Photo Review: Allure Eastern 4/14/2013 The Good Karma Cruise

Thanks, The differences in areas and prices always confused me till I got there and stayed in several different places! Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Funny! Seriously though, if you have a kid with this "ability"; they recommend you have their hearts screened. Sometimes people with joints like this actually have a connective tissue disorder which can affect the heart valves and aorta...( a contortionist entertainer we saw once actually mentioned this after his show once!) Our kids are screened regularly because in fact DH DOES have such a disorder! So far so good with the kids, but we keep watching.

DO I smell cookies burning...oh oh! Did I say I had to "make" cookies? I actually meant I need to 'slice and bake" cookies. I think they might be done!:rolleyes:

1. The slice and bake cookies taste great. I don't much care what the ingredients list on the package says. I avoid reading those things for products that taste that good.

2. Even with his traumatic past, DS cannot do what your daughter can. But he has had his share of medical issues [from his elbow dislocations to allergies to asthma to ear infections/tubes to immuno-deficiencies to the time I fell on him and almost blew at his knee (when he was about 18 months)] so I am sure he has been well screened over the years.

Keep going with the review -- it is great.

familygoboston,

Are you referring to Marfans syndrome? I have a cousin who was diagnosed with it when they discovered an odd heart problem for someone his age..since then his other brother has had the heart repair as well...and they are watching the youngest brother too. Pretty scary stuff. I tell people the same thing...

Lauri

Very comprehensive review. I love it.

We heard Roxy on the Explorer. He's our favorite Schooner Bar piano player.

Can't wait for the next installment.

I got the idea he was new...Alan was checking him out one night because it was his first week, but I guess it was just his first week on Allure. We like him a lot too!

familygoboston,

Are you referring to Marfans syndrome? I have a cousin who was diagnosed with it when they discovered an odd heart problem for someone his age..since then his other brother has had the heart repair as well...and they are watching the youngest brother too. Pretty scary stuff. I tell people the same thing...

Lauri

The one in DH's family is unspecified, not Marfans, but yes , that's one

type of connective tissue disorder. I'm glad your friends were treated before it was an emergency. My BIL had a friend who died with an aneurism from undiagnosed Marfans. Very sad! We feel blessed we were aware of thus before anything tragic could occur!

Hi Familygoboston. I got home from work, started our dinner and signed in to see how all the happy cruisers on CC are....and there is another review from you!! Yea :). I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts (and tips) on the Allure. Your reviews and pictures are an enjoyable way to put off housework. Thank you.

Thanks so much for this wonderful review. We are taking our first ever cruise on the Allure in about 2 months and I love reading these reviews. I am so excited you are posting the info for the teens. We will be bring our 15 year old son with us and I keep trying to talk up the teen activities. I am going to print them out so he can look at some of the activities. This is going to be so helpful. Can't wait for the rest of the trip!

May I ask, where did you get those "note boards" from & are they magnetic?

I picked these up at target, and they are cheap!! They are magnetic and have a pen and even a little magnet. I had a great white board that I won at the M&M on Oasis and when it came time to sail I could not find it anywhere:( We had used it on Jewel and I was sure I brought it home! Tip- the kind that made from a sheet magnet will stick better because Allures doors are "textured " and the magnet "spots" on this style did not sit completely flush, but it worked well enough!

Hi Familygoboston. I got home from work, started our dinner and signed in to see how all the happy cruisers on CC are....and there is another review from you!! Yea :). I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts (and tips) on the Allure. Your reviews and pictures are an enjoyable way to put off housework. Thank you.

Thanks Happy! I appreciate that you have "followed my reviews!!" Anything to help with (putting off) the housework!!

Thanks so much for this wonderful review. We are taking our first ever cruise on the Allure in about 2 months and I love reading these reviews. I am so excited you are posting the info for the teens. We will be bring our 15 year old son with us and I keep trying to talk up the teen activities. I am going to print them out so he can look at some of the activities. This is going to be so helpful. Can't wait for the rest of the trip!

We've been waiting for your review! Our soon to be 16 DD is looking forward to the teen tips. Thanks for sharing your cruise with us :D.

My teens thought this ship was made for teens! I liked that it was big enough for everyone to find their "crowd"- like High School. If it had only been the gorgeous blondes all wearing their matching white short shorts, with the "letterman" hanging around, my kids would have been very out of place. But they found the other quirky, geeky kids and had a blast, as were the beautiful kids! SO every kid will find their niche!:D

I sold my (slice and bake) cookies tonight at the cabaret concert, so now I am too pooped to post...I have a lot more done, and will post a bunch tomorrow; for know I am going to look at Randy's review:D

Thanks for another very entertaining and humorous review. I know I tell you this everytime...but I mean it everytime. I've read all of them, some many times, and they keep getting better. I love the girls trips. Took me awhile to find the Galapogos trip.

I know this sounds crazy, but when the tragedy occurred I thought of your family. You sound so athletic on your shore excursions I thought for sure if you weren't in the marathon you could be watching. I obviously spend too much time on CC, and this could border on stalking, but you were in my thoughts. I'm glad you were on a cruise. Keep up the great work as your fans await.

Oh Kathleen you are going to kill me before this marathon weekend of CC posting and reading is over! It's 1:20 am and here I sit sucked into reading your review while at the same time trying to write mine.

But it should make for an interesting back and forth comparison of posting all weekend! Hopefully the CC community will enjoy our parallel reviews.

For those of you who read the Familygoboston reviews regularly but have never had the opportunity to actually sail away with them just let me say that they are fantastic folks! Kathleen is every bit as witty and charming in person as she is in her writing and her husband is a great guy as well. I even had fun teasing their daughters throughout the whole cruise because we kept seeing them everywhere!

Ok I really have to get some sleep!

Thanks for another very entertaining and humorous review. I know I tell you this everytime...but I mean it everytime. I've read all of them, some many times, and they keep getting better. I love the girls trips. Took me awhile to find the Galapogos trip.

I know this sounds crazy, but when the tragedy occurred I thought of your family. You sound so athletic on your shore excursions I thought for sure if you weren't in the marathon you could be watching. I obviously spend too much time on CC, and this could border on stalking, but you were in my thoughts. I'm glad you were on a cruise. Keep up the great work as your fans await.

Oh, I think that's very sweet and not stalker ish at all! I think we all get to "know" one another and when you hear about regional issues, you worry! Like we all did with our Ny/Nj friends after Sandy. (I can't believe I said something nice about NY/NJ sports fans ;))

Anyway, thanks you for your kind comments and your concern. Luckily, we were cruising, and I haven't run since my early 40s due to injuries ( we cycle and ski now) but certainly we have plenty of friends who still run.

I spend too much time on CC too:p and now I have to keep going on this review!

Oh Kathleen you are going to kill me before this marathon weekend of CC posting and reading is over! It's 1:20 am and here I sit sucked into reading your review while at the same time trying to write mine.

But it should make for an interesting back and forth comparison of posting all weekend! Hopefully the CC community will enjoy our parallel reviews.

For those of you who read the Familygoboston reviews regularly but have never had the opportunity to actually sail away with them just let me say that they are fantastic folks! Kathleen is every bit as witty and charming in person as she is in her writing and her husband is a great guy as well. I even had fun teasing their daughters throughout the whole cruise because we kept seeing them everywhere!

Ok I really have to get some sleep!

Thanks for that, Randy, that is so kind of you to say!...I'm enjoying your review so far!! I won't "give away" the ending, but Jeff and I really enjoyed meeting you both too! We aren't antisocial (I think:confused:) but a lot of times we just enjoy each others company on cruises and don't "click" with anyone in particular...but we did hit it off with your guys and we really loved cruising with you both and IF AMY ends up liking cruising or anything like that:p we hope to do it again!!:D We had a lot of laughs and I expect we will have more down the road, my friend!

I thought it was great how much you knew about Allure before you had ever stepped foot on the ship...you really did do your homework!!:D

Day 2 April 15 Nassau, Bahamas: A day on which we learn there IS a such a thing as a free lunch

(compass)

149870837.jpg

149870838.jpg

149870822.jpg

149870829.jpg

Another beautiful day (Oh, sorry, I forgot we were done with weather!). Our starboard side cabin was facing the pier, instead of being "backed in" as these ships usually are in Nassau, we were in bow first. We were alongside the Celebrity, making a Bahama and some Caribbean stops before heading across the Atlantic for the Mediterranean. We also shared port with a Disney ship and a Carnival Ship.

(photos of ships in port)

149870503.jpg

Blue Lagoon

We were up early for an excursion to Blue Lagoon. We enjoyed room service breakfast on the balcony and were out on the pier for our only ship excursion of the week, Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter NS63 $130 pp. In all our cruises we have never done a dolphin interaction, we picked this one because it was about $50 pp cheaper than the Atlantis interaction, and we had visited Atlantis once before and just didn't find the experience worth the price for such a short day. The Blue Lagoon also included use of their beautiful beach with beach chairs and umbrellas. Also, to get to Blue Lagoon, you take a large ferry, and we always enjoy getting on the water in small craft whenever possible.

It took about 30 minutes to "check in" with at least another 300 people doing some kind of Blue lagoon excursion, then another 20-30 minutes to get to the Blue Lagoon via the ferry (though this is very pleasant and the guides will narrate the sites for you).

(these are the celebrity homes on Paradise Island)

149870502.jpg

149870477.jpg

When we arrived, at BL, passengers were directed to their particular excursion, and the Dolphin Encounter folks met in a covered pavilion to have an interactive discussion about the dolphins with a trainer as a group. We were then broken into smaller groups of 20 people and led to a square of platforms floating in the water. At each platform is an area where you can lock your valuables in a locker (included) and leave less valuable items within your sight on the benches. We then went out onto the platforms. We had about 30 minutes to interact with the dolphin while sitting on a shallow platforms, and each family was invited onto a platform of waist deep water twice, once to have photos taken and then for interactions with the dolphins.

(photos of dolphin interactions)

149870478.jpg

149870481.jpg

149870483.jpg

149870484.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Blue Lagoon

They do take a ton of photos and have various packages, but frankly, they don't push it, and we were able to bring our own camera right onto the platform and take our own photos. You could also have your observer take photos if you have one. You will need to pass the camera off to another person so both hands are free for the dolphin (you and your dolphin will be getting to know each other REAL well, there is hugging, dancing and kissing...and he didn't even buy us any...umm, sunscreen... before all of this!

(photos of dolphin interactions)

(Hugging)

149870485.jpg

149870488.jpg

(Dancing)

149870490.jpg

(Kissing...get a room!)

149870489.jpg

You can see that you are only ever in waist deep water for this one, so even if you are not a strong swimmer you could do it, but do anticipate anyone who may be nervous being this close to a large animal. You really do get up close and personal, although the trainer is there at all times!

Edited by Familygoboston

Blue Lagoon

After the interaction, we were free to sit on the beach till the 11, 11:30 or 12:30 ferry back to the pier. We chose the 12:30 ferry so we'd have more time on the beach. Also taking the ferries over and back are people signed up for the Beach Break ($64 which includes some floaties, and lunch), Sea Lion Encounter ($139), Dolphin Swim ($199) Observers (ie Grandma's coming along to watch- for $30)

There is a $15 extra charge to use the in water toys and slides, so negotiate whether this is an option ahead of time with the youngsters in your party. If you do the Beach Break, your party can hang out on the bridges over the water and watch as much of the Encounter or Swim with the animals as you'd like, they swim our out into the lagoon and leap in the air, squeal, and swim backwards, all of which you can watch as part of the cost of the Beach Break...a good way to observe the animals even if you think you or your kids are too nervous to interact with the animals directly.

(photos of Blue Lagoon trip)

(this is what you can see if you are just doing the Beach part)

149870479.jpg

(The ruins at the entrance to Blue Lagoon)

149870493.jpg

(the beach)

149870491.jpg

(the $15 AI water toys)

149870496.jpg

(more water toys)

149870494.jpg

Blue Lagoon

After our encounter, we made our way to a few chairs under a palm tree and we all took a dip in the calm lagoon. Our good karma continued when a woman on her way out from the Beach Break (she was bailing to go to Senor Frogs) offered us 2 passes for the Beach Break lunch, which was great since our teens were already agitating about food! Who says there is no free lunch! More good karma! We got two lunches, which included a hamburger, fries, fruit and punch, and shared that and some nuts I had brought along.

(photos of lunch and lunch area, map of Blue Lagoon)

(map- you can see it's a large place, so if the area you are in looks a little crowded, just keep walking! But nothing was what I would call "crowded"!)

149870492.jpg

(activity prices and services; note that they had additional early ferries for the Allure passengers becasue so many of us had to be back by 1:30 PM)

149870497.jpg

(picnic pavilion)

149870499.jpg

(buffet)

149870495.jpg

(the free lunch!)

149870498.jpg

(This beach area is behind the picnic pavilion, another quiet spot if the beaches in the "front" are busier) There is some snorkeling here and there are life guards on all the beaches)

149870500.jpg

In review, we felt that the Blue Lagoon was a good value; we were able to enjoy a family friendly beach, have a dolphin interaction and a little cruise through the harbor. In a port with such short call time, being on a sanctioned RCL excursion, just felt safer. And the facilities and staff were top notch.

This is a private island, so it's pretty secure; only employees and other cruise passengers. There were no people wandering the beach to sell things or offering to braid the armpit hair of bald men. (Ok, I stole that joke from the comedian on board and modified it!) But you could go to a pavilion to get your hair braids if you like that!

We would probably do this again as the beach break if we ever sail to Nassau again, because there really is little else to do in this port except, city and land tours (which don't interest us and we have walked around town and done the pirate museum in the past), Atlantis, (which we found too expensive and didn't enjoy) and the Rainbow Reef snorkeling, which I reviewed in Oasis and we felt was too many people for a snorkel tour and not particularly great snorkeling anyway, although it was a reasonable price.

Blue Lagoon

After the interaction, we were free to sit on the beach till the 11, 11:30 or 12:30 ferry back to the pier. We chose the 12:30 ferry so we'd have more time on the beach. Also taking the ferries over and back are people signed up for the Beach Break ($64 which includes some floaties, and lunch), Sea Lion Encounter ($139), Dolphin Swim ($199) Observers (ie Grandma's coming along to watch- for $30)

There is a $15 extra charge to use the in water toys and slides, so negotiate whether this is an option ahead of time with the youngsters in your party. If you do the Beach Break, your party can hang out on the bridges over the water and watch as much of the Encounter or Swim with the animals as you'd like, they swim our out into the lagoon and leap in the air, squeal, and swim backwards, all of which you can watch as part of the cost of the Beach Break...a good way to observe the animals even if you think you or your kids are too nervous to interact with the animals directly.

(photos of Blue Lagoon trip)

(this is what you can see if you are just doing the Beach part)

149870479.jpg

(The ruins at the entrance to Blue Lagoon)

149870493.jpg

(the beach)

149870491.jpg

(the $15 AI water toys)

149870496.jpg

(more water toys)

149870494.jpg

Nothing personal meant but I wonder how happy those Dolphins are, forced to do behaviors on a daily bases not associated with normal behaviors of their species. I'm willing to bet not very.

Edited by smeck

Nothing personal meant but I wonder how happy those Dolphins are, forced to do behaviors on a daily bases not associated with normal behaviors of their species. I'm willing to bet not very.

During our dolphin talk, important rules about encountering marine mammals in the wild were discussed; could more people knowing those rules save a marine mammal one day? Could it make those folks want to advocate for marine protection when it comes up for a vote in their town/county? During our encounter, our dolphin (who was free to do so at any time) swam out of the pen for a "break" according the trainer. He frolicked around a bit and we waited, and then when he was wanting some more attention, he came back.

You raise a valid concern. Animals are "used" (and eaten) all over the globe and lots of people have concerns about the treatment and welfare of animals. We've traveled lots of places to see animals in their natural habitats. My kids got to see lions in Botswana, and now they care about what happens to the lions on our planet, but what about the families that don't have 50 grand to go on safari? Should they not have the opportunity to learn about conservation in a well run zoo with animals bred and raised in captivity?

Should we even be eating meat? I don't, does this mean on the "karmic" scale I am doing less damage to environment by participating in an aquarium program with captive dolphins than some guy eating a steak in the MDR every night? Who decides?

I believe these are good questions and we all make our choices, and that most people do their best to choose to make good ones. I don't believe in judging someone else's conservation actions, because I can't possibly see the whole picture.