All inclusive drinks package - elderly mother

hgl279

Hi all, wonder if you can help me anyone ....

I am going on a week long cruise with my sister-in-law and nephew on the Preziosa - we are all sharing a cabin. My elderly parents are also coming. We will all be dining together.

I have enquired about the all inclusive drinks package for my sister-in-law, nephew and I. But my Mum and Dad wont need it as she has a gastric band and only drinks tea, and my Dad cant drink due to a medical condition and he will just sip the odd fruit juice or coffee.

I have been told that all 5 of us need to purchase the package or none of us as we are dining together.

£140 each for my folks seems a lot for the odd tea or coffee.

Does any one know if it would be possible to circumvent this rule, or is it set in stone? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Heidi

Hi all, wonder if you can help me anyone ....

I am going on a week long cruise with my sister-in-law and nephew on the Preziosa - we are all sharing a cabin. My elderly parents are also coming. We will all be dining together.

I have enquired about the all inclusive drinks package for my sister-in-law, nephew and I. But my Mum and Dad wont need it as she has a gastric band and only drinks tea, and my Dad cant drink due to a medical condition and he will just sip the odd fruit juice or coffee.

I have been told that all 5 of us need to purchase the package or none of us as we are dining together.

£140 each for my folks seems a lot for the odd tea or coffee.

Does any one know if it would be possible to circumvent this rule, or is it set in stone? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Heidi

The rule about those dining together all having to have the same package IS set in stone.

If it were me I'd ask for a table for two and a table for three initially, or at least to be seated on different tables, (you may have to do this before you sail via your travel agent) then after the first dinner see the head waiter/ Maitre D' and ask to move tables and at the same time ask to be put together. This may not work as they already know you want to sit together, but you never know it may work.

THe rule underlined in red

Untitled-1.jpg

I think the OP's situation is unique enough to contact MSC and ask what they can do.

The rule may be "set in stone" but onboard they seem to use a certain amount of common sense. Last year after 2 nights our MDR waiter put a bottle if wine in an ice bucket at our table. Just saved him having to get "wine by the glass" every 10 minutes.

It is a somewhat silly situation that you cannot share a table with someone who has not got a drinks package! after all the wait staff are only going to serve those who can prove they have it.

Suppose you are sitting at a table of strangers? Do they need to have the package too ?

Dianecruisecluestoo

No, definitely not. Guess they don't think you will supply strangers with free drink atbtheir expense all day long.

On my last cruise Imwas at antablenfor 7, 3 couples and me. One couple had booked the AI in advance as had I, another couple bought it onboard and the remaining couple just paid for their drinks as they ordered them. The waiters poured wine and water by the glass for the 5 of us on the AI though out each dinner andnthe other couple ordered a bottle of wine each night.

The Italians would not dream of following a rule that told them to pay for something they were not going to use. Nor will MSC expect you to! I would not even bother contacting MSC. Just book the package for yourselves and leave it.

The Italians would not dream of following a rule that told them to pay for something they were not going to use. Nor will MSC expect you to! I would not even bother contacting MSC. Just book the package for yourselves and leave it.

This is what I would try. Call MSC directly, book the package you want for the 3 of you. Don't mention the others. Don't ask questions you won't like the answers to. It might work.

You could book one of the other packages. Eg 12 cocktails, or 10 beers. They arte available onboards.

If your mum likes her tea I'd suggest brining your own tea bags. The tea and coffee on Magnifica was undrinkable.

We bought coffee and teabags at the first port.

Hi all

Thanks for all your help - just thought I would update you - I emailed admin and they so NO we cannot purchase the AI for just the three of us - there is no flexibility at all.

So as has been suggested I am going to try to buy a lesser "dinner time" package for mum and dad and see if we can have the AI that way - will let you know x

Hi all

Thanks for all your help - just thought I would update you - I emailed admin and they so NO we cannot purchase the AI for just the three of us - there is no flexibility at all.

So as has been suggested I am going to try to buy a lesser "dinner time" package for mum and dad and see if we can have the AI that way - will let you know x

Was this because you had already linked the bookings? Or did you tell them in the email? The UK office will follow the rules precisely, things are more flexible on board. You could try unlinking the bookings on the basis that mum and dad do not want to spoil your cruise by stopping you having Allegrissimo and are quite happy to dine at their own table instead. Then fix it with the Maitre D on board. Just a thought.

Archived