Are power strips illegal?

gslargent

are power strips a restricted item that will get pulled from your bags if found? I know some have posted about bringing them to increase outlets.

I think some people were saying they brought theirs in their carry on and had no problems and the people who packed them had them taken.

I couldn't find them on the prohibited item list however, so legally you get them back anyway.

No they are not illegal but they can be confiscated. Below is from Carnival's FAQ's page:

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat and curling irons, shavers, etc., are allowed on board when used with proper caution. These devices should not be used when other electrical appliances are plugged in. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

• Electronics such as laptops, cameras, cellular phones, etc. are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

I have had a power strip (good condition) removed from a carry on (Long Beach, Ca) but never from my packed luggage. I was allowed to take it back to my car (parked at the terminal).

It does indeed seem to be a hit or miss thing.

I, too, opt for the Belkin. It is compact and plugs directly into the receptacle. And the bonus is 2 USB ports for charging electronics. They will not charge all phones, however.

A power strip with a 15 amp circuit breaker, a UL listing, and no protector parts should be safe. Would create a least risk. Internal protector parts have a history of (in rare cases) causing a fire. Details posted here.

Best is to take one that would create a least risk. However confiscation can be arbitrary.

Archived