Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

I also laminate the copies in simple clear contact paper

I keep a business card sized copy in my wallet when travelling. The copy worked when I got a pay-as-you-go sim from Vodafone.

Is there some kind of money belt/carrier that will stay secure and waterproof while I'm snorkeling? If I can keep my stuff with me I'll feel more secure, rather than renting a locker.

I like the Alligator Wallet

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Dry-Alligator-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE

When you cruise Alaska certain excursions require you to have passports so you are really limiting yourself.

That's in Skagway and only if you want to go into Canada. There are many other things to do if you don't have a passport. You can actually go into Canada without the passport, but you can't get back into the U.S. LOL .So, if you want to take the WPYR, you're absolutely right that you'll need your passport. Personally, I wouldn't get a passport for just that, but others may have different priorities. I did, however, use that as an excuse with my ex-husband to get a passport for our daughter. :p I knew that would be much easier than trying to get one at a later date so we could go to Europe--we started planning our Europe vacation before he and I split, and obviously he's not going on it now, so I doubt it would have been as easy to get him to agree to helping me get her one now. I was thinking ahead. :D

Im not sure where you need to obtain your bc from, but here in Ohio, you could walk in to any number of government offices and obtain a certified copy with a raised seal within a few minutes for about $20. If for some reason you couldnt go to the offices, you could order one online for about $50 overnighted.

Same here--just go into the office and prove you are who you say you are or the guardian of the person whose BC you want. I can't imagine it taking months!

Im not sure where you need to obtain your bc from, but here in Ohio, you could walk in to any number of government offices and obtain a certified copy with a raised seal within a few minutes for about $20. If for some reason you couldnt go to the offices, you could order one online for about $50 overnighted.

Each member of my family has 2 copies of their BC (which was much easier (less than 2 weeks ordered on line) and much cheaper to get than the passport I just got).

I'm so old that my original BC was chiseled in a piece of granite. Those are especially difficult to make copies of and take bit more time! :D

The regs will very likely change eventually. but when they do, you'll have plenty of warning.

DHS determined that US citizens traveling on a closed loop cruise within the Western Hemisphere represent a very low risk to the National Security. If that assessment changes then maybe they will consider changing the regulations but until then I doubt it.

Yes for many people it is about the money. They will spend many hundreds for a cruise bun not a little over a hundred for a passport. As far as having to put it up all at once that is only for the first time. Then you can put away $10-15 a year and save up for the renewal.

For others it is because that have a phobia that the government is tracking them everywhere and truly believe that without a passport that is less likely.

Just wait until everyone in the US has to carry an Oamacare card and they start to charge for that!

Yes, I do know when a chance to travel abroad may occur and for the forseeable future that chance is close to nil (but if the chance did occur there would be time to obtain a passport at that time). It's not like a fairy godmother is going to drop an international trip into my lap;).

You never know....I have seen some incredibly cheap trips to Europe, whether for a weekend or a week. To say the chance to go to Europe is close to nil to me means that you probably don't have the vacation time to go, not because of the cost. We do have passports, because 1) passport card wasn't an option when I got my passport, and 2) we do leave the country at least twice a year. Our trip to Europe this fall will be the first one, because we keep our vacation time fairly low thanks to all of our travels, but I would hate for everything on these cheap European trips to come together, only to not be able to go for lack of a passport.

I agree. I think it just comes down to money. We each have ours and I'll get one for the baby as soon as I'm able. As mentioned they're good for 10 years so why not. That makes them what 10 or 15 bucks a year? Most of us waste that on coffee or cigarettes in a week, or day depending on your bent.

I'm Canadian so mine only lasts 5 years and iirc is no cheaper than a US passport. I have no sympathy for the expense argument ;) don't even get me started on how hard it is to get somebody to take a picture that conforms to Canadian passport requirements in the South! Sears used to do them but now that they're closing their photo studios I guess I'm back to square one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same applies for my wife as she's Canadian as well. We definitely understand the frustration of trying to find someplace in the US to take pictures that conform to Canada's guidelines. I think the last time we did this, we found that Walgreen's could do it.

You never know....I have seen some incredibly cheap trips to Europe, whether for a weekend or a week. To say the chance to go to Europe is close to nil to me means that you probably don't have the vacation time to go, not because of the cost. We do have passports, because 1) passport card wasn't an option when I got my passport, and 2) we do leave the country at least twice a year. Our trip to Europe this fall will be the first one, because we keep our vacation time fairly low thanks to all of our travels, but I would hate for everything on these cheap European trips to come together, only to not be able to go for lack of a passport.

It's a combination of time (both for DW and myself) and money, but getting time off from work is very rarely a problem. I don't even look at European vacations right now and if I'm not looking I won't see any cheap trips.;)

Yes for many people it is about the money. They will spend many hundreds for a cruise bun not a little over a hundred for a passport. As far as having to put it up all at once that is only for the first time. Then you can put away $10-15 a year and save up for the renewal.

For others it is because that have a phobia that the government is tracking them everywhere and truly believe that without a passport that is less likely.

Just wait until everyone in the US has to carry an Oamacare card and they start to charge for that!

I don't spend money if I don't have to and for travel on a closed loop cruise I don't have to spend the money for a passport because there are alternatives. Kind of like I didn't buy car insurance until I had a car:).

If I were to travel to Europe I would want more than a cheap week end. Having passports on hand for last minute cheap travel to Europe is not a benefit to us because we can't just take off on a whim. A vacation to Europe (or anywhere) would take months for us to plan between DH and I trying to get time off together and fitting it into the kids schedules. We are definately not a spare of the moment type of family. Our vacations are usually planned at a minimum of 6 months in advance, usually longer.

For others it not spending their money on something that is not required and has an extremely low chance of being needed. Somehow you guys keep missing the point.

I figure the people without a passport, at least on these boards, should be aware of the risk. They have decided to take it. The overwhelming majority of them will not have a problem that requires them to fly and therefore obtain a passport while traveling.

It is their choice.

To take the bolded sentences in order: if I got a passport now but didn't use it for 5 years then 5 years have been wasted, but if I wait to get it until I need it then I will not have wasted it.

Yes, I do know when a chance to travel abroad may occur and for the forseeable future that chance is close to nil (but if the chance did occur there would be time to obtain a passport at that time). It's not like a fairy godmother is going to drop an international trip into my lap;).

For me and mine that risk is very low and that's why we do have travel insurance in the event that it does happen.

I do have the proper identification for leaving the country.

Could not agree more! And, yes, I do have a passport as I went to Canada via plane on business a couple years ago and had to have one!

Same here--just go into the office and prove you are who you say you are or the guardian of the person whose BC you want. I can't imagine it taking months!

We have passports so it is a moot point but some states do not allow you to order a copy of your birth certificate online - only snail mail - so it can take a while when you live thousands of miles away.

I can see why people hesitate to spend that kind of money for small children, but I can't see why you wouldn't just get a passport for yourself as an adult. It's good for 10 years so, although the initial outlay may seem a lot, it really isn't. And you never know when the chance to travel abroad may occur and then you've already got your passport. And heaven forbid you're injured in port or late back to the ship. To me, it's silly not to make sure you have proper identification when traveling outside the US. I'll bet many of those who balk at the cost think nothing of spending much more than that on drinking. It's like the folks who don't purchase insurance and then have an incident where they have to cancel and come here begging, "Is there anything I can do?" Yes, plan wisely when you travel and spend the money on a passport and trip insurance. Not purchasing these items is a gamble and you're gambling on your own safety and finances.

I have to agree, even though I'v suffered greatly financially in this economic down-turn. However, I also agree with Sparks. I wouldn't order one JUST to have it. But if I'm going to be traveling outside the USA, even if it's in a way that doesn't absolutely REQUIRE a passport, I would (and have) obtain one.

I live in the northeast and can visit Canada as a driving/long-weekend vacation. Can't do so any more without a passport. (I'm sure those in the southwest would say the same about Mexico.) It just makes sense. Yeah...it's a huge hassle and it's painfully expensive. But it's LESS complicated in the long run and it's a one-document-fits-all item that I've used even when not traveling.

Starting a new job and need to prove your citizenship? ONE document.

Registering to vote and need to prove age and citizenship? ONE document.

Traveling and need to prove citizenship? ONE document.

Edited by printingchick

We have passports so it is a moot point but some states do not allow you to order a copy of your birth certificate online - only snail mail - so it can take a while when you live thousands of miles away.

I also have a passport, but when I got it I just went downtown to "City Hall" and got an official copy of my BC. DD was born in AZ but we live in OR. When I needed her BC to get her passport, I simply ordered it from the city where she was born and it took about a week. Even ordering snail mail, I can't imagine it would take months to get one. That's all I was saying. YMMV.

What would be the point of getting a passport card. It is a total waste of money.:confused:

Bill

The passport card is for those individuals who know they will use it only for cruises, since it cannot be used for international travel.

For a family of four the passport card is $220. For a family of four purchasing the passport book it's over $500, so there is a bit of savings there. If you know that you are not going to travel overseas, the passport card would benefit the individual/families better. It just depends on if the passport card fits their needs.

The passport card is for those individuals who know they will use it only for cruises, since it cannot be used for international travel.

For a family of four the passport card is $220. For a family of four purchasing the passport book it's over $500, so there is a bit of savings there. If you know that you are not going to travel overseas, the passport card would benefit the individual/families better. It just depends on if the passport card fits their needs.

I do not understand why someone would buy a passport card to use on cruises. The card does not do anything that the BC/DL does not. It is a complete waste of money. The card only offers value if the individual is going to walk or drive across the border to Canada or Mexico. With the card you can make those border crosssings. With a BC/DL you cannot

I do not understand why someone would buy a passport card to use on cruises. The card does not do anything that the BC/DL does not. It is a complete waste of money. The card only offers value if the individual is going to walk or drive across the border to Canada or Mexico. With the card you can make those border crosssings. With a BC/DL you cannot

It is only a complete waste of money if you can't/won't be using it for land border crossings (its original purpose, which was to provide a more cost effective alternative for people living in border communities). That it can be used for cruises (both closed loop and open) is an added benefit to those individuals. A passport card would fit my travel needs for the foreseeable future quite well- if I needed to go to Canada, which I don't:).

If those people know they are not traveling overseas they can save an additional $220 by just using their birth certificates and government issued ID

Bill

I don't understand how it could take months to get a BC.. even if not for getting a passport everyone should have a certified copy of their BC. Also, everyone should have their SS card or a replacement stashed somewhere. As for the hassle involved for a passport you go online and complete and print the application. Stop at Walgreens, CVS, camera shops, Wally World or you can even take your own if you want. Then it's 10 minutes at your PO. 3 or 4 weeks later it's in your mailbox. a couple of days before or after your BC's are returned via your mail box. I even noticed a setup to take the pictures at the TA we used this time.