Cruise Critic Community
happy77

Cruise Terminal in Basel

We will be arriving in Basel from Amsterdam on Viking Jarel on Sept. 20. We will be traveling on to Lucerne by train. Where is the cruise terminal in Basel and the best way to get to the train station from there?. Also, if taking a cab approx. how much would it be? Or is a tram more reasonable. Anyone out there on this same cruise? Thanks, Nan

This is from trip advisor

Second, there are two major docks for cruise ships in Basel: St. Johann and Kleinhüningen/Dreilandereck. If you are docking at St. Johann, you can take the tram 11 (on the street parallel to the Rhine) to Aeschenplatz, then change for a tram going to the station (one stop). If you land at the other dock, you will need to walk about 300 m towards the city and then take the tram 8 from its end-station to the train station (Basel SBB).

I understand Viking tends to use Dreilandereck most of the time but all dockage is at the command of the harbormaster. Taxi about 30 swiss francs. Find another couple to share taxi with,

AMA used (I believe) Draendereck. It was an industrial, non-scenic port.

I believe all the lines will arrange for a taxi. With luggage, our fare was 40 Swiss Francs.

Thanks for the info. Is there room for our luggage on the tram?

Thanks for the info. Is there room for our luggage on the tram?

We just got back from this cruise but started in Basel and ended in Amsterdam. We spent a few days in Basel and did a day trip to Lucerne. We took Tram #8 from the train station to the end of the line which was the Kleinhungen stop (the tram crossed the Rhine to get to this stop) and then walked to the dock in about 10 minutes. It was not hard at all. There was plenty of room for our luggage on the tram.

Viking used the port that started with a D.

huntersyaya, hope your trip was wonderful. We are doing the same on Viking in Oct. Can you give some details about your day trip to Lucerne? We would like to do that also.

huntersyaya ~ and we'll be on this cruise in December - any hints about Basel would be most appreciated!! Hotel is booked but we'd love to hear any suggestions for restaurants, things to see or do, etc.

We just got back from this cruise but started in Basel and ended in Amsterdam. We spent a few days in Basel and did a day trip to Lucerne. We took Tram #8 from the train station to the end of the line which was the Kleinhungen stop (the tram crossed the Rhine to get to this stop) and then walked to the dock in about 10 minutes. It was not hard at all. There was plenty of room for our luggage on the tram.

I will second this. We did the same thing; however, as we were a bit early, we took the tram to the Kleinhungen stop, saw where to get off, and then stayed on the tram for a "sightseeing" tour of Basel via tram. No issues with luggage. Have a great trip!

huntersyaya ~ and we'll be on this cruise in December - any hints about Basel would be most appreciated!! Hotel is booked but we'd love to hear any suggestions for restaurants, things to see or do, etc.

Here are a few things to see:

Marktplatz (should be alive with Christmas markets)

The Basel Munster

The Rathaus, Basel’s town hall

Tinguely fountain (close to Barfüsserplatz)

Walk the east side of the Rhine in the evening and nighttime, especially when they light up the Munster

The Elisabethenkirche

huntersyaya, hope your trip was wonderful. We are doing the same on Viking in Oct. Can you give some details about your day trip to Lucerne? We would like to do that also.

Sorry, I am just now seeing your question. We caught the train from Basel to Lucerne. Once we got off in Lucerne and saw that the weather was cooperating (few clouds) we walked right into the tourist information office in the train station and bought our tickets for the round trip from Lucerne to Pilateus. We chose to take the bus to the small gondola, then took the large gondola the final leg to Pilateus. There are several restaurants and a hotel up there and some wonderful observation points. We took the cogwheel train down and it was absolutely beautiful. We took the train back to Lucerne from the bottom of the mountain instead of doing the boat on Lake Lucerne.....we felt like we were going to be on a boat for a week and really didn't need another boat trip plus we wanted to get back to Lucerne in time to see the Mournful Lion Monument. To me, it is a MUST.....every bit as awesome as the David (in my opinion). I had pumped it up to my husband because I had seen it before years ago. He was impressed! Please try to see it (it's free you just have to walk about a half mile from the lakeshore. Anyone can tell you how to get there. It is across the lake from the train station but very walkable. We took the train back to Basel. It probably cost about $300 for us to do the round trip but we thought it was totally worth it. Lucerne is beautiful (more so than Basel, I think) but crowded and more expense. We liked Basel a lot. We stayed at the Hotel Schweizerhof in Basel and loved it. It was right by the train station and the trams so very, very convenient. They have just put new beds in all the rooms and they were heavenly.

Hi all Thank you for the good information huntersyaya and others. We are going Barcelona to Basel and catching cruise there Sept 1 2014 up to Amsterdam and then TA back to USA. We are interested in area in and around BAsel as we have some time to spend in and around the area of Basel before getting on the river ship. We will be starting our trip in Barcelona and working our way up to Basel with a week stop in Paris...that's all we know right now...thinking of getting Euro pass to travel...Thank you for information about Basel! Cruisy Susy

Missabby ~ thanks for the suggestions about Basel - understand they are 2 Christmas Markets there so that shoud keep us busy (plus getting time-adjusted!) but will hopefully also enjoy walking around and seeing the city - your suggestions will come in handy!!

Big thanks to huntersyaya and Missabby for the info. Only 3 and a half months for us to go.

Hi all Thank you for the good information huntersyaya and others. We are going Barcelona to Basel and catching cruise there Sept 1 2014 up to Amsterdam and then TA back to USA. We are interested in area in and around BAsel as we have some time to spend in and around the area of Basel before getting on the river ship. We will be starting our trip in Barcelona and working our way up to Basel with a week stop in Paris...that's all we know right now...thinking of getting Euro pass to travel...Thank you for information about Basel! Cruisy Susy

In the last four years (following my retirement) have spent a week in Barcelona (before Barcelona/Venice cruise) and Paris (before a RT Amsterdam Baltic cruise. We used VRBO/Homeaway for rentals that allowed us to eat breakfast and some cold dinners in. There are, of course, a good number of "good deals" if you take the time to find them. In Paris, there is a boat service on the Seine that is very useful if you stay within walking distance of a stop (ours was city hall- we stayed in the Marais) and you purchase the longest pass, for which the last several days cost only one euro/day (versus folks who just jump on for a short transport and pay a fortune) in good weather, just the ride is wonderful. In Barcelona we did the HOHO bus and purchased a 2-day pass (the second day is greatly discounted). If you are a museum-goer (both cities are great, great for museums) you can purchase an "articket" that I remember basically gets you in free after the first two admissions (we included a museum in each day's activities). Usually I develop a reference list for each location we visit and can probably find my word document on these cities. Feel free to email me if you'd like me to send them to you (balticports@yahoo.com).

DJ:)