Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

What I can not understand is why some people are so passionate about others having passports...:confused: If you want one get one. If you want someone else to have one so badly, buy it for them...

Ron

Ditto!

I have one that is current. DH's is expired. DD does not have one. We planned on getting DD one when she was born, but we never got around to it. I'm glad we didn't because i wouldn't have been used for 4 out of the 5 years it's good for. We will be cruising this summer, and using her birth certificate for it. DH may or may not get his renewed before then, or he may upgrade his license to an enhanced one, but it's almost as much as a passport anyway, because of the licenses he has.

No one needs to worry about how anyone else is going to get back into the country. Worry about yourself, and I'll worry about me. :rolleyes:

P.S. If there were to be an incident where an entire ship of people had to go to a foreign country and fly home unexpectedly (like the Triumph almost did), special arrangements would be made for everyone on board that did not have a passport.

It'$ all about the money.

That's it exactly--passports are not cheap and when need to get them for an entire family--it really adds up and ends up in the "nice to have when we can afford it" category since it is not a mandatory requirement for most cruises.

Heck I'd never buy travel insurance let alone purchasing an uneeded passport. I have no problem playing the odds or deferring costs until needed.

I also take off comprensive insurance on my autos much earlier than than average consumer. Same with the ubiquitous "protection" plans on misc. purchases, I never get them.

I don't find much intrinsic value of owning something (say a passport or travel insurance) that may never be needed or "just in case". It's of no value to me.

At some point I'll likely have to pay out due to some issue. But the odds are in my favor I'll have already saved that much previously.

Having said that, I know have a passport. It's required for our Med. cruise so it was money, NOW, well spent.

Well, as insurance goes the main reason that I carry it is for the medevac coverage. I have the ability to absorb the loss of missing a cruise or having to pay for flights back if it became necessary but I don't have $30k-$50k just hanging around which is what medevac flights seem to run.

I got my passport when the cost wasn't as high as it is now, but my thinking about this whole passport thing is this. I was involved in 9/11 (I worked 3 blocks from the WTC) and after that horrible day, I truly believe that if you are traveling outside of the country for business or pleasure you should have a passport. Now I do understand that the cost of applying for a passport is very high. However, I went on the website for Passport Application and this is what I found. To apply for a passport it is $110, plus they add on $25 for execution fee, which brings the total to $135. There is also The U.S. Passport Card, which can be used to enter the US from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. This is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The cost for the passport card is $30, plus an execution fee of $25, total cost $55. So to me, no excuse for people not to have some form of passport book or card. The U.S. has been to soft about letting people in and out of our country without proper identification, and we have paid the price dearly for this. Sorry, but what me, and thousands of others went through on 9/11, I'm just a touchy when it comes to identification.

Well, as insurance goes the main reason that I carry it is for the medevac coverage. I have the ability to absorb the loss of missing a cruise or having to pay for flights back if it became necessary but I don't have $30k-$50k just hanging around which is what medevac flights seem to run.

That's why we cruise with passports - in case something happens to one of us.

I also agree that we could lose the cost of cruise & air, but a medivac flight could be a disaster for us since we are retired. Also, Medicare does not cover out of the country so we do want primary medical coverage.

By the way, we're in our early 70's and just renewed our passports for another 10 years. Hope to cruise for many, many more years.

Edited by Sparky2

OP: regardless of how people frame the issue on Cruisecritic I think it's absolutely about money. For a family of four that's over $300. That's a chunk of change. I think passports should be free. They are insanely expensive.

I got my passport when the cost wasn't as high as it is now, but my thinking about this whole passport thing is this. I was involved in 9/11 (I worked 3 blocks from the WTC) and after that horrible day, I truly believe that if you are traveling outside of the country for business or pleasure you should have a passport. Now I do understand that the cost of applying for a passport is very high. However, I went on the website for Passport Application and this is what I found. To apply for a passport it is $110, plus they add on $25 for execution fee, which brings the total to $135. There is also The U.S. Passport Card, which can be used to enter the US from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. This is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The cost for the passport card is $30, plus an execution fee of $25, total cost $55. So to me, no excuse for people not to have some form of passport book or card. The U.S. has been to soft about letting people in and out of our country without proper identification, and we have paid the price dearly for this. Sorry, but what me, and thousands of others went through on 9/11, I'm just a touchy when it comes to identification.

What would be the point of getting a passport card. It is a total waste of money.:confused:

Bill

I got my passport in 2007. I got married since then and I have to apply like it's the first time just to have my name changed. Same cost as getting it for the first time. At least I'll have 10 yrs before I have to renew it again. Unless I get divorced in that time and will have to pay all over again!

just book international travel in your maiden name..the one that is on the passport.

you never ever lose the right to your maiden name. It agrees with your birth certificate and it is what is on your marriage cert.

If I had a valid passport in my maiden name and was now traveling with dh to a foreign country..I would just book the floight/cruise or whatever in my maiden name.

Our plane tix would look as follows:

John Doe seat 22a

Mary Smith seat 22b

same for the ship..cabin 4012..John Doe and Mary Smith

Do you take your passport with you when you get off the ship during a port of call? I don't want to lose it when I'm snorkeling.

We do. We put them in a ziplock bag and then into a money belt that my husband wears around his waist under his swim shorts. (In regular touring, we both wear a money belt under our pants, but I don't swim in one.) On our last trip, the bag leaked and the passports got soaked- they are now very distorted from the dip, but customs didn't seem to bat an eye at that.

I've heard lots of people say they leave them on the ship, and that baffles me. The entire arguement to having one is to facilitate flying home if you miss the ship. What good is it if the passport is on the ship?

What would be the point of getting a passport card. It is a total waste of money.:confused:

Bill

It does nothing that a birth certificate doesn't do, and it takes just as much work to get as a passport book, so I guess it's the cost difference. Cost is why my DH may get the enhanced DL instead of renewing his passport right now.

I've heard lots of people say they leave them on the ship, and that baffles me. The entire arguement to having one is to facilitate flying home if you miss the ship. What good is it if the passport is on the ship?

Yeah, I don't get the point of that, either. I've seen so many people say they lock them in the safe as soon as they're on board. That won't help you if you miss the ship.

We do. We put them in a ziplock bag and then into a money belt that my husband wears around his waist under his swim shorts. (In regular touring, we both wear a money belt under our pants, but I don't swim in one.) On our last trip, the bag leaked and the passports got soaked- they are now very distorted from the dip, but customs didn't seem to bat an eye at that.

Having never had this happen to me, I don't know this to be a fact, but I have read online and here that your identification is left with the authorities at the pier if you miss your ship. Maybe someone else more experienced can verify whether or not this is accurate info.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It does nothing that a birth certificate doesn't do, and it takes just as much work to get as a passport book, so I guess it's the cost difference. Cost is why my DH may get the enhanced DL instead of renewing his passport right now.

A passport card allows you to cross land borders and is good at sea ports of entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda so it's good for non-closed loop cruises to/from those areas. While for most people it offers little value to some people it makes sense to have one. It was developed to provide a lower cost alternative to the passport book primarily for those living along one of the borders.

Is there some kind of money belt/carrier that will stay secure and waterproof while I'm snorkeling? If I can keep my stuff with me I'll feel more secure, rather than renting a locker.

I think passports should be free. They are insanely expensive.

:eek:

When I saw how intricate the new ones are, I was surprised mine wasn't more expensive!

My driver's license renewal just came and Maryland wants almost $40 for a five year period. Given the taxes I'm paying to live here, IMO that's insane!

What I can not understand is why some people are so passionate about others having passports...:confused: If you want one get one. If you want someone else to have one so badly, buy it for them...

Ron

I agree! Having a passport is important to me, so I have one. My daughter travels with me, so she has one, too. Why that would be important to anyone else is beyond me. And, I don't care if you have a passport--you are responsible for you. :D

We have a waterproof pouch that we keep the passports in. I think the purpose of a passport is for identification and you should always keep it with you when you travel. We use it when we fly domestically as it is the best form of identification.

You never know what will happen. Remember when the Carnival Victory had to leave the port in San Juan early due to a storm coming in? People missed the ship but if they had passports Carnival flew them to the next port which I believe was Barbados. If they didn't have passports they went home or they could have stayed in Puerto Rico.

People in the US are passport phobic because they don't want their information getting out which is already out there if anyone really wants it. I can understand about the cost so maybe the purchases can be staggered with different people getting them in different years. I really wish it would just become mandatory for everyone so it would make this issue a moot point.

A passport card allows you to cross land borders and is good at sea ports of entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda so it's good for non-closed loop cruises to/from those areas. While for most people it offers little value to some people it makes sense to have one. It was developed to provide a lower cost alternative to the passport book primarily for those living along one of the borders.

Like you just said the card is good for land boarders and the seaports you mentioned. But to fly say to Europe you do need the book.

Is there some kind of money belt/carrier that will stay secure and waterproof while I'm snorkeling? If I can keep my stuff with me I'll feel more secure, rather than renting a locker.

I've always used one of the plastic cases with a rope on it that they sell on the ships. It's big enough for a wallet. I put it around my neck when snorkeling. Never had a problem, stays watertight. It was a hard plastic case. I see a few other options on amazon. They make a lot of stuff that is even good for phones.

We have a waterproof pouch that we keep the passports in. I think the purpose of a passport is for identification and you should always keep it with you when you travel. We use it when we fly domestically as it is the best form of identification.

You never know what will happen. Remember when the Carnival Victory had to leave the port in San Juan early due to a storm coming in? People missed the ship but if they had passports Carnival flew them to the next port which I believe was Barbados. If they didn't have passports they went home or they could have stayed in Puerto Rico.

People in the US are passport phobic because they don't want their information getting out which is already out there if anyone really wants it. I can understand about the cost so maybe the purchases can be staggered with different people getting them in different years. I really wish it would just become mandatory for everyone so it would make this issue a moot point.

Actually when it comes to the Victory it was only the people that arrived the day of sailing that missed the ship- those that were there the day before were fine.

Heck, I had a Top Secret clearance when I was in the Navy so I doubt there is anything about me that the government doesnt' already know. Don't know why you wish that the choices we have become more limited. The fact is having a passport affords me no more under normal circumstances than a birth certificate/drivers license does. And should it turn out that my assessment of my risk is wrong and I get stranded it doesn't affect you at all (but of course I won't be stranded because I will get home).

Like you just said the card is good for land boarders and the seaports you mentioned. But to fly say to Europe you do need the book.

Of course you do, and if I ever fly to Europe I will gladly get a passport but until then I do not need one for the type of travel that I do.