Purchasing Cigarettes on Board

Chrisp414

Here was my recent experience (disembarked the Splendor on 4/23/2013 in NYC). On board Marlboro Lights were $75/2 cartons or $160/ 5 cartons, we went to Bermuda so in port the cigarettes were just as expensive as in Manhattan. I used 1 carton on board and declared the 4 cartons left to customs. There was a duty charge of $30.21 due on the 3 carton overage from the allowable limit of 1 per adult over 19.

Please note any duty charge for overages will vary from port to port and there is a different limit of allowable take home cartons per adult based on the place of purchase. (Smoking materials bought and used while on vacation prior to re-entering the USA do not count towards any duty charges.) We have paid a little as $6 per carton on overages in Baltimore and as much as $12 per carton upon return to Bayonne NJ. (Though we have not cruised from TX we have read online of overages of both cigarettes and alcohol being confiscated at border entries in that state.)

The allowable carry home limit in general is 1 carton of cigarettes purchased in Mexico, South America, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia, Pacific Islands, or on board. But this changes if the cigarettes are purchased in the US Virgin Islands or a US territory such as Guam, I do believe the current take home limit is 5 cartons of cigarettes as long as at least 1 carton is manufactured on the US territory island. Also remember that some CBP clerks may choose to just wave you through without assessing a duty even with overages, but don't count on it.

Just off Liberty on the 20th. Marlboro was 2/$50. They had some in the 5 pack suitcase, just not the ones that I needed, so I didn't take note of the price. Also got some Camel Silver (? only recognize them by sight) for 2/$52. On both the Fascination & Sensation they sold out of the most popular Marlboro brands by the 2nd day, so go early!

I brought back 5 full cartons and a few loose packs this last cruise, claimed all of them on my customs form and they didn't bat an eye at me. I've read all sorts of variations on paying/not paying duty on extras, so YMMV.

I always make the gift shop my first thing upon getting on the ship, because they do seem to get low on stock during the week.....buy the 2 carton Marlboro's light Menthol silver Pack for $ 50.....have one for the week and take the other off the ship.....

Hello again! Thanks for all the prompt responses. I'm directly responding to this one because of the Marlboro Lights - which is what my husband smokes (so he'll be happy - yes, he is picky about the brand he smokes) and also to congratulate you two on quitting - I'm always telling him to try the e-cigs and he looks at me like I have two heads!!!

p.s. I am a reformed smoker myself. I know it's up to the individual to quit on their own (no one could force me before) I just wish he would - even our grandchildren ask him not to.

I went to the ecig and haven't smoked for 8 months now. It works and is absolutely painless so just get it for him and he'll use it.

Does Carnival allow the e-cigs in cabins? Just curious as I know HAL does.

The FAQs say they consider them the same as cigarettes and not allowed.

I dont know if this is in practice as well. .. but they say not allowed the last time I read the rules.

The FAQs say they consider them the same as cigarettes and not allowed.

I dont know if this is in practice as well. .. but they say not allowed the last time I read the rules.

I vape all the time in my cabin and in my home. No smell. The only possible problem would be if you vape cookie flavored juice and that might cause the cabin steward to think you're baking in there!:eek: One of these days Carnival will realize its 2013.

One carton per person? I thought it was two per person. Maybe Customs changed it since the last time I bought cigarrettes on board.

Just wondering. The last time I cruised, 2011 two cartons were allowed duty free and another five (5) if they were purchases in the US Virgin Islands and you had a receipt. Anyone know when that V.I. exception ended? Again just wondering. By the way I mean St Thomas VI.

Just wondering. The last time I cruised, 2011 two cartons were allowed duty free and another five (5) if they were purchases in the US Virgin Islands and you had a receipt. Anyone know when that V.I. exception ended? Again just wondering. By the way I mean St Thomas VI.

It hasn't ended. It still holds true. As I said in my earlier posting, I bought two cartons on the ship, and five in St. Thomas. Going through customs the lady ask me where I bought the cigarettes. I told her St. Thomas and she waved us through.

I have brought back as much as 12 cartons and had never had an issue:eek:. Maybe just luck, but a fact.

On my last cruise on the Liberty this past January, my BFF brought back 20 cartons...Again, no issues.

;)

Where do you put all of them? I had a hard time finding space for 5 cartons.

[quote name='mn_isla_girl']Where do you put all of them? I had a hard time finding space for 5 cartons.[/quote]

[B][COLOR=navy]I pack light and take a large suite case. I have a zipper linning on the bottom of my luggage and it fits 10 cartons easily. I then just zip it up and pack my clothes on top. I also break down a few cartons and put in my purse, backpack etc. [/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=navy]I also have the DH with me and he assists ;).[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/B]

Archived