Boarding Queen Elizabeth 26th May - What's Next?

BORDER REIVER

On past cruises, we were checking in at around 2.30pm - 3.30pm, having travelled 9-10 hours by bus & hadn't a lot of time to spare until sail-away.

This time we will be staying the night before in the Premier Inn and have been given a check in time of 12.30pm. We were wondering about what time we would likely board and the best things to do before departure. Is it best to unpack first or to find somewhere to eat first, then unpack.

What is sailway like with Cunard? On P&O's Aurora, there were only about 20 or 30 pax gathered on deck with a handful of crew selling glasses of bubbly for over £4 each - and that was it - a bit of a disappointment really.

Any info from seasoned Cunarders will be appreciated.

We usually overnight in London to avoid the 9-10 hr journey, especially as the pick up locations in NE England mean we'd have to drive over an hour to get there - then what do you do with your car?

We usually board about 12-1 pm. Alot depends on when your cases arrive. Usually grab a bite in the Lido and marvel at the number of vehicles being exported and the speed they're driven on and off ships. Have a wander round the ship, just to make sure nothings been relocated since last time. Then it's a visit back to the Lido for a couple of glasses of orange juice which we use to make Bucks fizz from the Pol Acker (a vast improvement) and unpack. Don't forget the safety drill before sailaway.

If it's a sunny day there will usually be a few dozen around for the sailaway party with the ubiquitous Caribbean Band. We usually hang around till 'Brown Eyed Girl' then make our exit. Really the whole thing is not to worry, just relax and go with the flow for hat should be an amazing holiday,

MrsH

We usually overnight in London to avoid the 9-10 hr journey, especially as the pick up locations in NE England mean we'd have to drive over an hour to get there - then what do you do with your car?

We usually board about 12-1 pm. Alot depends on when your cases arrive. Usually grab a bite in the Lido and marvel at the number of vehicles being exported and the speed they're driven on and off ships. Have a wander round the ship, just to make sure nothings been relocated since last time. Then it's a visit back to the Lido for a couple of glasses of orange juice which we use to make Bucks fizz from the Pol Acker (a vast improvement) and unpack. Don't forget the safety drill before sailaway.

If it's a sunny day there will usually be a few dozen around for the sailaway party with the ubiquitous Caribbean Band. We usually hang around till 'Brown Eyed Girl' then make our exit. Really the whole thing is not to worry, just relax and go with the flow for hat should be an amazing holiday,

MrsH

Thanks for the reply, most helpful. It's our first time with Cunard, so aren't at all familiar with the ship. We have to be out of our hotel by 12.00, so expect to be arriving at QE11 Terminal in time to check in as required. It sounds like the best thing will be to find our room then to go and have a bite to eat as we're on 2nd sitting for dinner. I see Independence of The Seas is due to sail about the same time, so might be a photo opportunity there.

I usually head off to take some photos of the ship before others start filling up the spaces - the shots I get then are so lacking in people that it looks like my own private ship :D Then it's unpack, strawberries and champagne (BYOB unless you really feel the need to gain first-hand experience of Pol Acker to fit in on that thread when it raises its ugly head again) and a wander out for the sailaway (although a long drive plus a very nice bottle on the last trip meant I slept through it)

Just enjoy - beats leaving the UK on a plane!

Hi Border Reiver. Just one thing the QE sails from Ocean Terminal on the 26th not the QE11 terminal (according to our itinerary). However it does return to the QE11 terminal on June 9th. Don't get on the wrong ship !!! LOL.

Hi Border Reiver, Join us on our roll call and help plan a sail away get together. We already have a get together on the first sea day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1790322

Thanks for the offer but I'll have to give it a miss. I would come along, but my wife and her sister are not good at meeting other people in a group - I usually have to lead the way in getting to know fellow diners at the dining table. Once they get to know folk, they're fine though.

I'm not sure exactly what they want to do yet, but no doubt we will meet and get to know other cruisers at some stage.

Thanks for the offer though.

Hi Border Reiver. Just one thing the QE sails from Ocean Terminal on the 26th not the QE11 terminal (according to our itinerary). However it does return to the QE11 terminal on June 9th. Don't get on the wrong ship !!! LOL.

Thanks for that. When I posted, it was from memory and as my wife will tell anybody, my short-term memory is pretty bad. I've found the cruise documents now and I'll make sure I put a reminder on my phone too.

Archived