Courtyard by Marriot Downtown /Boston

I booked a deal on Priceline, got the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown / Tremont St., for $111.00 I thought it was a great deal until I started reading reviews of the place...now I am almost ready to just eat my $111.00 and start again!!!! I think I panicked and booked too soon, I thought I was booking a 3.5star, this is a 3 star, but even so I didn't think a Marriot would be so bad...until I read the reviews. Woah. :eek:

Has anyone here stayed at this hotel pre or post cruise? Just looking for opinions - I trust people's opinions here.

138East thanks for your help in the past. :)

Thanks.

I haven't stayed at this property, so my opinions are not based on experience.

The location is fine right across the street from the Wang Center. It's a short walk to Boston Common.

$111 is an unbelievable price for a 3* hotel in this area of Boston.

I read some of the recent TripAdvisor reviews and this is what I got from them:

1). The rooms can be small

2). The TV's can be old.

3). Rooms were clean

4). Staff and Service were great

So far it sounds just like a cruise ship like the Explorer.

I can understand folks who paid $200+ for this hotel might not feel they were getting their money's worth for a Marriott property. But you're paying $111 and you now know what to expect. If it were me, I'd think about the great price and get prepared to deal with a small room without unpacking everything in my suitcase.

Okay you are making my blood pressure go down a bit, lol. I am sure some of the reviews were exaggerated about this place, maybe I am just nervous. What bothered me was the ranking being so low (like #72 of 75 hotels in Boston or something) but then again you may be right that people were rating it low for the value at the rates they may have paid.

Thank you for pointing out the location is fine and a short walk to Boston Common...this is the type of local info that is so valuable to have.

I will relax and not book another hotel.

Thanks for being the voice of reason.

if anyone has stayed at this property I would really love to hear your reviews too!!!

Do you know if the Cheers bar (original or replica) is walkable from this hotel?

We plan to take a taxi to the ship at around noon so will have all Saturday morning to walk around and soak in what we can of Boston.

The "original" cheers bar which is only the outside part is very walkable; just past the Common which is not far. The "replica" is in Quincy Market which is a little further but defintely walkable.

I wouldn't stress about the hotel, it is fine. Is it the Four Seasons? No, but who cares with your needs.

Enjoy our city, Boston Strong!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We are now back from our cruise! We did stay at this hotel and just wanted to update about it to let others know it was in fact, just fine. Great location - a quick walk to Boston Common and Cheers (original one from the outside). Yes, the rooms are small but nice, ,clean, and we had a great night there. Easy cab ride to pier in the morning. :D

Thanks for reporting back your personal experience. It will help us with future folks who ask about this hotel.

When I read reviews I try to disregard the extremes. If you're paying top dollar, then you have a right to expect more. But when you get a steal of a price and everything is OK, then there's nothing to complain about.

I'm so glad it worked out for you and you had a great trip.

I just won the same hotel on priceline. I wish I would have found this thread earlier, as I probably could have bid a few dollars less. Good to hear that the hotel was acceptable for the price. We will be spending 2 days post cruise (NCL Dawn) in Boston, and I got 2 rooms for 4 of us. Next task for me is to call up the hotel to see if we could get two double beds in each room verses a King that Priceline guarantees.

To avoid overpaying on Priceline, use a bot such as www.biddingtraveler.com to make your bid. You pick out the area and star level the same as Priceline, but they show you the hotels by name and recent winning bids. When you bid, the screen tells you what your lowest and highest bid should be. The bot then does the bidding for you and you watch the bidding go up until you have a win. My recent post cruise stay in Boston was at the 5 star Langham. Because it was Memorial Day weekend, this hotel in the financial district was less expensive than the lesser star hotels. There was a T stop on the next block and a short walk to the Quincy Market area, theater district or other busy areas. It is one of the most expensive hotels in Boston but I wouldn't have known to bid for it if bidding traveler hadn't given me hotel names and recent winning bids.

We are now back from our cruise! We did stay at this hotel and just wanted to update about it to let others know it was in fact, just fine. Great location - a quick walk to Boston Common and Cheers (original one from the outside). Yes, the rooms are small but nice, ,clean, and we had a great night there. Easy cab ride to pier in the morning. :D

So happy to hear the good review of the hotel - staying at the Courtyard in a couple of weeks, pre-cruise.

How much was the cab ride to the pier from the hotel?

Archived