized water sports, snorkeling, etc....

The Resort is called: The Grand Cozumel.

http://www.grandcozumel.com

It is a 15 minute cab drive from the pier.

Day pass Hours: 8am - 6pm

A very nice place. New...opened in 2002.

They do not sell the day passes in advance. They will not advertise the day pass anywhere on their site. Communicate with them via email....and they will confirm that they sell a day pass.

They go out on "snorkeling trips". If interested, get a snorkeling reservation with the "activities desk" as soon as you get on the property.

I highly recommend this place. Great food. Weak drinks....but they gladly will make them stronger when you ask.

Archived