Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

I don't see that at all. Going for a passport involves an expense and an allocation of time. The amount of money spent on passports is money which could be spent on vacation related expenses.

Assume the family is taking a closed loop cruise and is driving to the port. The cost of a passport for kids is a significant % of the cost of the cruise.

The United States wouldn't allow citizens to use the "closed loop" exception if the US government wasn't willing to assist passengers who require emergency documentation in order to fly back due to unanticipated extraordinary circumstances. Expecting emergency assistance is expecting exactly what you're entitled to receive.

These last few lines are an extraordinary statement of entitlement mentality. The tone of this thread has migrated from a willingness to take a chance on the (admittedly) remote possibility of having to fly home half way through a closed loop cruise to happily relying upon the government's expeditious assistance to people who have knowingly disregarded the recommendation of the State Department. I am sure that someone in that position would eventually be helped, but I'm not sure I want my tax dollars spent on providing instant assistant to people who say they are willing to take a chance.

These last few lines are an extraordinary statement of entitlement mentality. The tone of this thread has migrated from a willingness to take a chance on the (admittedly) remote possibility of having to fly home half way through a closed loop cruise to happily relying upon the government's expeditious assistance to people who have knowingly disregarded the recommendation of the State Department. I am sure that someone in that position would eventually be helped, but I'm not sure I want my tax dollars spent on providing instant assistant to people who say they are willing to take a chance.

That is what I mean.

I don't get the money excuse at all, if you are taking a family of 4 or more a trip it will run a couple of grand easily so if you save that much save a few hundred more and get a passport. I got my first passport in the summer of 2001 then in the winter of 2001 some how the federal government decided my birth certificate is no longer good. Its true that anyone born in Hudson County, NJ before a certain date will have to go to Trenton to get a valid BC. Not gonna waste my time driving in traffic, $3.25/gal for gas, deal with people who hate their job, give me an attitude and hassle me and all. Flying even domestic with a passport is a breeze, plus we use a point system in order to get a drivers license, 6 points needed and a passport is 4 points, expired DL 1 point and utility bill 1 point. $100+ for a passport is worth it. Also getting a copy of my mothers death certificate required a BC, none of my 4 brothers or I have one anymore, couldn't get it...luckily I got married in the town she died in so my marriage license worked. My point is better to have than to have not.

Edited by pscozz702

I don't see that at all. Going for a passport involves an expense and an allocation of time. The amount of money spent on passports is money which could be spent on vacation related expenses.

Assume the family is taking a closed loop cruise and is driving to the port. The cost of a passport for kids is a significant % of the cost of the cruise.

The United States wouldn't allow citizens to use the "closed loop" exception if the US government wasn't willing to assist passengers who require emergency documentation in order to fly back due to unanticipated extraordinary circumstances. Expecting emergency assistance is expecting exactly what you're entitled to receive.

My statement was that the government of the country you are in will not provide you any assistance.

The Dept of State clearly states you will need to obtain a passport in order to fly back. The Consulate offices DO NOT issue passports. It needs to be obtained through the same way you get it inside the US, using expedited processes and you will have provide shelter for yourselves. The Consulate will let you use their computers to apply and to contact family/friends but they are not a bed and breakfast.

The most important reason to have a passport is so you can get back into your home country after being abroad. You don't want to arrive at customs and immigration and find out that they doubt your citizenship. A passport is absolute proof of citizenship.

The most important reason to have a passport is so you can get back into your home country after being abroad. You don't want to arrive at customs and immigration and find out that they doubt your citizenship. A passport is absolute proof of citizenship.

You mean yelling loudly, " I am a US citizen" isn't enough? Darn..I know I just blew someone's plan B.

Then they have loosened things up a lot since I had to produce ID and apply in person at a SS office when I started drawing in 2003. Perhaps the eased process might partially explain why SS is running out of funds.

Nope . . . You proved your age when you applied for your ssan decades ago. And, they only issue one check.

You mean yelling loudly, " I am a US citizen" isn't enough? Darn..I know I just blew someone's plan B.

Well, a customs agent can admit someone if they have reason to believe that person is a US citizen. A birth certificate with backup proof of identity would provide that reason. Whether an airline would allow you to board is another matter.

My statement was that the government of the country you are in will not provide you any assistance.

The Dept of State clearly states you will need to obtain a passport in order to fly back. The Consulate offices DO NOT issue passports. It needs to be obtained through the same way you get it inside the US, using expedited processes and you will have provide shelter for yourselves. The Consulate will let you use their computers to apply and to contact family/friends but they are not a bed and breakfast.

Why would you expect assistance for the government of the country you're visiting? OK I'd hope they'd give you the address and phone number of the nearest American consulate or embassy.

You claim the consulate office doesn't issue passports. I have no reason to doubt you, nor do I have any reason to accept that information as accurate.

So what? People in that position don't need a passport. They need an emergency travel document which is issued by an embassy or consulate. That's exactly what was done for Carnival passengers when their cruise ended at St. Maartan.

You may think some people have an "entitlement" mentality. That doesn't justify posting misinformation in order to support your position.

I have a passport. So what. Not everyone has the same opinions.

There are some great "deals". What does it cost to have a 3rd or 4th passenger in a cabin? Getting a passport for a child significantly increases the incremental cost.

Passengers are willing to accept some inconvenience and possible extra expense in the event of extraordinary circumstances in exchange for not having the guaranteed inconvenience and expense of applying for a passport.

Did anyone in this thread even imply saying I am a US citizen" would get you into the country? Give me a post number otherwise your comment is more then a little harsh.

Edited by Lookingforfacts

I'd be interested to hear your experience with lost identification. You imply that you have personally lost both a birth certificate and a passport. That sounds like extraordinary bad luck.

Nope, have never lost either passport or birth certificate. I was born in Canada over six decades ago, and my family immigrated to the US when I was five years old. Records that go back that far are often still on microfische, especially in small towns like where I was from, and take more time to find than those that have been digitized. That is what happened to my brother, who is a couple years younger, when he needed a replacement few years ago. Took a few months to get his BC so he could get his first passport.

I have lost my immigration papers, however. I once worked for a government contractor that built satellites for the military and needed to submit those papers to obtain the secret clearance needed to do my job. The company never returned them and by the time I discovered this oversight, the papers had disappeared. Those proved to be very difficult to replace, so difficult that I finally gave up. As long as my passport remains valid and I renew it on time, I no longer need those immigration papers.

I have had a passport for over 40 years now.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Why would you expect assistance for the government of the country you're visiting? OK I'd hope they'd give you the address and phone number of the nearest American consulate or embassy.

You claim the consulate office doesn't issue passports. I have no reason to doubt you, nor do I have any reason to accept that information as accurate.

So what? People in that position don't need a passport. They need an emergency travel document which is issued by an embassy or consulate. That's exactly what was done for Carnival passengers when their cruise ended at St. Maartan.

You may think some people have an "entitlement" mentality. That doesn't justify posting misinformation in order to support your position.

I have a passport. So what. Not everyone has the same opinions.

There are some great "deals". What does it cost to have a 3rd or 4th passenger in a cabin? Getting a passport for a child significantly increases the incremental cost.

Passengers are willing to accept some inconvenience and possible extra expense in the event of extraordinary circumstances in exchange for not having the guaranteed inconvenience and expense of applying for a passport.

Did anyone in this thread even imply saying I am a US citizen" would get you into the country? Give me a post number otherwise your comment is more then a little harsh.

But calling me a liar is okay?

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: All U.S. citizens traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a valid U.S. passport to exit or enter the United States. U.S. citizens traveling by sea must present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card for entry to the United States. While passport cards are sufficient for entry into the United States, they may not be accepted by the particular country you plan to visit; please be sure to check with your cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements. Passport cards are an acceptable travel document for entry into Jamaica for sea travelers only.

Cruise ship passengers who plan to travel on documentation other than a U.S. passport should be aware that in the event of an emergency that requires return to the United States on a commercial aircraft they will be required to obtain a U.S. passport. Consular Agencies cannot issue U.S. passports, so travelers who need rapid passport issuance must submit applications at the U.S. Embassy in Kingston.

Visitors to Jamaica must have a return ticket and be able to show sufficient funds for their visit. U.S. citizens traveling to Jamaica for work or extended stays are required to have a current U.S. passport and a visa issued by the Jamaican Embassy or a Jamaican Consulate. There is a departure tax for travelers, which is regularly included in airfare. For further information, travelers may contact the Embassy of Jamaica at 1520 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036, telephone (202) 452-0660; the Jamaican Consulate General in Miami (25 SE 2nd Ave # 850 Miami, FL 33131-1699, tel:(305) 374-8431) or the Jamaican Consulate General in New York (767 3rd Ave # 2 New York, NY 10017-9032, tel: (212) 935-9000); or honorary consuls in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Seattle or Los Angeles.

Visit the Embassy of Jamaica website for the most current visa information.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors or foreign residents of Jamaica.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page.

THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY: Violence and shootings occur regularly in certain areas of Kingston and Montego Bay. Embassy employees as well as private U.S. citizens are advised to avoid traveling into high-threat areas including, but not limited to Mountain View, Trench Town, Tivoli Gardens, Cassava Piece, and Arnett Gardens in Kingston, and Flankers, Canterbury, Norwood, Rose Heights, Clavers Street and Hart Street in Montego Bay. Sudden demonstrations can occur, during which demonstrators often construct roadblocks or otherwise block streets.

Jamaican media reports on fire safety indicate that compliance with fire safety regulations among nightclubs and other places of entertainment is low. Overcrowding is common and travelers should remain aware of their surroundings at all times.

Jamaica currently lacks the infrastructure to provide shelter and protection for travelers who temporarily become destitute during their stay on the island. U.S. citizens should be aware that under such circumstances they may be stranded without recourse unless and until family, friends or the Embassy can provide appropriate assistance. In some cases the Jamaica Tourist Board can also help.

As an example from the US Dept of State Travel information about Jamaica.

On this thread, I see so many questions about people asking about the need for a passport when cruising to various destinations.

My question is in this day in age, why doesn't everybody have a passport? I mean the US requires foreign visitors to have one when coming to the US, so why is it so hard to understand that US citizens should have one when traveling abroad? And why do people chance it in going to a foreign country without a passport?

Opinions?

I admit, my family and I don't have passports but.....we just applied because my daughter is embarrassed when customs seems annoyed at having to look at our birth certificates. :) In our case, it was pure procrastination/laziness. Sounds like a poor excuse but I'm being honest. Closed cruises only need a birth cert. and a photo I.D. We go on vacation in the U.S. Virgin Islands, which also only requires a birth certificate and photo I.D.. As long as they allow birth certificates, people aren't going to make the effort to get a passport on a closed cruise starting in the U.S.

It'$ all about the money.

I disagree. My excuse is procrastination and no need for them. We take closed cruises and go on vacation in countries where a passport is not required. Besides that...I hate my photo taken. :D

I have never shown a SS card to start a new job or to renew my license. I've also never been on a game show. :D Doesn't it say right on the card that it's not to be used for identification? ;)

Absolutely, you can apply online. ;)

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/about.htm

Sorry for the ot. This thread is about passports.

If you were hired after Nov 86, your employer was required to have you complete an employment eligibility verification form (I-9). They have to certify that you showed documentation of identity and authorization to work in the US. Did you present any document(s)?

I admit, my family and I don't have passports but.....we just applied because my daughter is embarrassed when customs seems annoyed at having to look at our birth certificates. :) In our case, it was pure procrastination/laziness. Sounds like a poor excuse but I'm being honest. Closed cruises only need a birth cert. and a photo I.D. We go on vacation in the U.S. Virgin Islands, which also only requires a birth certificate and photo I.D.. As long as they allow birth certificates, people aren't going to make the effort to get a passport on a closed cruise starting in the U.S.

Ahhh have the times changed. lol Back when I was 15, 40+ years ago if i would have been embarrassed because customs seemed annoyed at my parents not having a not needed passport my Dad would have given me 5 upside my head.:p

Enjoy your new passports.:)

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

Ahhh have the times changed. lol Back when I was 15, 40+ years ago if i would have been embarrassed because customs seemed annoyed at my parents not having a not needed passport my Dad would have given me 5 upside my head.:p

Bill

Bill, I"m not much younger than you, 1961 and my hubby, 1948. I gave the impression that our daughter's embarrassment led to us getting a passport but I was kidding. It's very annoying to have to take out two documents vs a simple passport. Sorry your dad would have knocked you upside the head.

Bill

I think I would have been given two choices:

Get over it

Stay home

But calling me a liar is okay?

I didn't call you a liar. I asked you which post contained the claim "saying I am a US citizen" would be sufficient for entry back into the US. I must have missed that post and asked you to help me. You offered a long reply. I guess i didn't read it slow enough. I still don't see the reference to the poster you "quoted". Manufacturing a statement to ridicule people who don't share your opinion isn't OK. Calling yourself a liar. Guess that answers my question. The quote isn't valid and in your world it's OK to make up stuff.

I can't offer a link which directly outlines the procedure followed if a cruise passenger needs emergency documentation to go home. We know such a process exists, the Carnival passengers were given emergency documentation so they could leave St. Maartan without exclusively saying " I am a US citizen". They may have said it, but they also had a document to show.

US citizens in the US who needed emergency documentation were accommodated.

Some quotes from the government site regarding citizens which need to travel but don't have a valid passport.

I have a life or death emergency overseas and need a passport. What should I do?a:Life or Death Emergencies involve serious illness, injury, or death in your immediate family that require you to travel within 24-48 hours to a country that requires a passport. Customers must appear in person at a passport agency for emergency service and documentation of the emergency may be requested.

Passengers who don't have a passport, because their passport expired while they're overseas are accommodated.

We strongly recommend that all U.S. citizens traveling or residing abroad keep their travel documents up-to-date. If your U.S. passport expires, you may be required to obtain a valid emergency travel document from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate before traveling. In some cases, we may need to take additional steps to determine your citizenship.

An emergency travel document. Same thing that was done for those Carnival passengers.Passengers with or without a passenger better have funds available if they need to come home early. Would you like me to use your posting style? OK You can't wave your US passport and tell the airline I have a passport I need a free flight home. You can't wave your US passport and tell the hotel you need a free room. Some of those expenses (flight/hotel) might be covered by travel insurance but that might be done via reimbursement.

I think it's a good idea to have a passport. I think intelligent people can decide the inconvenient and expense of getting passports for their family outweighs the inconvenience of getting home in the case of an extremely unlikely (extraordinary) event. I don't think those people deserve to be ridiculed.

Again you want me use your posting style? OK. People without a passport will be homeless, living on the streets of a foreign country, begging for food for weeks (if not months) while they are waiting for delivery of a passport.

I'll agree the passengers with passports might be able to get home a couple of days sooner but even that claim might be a reach. Carnival passengers had no passport problems.

Edited by Lookingforfacts

Bill, I"m not much younger than you, 1961 and my hubby, 1948. I gave the impression that our daughter's embarrassment led to us getting a passport but I was kidding. It's very annoying to have to take out two documents vs a simple passport. Sorry your dad would have knocked you upside the head.

Just teasing you.:p I know exactly what you mean.:)

Don't be sorry, helped make me what I am today.;)

Bill

For passengers returning on a close loop cruise, the BC+DL combo is equally valid as a passport.

For passengers returning on a close loop cruise, the BC+DL combo is equally valid as a passport.

I think most are in agreement on that.. and hopefully everyone is in agreement about the need for a passport for a Med cruise, etc. I believe the wizzing contest involves if someone would need one if they had to bail out of a closed loop cruise and fly home. IMHO it would certainly cut down on red-tape and expense. Yeah, I know about the Carnival cruise deal which I think was probably handled at a much higher level then a single/couple having to bail and fly home. Not much national PR involved in that. If you feel lucky go for it.. chances are hugely in your favor. Again, there are certain documents everyone should have stashed at home whether they plan to cruise or not. One being a certified copy of your and your kids BC. Your original SS card or a replacement issued by the SS folks. If were in the military your should have a certified copy of your DD214. Death certificates of anyone closely related.

Yes, it is about risk vs reward. But be reminded that the birth certificate you need in place of a passport is an official government document with the raised seal, not the form the hospital hands out. The risk here is losing it for some reason. My experience has been that it is much more difficult to replace a government issued birth certificate than a government issued passport. Of the two, I would rather lose my passport, which I can get replaced in a matter of days, if not hours, than the birth certificate, which will take months.

I'm not sure it takes so long. We were able to go online and request a certified copy of my DH's bc a couple of years ago when he wanted to get a passport. I think it took about a week to arrive.