Passport - why so scary

LuckyZ

We look at the cost vs benefit/risk for our particular situations. Our children don't normally cruise with us. My husband and I have passports. The risk of being out of the country while our children are at home is worth the cost to maintain them. We have college aged children who have traveled abroad and therefore have a passport. Our other children do not leave the country and we have decided that the cost vs benefit for them is not worth it. Keep in mind they have cruised an average of once every 8 years. That would be one passport per cruise x 8 children = not happening. When we cruise in January, we will have 4 with passports and 6 with birth certificates. We always buy travel insurance. THAT cost/benefit ratio is always worth it. If travel insurance wasnt so well priced then we might re-evaluate although its not likely given that my daughter had an accident that resulted in a head injury/ life flight/ and emergency craniotomy. 90k later and we were only responsible for our yearly OOP max of 4k. I am acutely aware that it is possible and how much it would have cost if we were not insured.

Really? You can't grasp the concept of not wanting to spend $hundreds on somethign you don't need?

I wouldn't think that hard to understand.

Did you only read 1 line of my post? A federal identifier is gold these days. Not saying you NEED it but as a government paramilitary employee I would rather have one and be safe than not have one and be sorry. Never get hassled by Border and Customs or TSA going anywhere domestic or foreign.

The money concept doesn't escape me as to your logic, but really SAVING THOUSANDS for a trip WHAT'S A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MORE?

If you were hired after Nov 86, your employer was required to have you complete an employment eligibility verification form (I-9). They have to certify that you showed documentation of identity and authorization to work in the US. Did you present any document(s)?

Yes, driver's license and birth certificate, never a SS card.

Did you only read 1 line of my post? A federal identifier is gold these days. Not saying you NEED it but as a government paramilitary employee I would rather have one and be safe than not have one and be sorry. Never get hassled by Border and Customs or TSA going anywhere domestic or foreign.

The money concept doesn't escape me as to your logic, but really SAVING THOUSANDS for a trip WHAT'S A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MORE?

You never had an Airport Security Screener look at your passport and ask if you,had a drivers license?

You never had an Airport Security Screener look at your passport and ask if you,had a drivers license?

That's hysterical. I haven't, but I can conceive of it happening. LOL. My DD secured a job about a year ago. She needed to complete an I-9 and a passport is all you need for one. I gave her a ride so witnessed the person take her passport and ask her for her drivers license and SS card in addition. Huh?? I guess they don't hire many teens with passports. I politely pointed out to the clerk that on the list of documents, a passport is listed first. :D

:eek: My driver's license renewal just came and Maryland wants almost $40 for a five year period. Given the taxes I'm paying to live here, IMO that's insane!

Hi Denise. How bizarre. I just received my renewal Friday and it's $48 for 8 years. And, I certainly agree about the taxes. :confused::rolleyes:

CPT, the answer is no, nor did they ask for anything else. By the way my B-I-L doesn't have a DL only a passport, he travels more than I do, doesn't happen to him either. Did that happen to you? If so, WHY? With homeland security and all federal docs are far more better. My Department ID is homeland compliant and is way more effective than a DL, never had to use it though.

I just received my renewal Friday and it's $48 for 8 years. And, I certainly agree about the taxes. :confused::rolleyes:

Wow renewed mine 3 months ago for $42 for a 4 year license while NJ tried a 5 year license on me in 2008 for $60. So maybe that's why I don't have a problem with $100+ every 10 years for a passport

Edited by pscozz702

Wow renewed mine 3 months ago for $42 for a 4 year license while NJ tried a 5 year license on me in 2008 for $60. So maybe that's why I don't have a problem with $100+ every 10 years for a passport

My point was/is that 2 people from Maryland are charged 2 different rates.

wow that is off...does one have an endorsement,( boat, motorcycle, CDL? )I have a boat endorsement cost about $10 more. Or is Maryland that hungry for money that 2 people from different parts of the state are charged a certain rate that they think its ok do that?

Because the USA is so large many people don't ever leave the country.

In most other countries people have passports.

Keith

I just can't take the time to read all 10 pages of this thread.... this topic comes up just too often (like chair hogs). But, I agree with Keith - a large % of Americans never leave the country (or for some - the county).:)

But... from what I've read on sooooo many threads about this, is - it's only Americans that have a problem with getting passports... the rest of the world seems to accept it as a normal thing to do if you want to travel (anywhere). And they don't think about the $$$ costs.

I just can't take the time to read all 10 pages of this thread.... this topic comes up just too often (like chair hogs). But, I agree with Keith - a large % of Americans never leave the country (or for some - the county).:)

But... from what I've read on sooooo many threads about this, is - it's only Americans that have a problem with getting passports... the rest of the world seems to accept it as a normal thing to do if you want to travel (anywhere). And they don't think about the $$$ costs.

I don't believe other countries have an option as to whether to get a passport or not like we do here either.

Bill

I don't believe other countries have an option as to whether to get a passport or not like we do here either.

Bill

The only somewhat analogous situation I'm aware of is the ability of residents of Europe's Schengen zone being able to travel from country to country within the zone without a passport.

I just don't understand why so many here have difficulty understanding that the reason so many Americans don't have passports is because they can do a significant amount of travel without them. We have the option...citizens of other counties in general don't.

Edited by njhorseman

Or you can be like my paranoid brain dead cousin "I don't want no government knowing where I go."

He never got the biochip implanted? How did he manage that? Just be sure not to tell him. ;)

I don't have a problem with getting a passport per se, I have a problem getting a passport right now when the travel that I am able to do does not require a passport. As noted passports are good for 10 years and I don't want ours to be half way to expiration when we finally have to have one for travel.

He never got the biochip implanted? How did he manage that? Just be sure not to tell him. ;)

I think he spends most of his time crouching in the dark with his assault rifle waiting for the Obama care Death Panel to come force him into a gay marriage. I am sure the tinfoil in his hat blocks the biochip. :D

The only somewhat analogous situation I'm aware of is the ability of residents of Europe's Schengen zone being able to travel from country to country within the zone without a passport.

I just don't understand why so many here have difficulty understanding that the reason so many Americans don't have passports is because they can do a significant amount of travel without them. We have the option...citizens of other counties in general don't.

You neglect one question: how do the residents of Europe's Schengen zone demonstrate that they are residents of Europe's Schengen zone and entitled to travel around freely? They use their passports, or perhaps their national identity cards which are essentially indistinguishable from passports.

Or you can be like my paranoid brain dead cousin "I don't want no government knowing where I go."

I just couldn't wait for Big Brother to pop up. Lol. I'm satisfied with this thread now, but I will continue to look over my shoulder. And try and figure how to disarm the tracking device on my work truck so my boss can't find me either.

I just couldn't wait for Big Brother to pop up. Lol. I'm satisfied with this thread now, but I will continue to look over my shoulder. And try and figure how to disarm the tracking device on my work truck so my boss can't find me either.

Or the GPS in your smart phone so your spouse/significant other can't keep tabs on where you go. Or the computer in your car that records your driving behavior for the insurance company and police to use against you if you get a ticket or have an accident. After all, EVERYONE is out to get you!! :D

Edited by boogs

You neglect one question: how do the residents of Europe's Schengen zone demonstrate that they are residents of Europe's Schengen zone and entitled to travel around freely? They use their passports, or perhaps their national identity cards which are essentially indistinguishable from passports.

Identity cards are not passports any more than my drivers license is a passpport...they won't do them any good for travel outside of the Schengen zone...and besides who is checking the identity cards? The borders between Schengen countries are open...no one is checking anything.

Edited by njhorseman

Be sure to be on the lookout for those pesky black helicopters. :D

Identity cards are not passports any more than my drivers license is a passpport...they won't do them any good for travel outside of the Schengen zone...and besides who is checking the identity cards? The borders between Schengen countries are open...no one is checking anything.

On flights between cities within the Schengen zone which carry non-Schengen passengers (virtually all international flights within the zone carry both Schengen and non-Schengen citizens) de planing passengers go through one of several lanes: Schengen and non-Schengen, and there are random checks of those passing through the Schengen lanes, otherwise no one would wait in line as a non-Schengen. Additionally, Euro ID cards are a lot more detailed (and harder to obtain) than many US states' drivers licenses.