Cruise Critic Community
bejo

Jewish tour of Budapest and Prague

Can anyone suggest a good company for private Jewish tours of Prague and Budapest

When we were in Prague last year we did a self tour as everything in the Quarter is close by one another. In Budapest you can go on the website of the Grand Synagogue and sign up for a tour of the synagogue which includes also the former Jewish District. Much of the Holocaust related memorials are located at the Grand Synagogue. Also be sure to visit the Shoes On The Danube, just south of the Parliament Building. Google Shoes on The Danube for the story of this Holocaust monument.

Can anyone suggest a good company for private Jewish tours of Prague and Budapest

IN 2009 WE WENT ON A JEWISH HEARITAGE TOUR TO WARSAW / KARKOW / BUDAPAST / PRAGUE

FIND MY REVIEW OF BUDEPAST AND PRAGUE TREZIN

(CHECH OUT WHITMAN TOURS The only authentic Check Jewish tour operator)

REVIEV

JEWISH HEARITAGE TOUR

FRIDAY AUGUST 14th

After breakfast @about 9:00am picked up for the long drive to Budapest Cross the Slovak border checked in to the hotel (Marriott situated overlooking the beautiful Danube arriving about 6:00pm. (Not having enough time to attend evening services at the DOHANY STREET SYNAGOGUE, the largest in Europe until 2006) We found a listing for a Restaurant ROSENSTEIN (home maid cooking traditional Jewish dishes) we caught a cab and went there to find it closed (maybe out of business) The cab driver than took us to OSTERIA a restaurant down the street from the Synagogue. There was a group from California of 4 couples there to catch a River Boat on Sun., that had just left the Friday night services. Cherie had a 100% Vegetarian Minestrone Soup and I had roasted Duck (very good). Then back to the hotel for a good nights rest after that long hard ride uncomfortable ride to get here.

SATURDAY AUGUST 15TH

Up early this morning breakfast caught a cab to be at Shabbat services at the Dohany Street Synagogue @9:30am, beautiful building in side and out. A little like Plum Street Temple in Cincinnati.

The service was very strange not reformed or orthodox, the woman sat speared on each side and the men in the middle. Asked that woman cover up men cover there heads. They preformed the whole service in Hebrew as in an orthodox synagogue; they played the organ and had a quire. The cloth hanging down in front of the Aaron Kodesh had a electric motor to lift it and behind two large cold colored doors to be opened.

It gave the impression they where putting on a big Hollywood production (some what disappointing).

After returning to the hotel we chose to not to go on the walking tour of Budapest the Capital of Hungary. We chose to take a open bus tour with 14 stops on both sides of the River Pest & Buda which was vary relaxing and informative.

This evening we are to be picked up @ 6:45 for a Gala Dinner at Hungary’s world-famous Gundel Restaurant (must weir a jacket). The dinner was extra special and excellent (The Menu, Wine Red & White plus A toast with some sparkle, Platter of leaf Salad with house dressing blue cheese, the favorite soup of Franz Joseph (Potato), Sautéed Breast of chicken with Julienne of Mushroom Pancake, The classic Crepe a’la Gundel and Coffee. Now for the big Surprise To day was Cherie’s Birthday I had made arrangements for a Birthday cake months ago. To my surprise the there were 4 strolling musicians playing string instruments and one sitting down playing something that looked like a piano by hitting the top with pitons on the strings. Cherie was ecstatic and I again had tears in my eyes. We also got up and danced.

After we left the Restraint we stopped at Heres’Square at night.

And then to the Hotel for a good night’s sleep.

SUNDAY AUGAST 16TH

After breakfast meet in the lobby with the rest of our group for a full-day of sightseeing tour of Budapest by bus, including a walking Tour of (Jewish Heritage) the Jewish Quarter of Budapest. And lunch on Castle Hill in Buda. We than

At 8:00 pm meet again for a Scenic Boat Cruise of the Blue River Danube aglow at night.

MONDAY AUGUST 17TH

Have to be ready and packed in lobby of hotel @6:30am to transfer to airport to catch flight to Prague at 8:55am on CZECH AIRLINES arriving at about 10:15am. Met at Baggage clam buy our privet guide and driver. Transfer to the Hotel Intercontinental. At 2pm picked up at the hotel by guide and driver for a city tour of Prague plus a three walking tour of the Prague Castle, plus a breathtaking view of the City from the very top of the Castle. You can see one of the many bridges that cross the Vltava River from our Hotel Room. After returning to the Hotel and a little rest @ about 6:30pm 5 of us walked to the oldest kosher restaurant in Prague (KING SOLOMON) Cherie was in seventh haven.

She had lame flay, I deer (Kosher) I also bought a bottle of Kosher wine, bottled in Chez Republic Baron Aaron/Gunsberger 2000. Than back to the Hotel and a good nights sleep.

TUESDAY AUGEST 18TH

At 9:00am met in the lobby of hotel for a 4hr. walking tour of the old town and Jewish Quarter visit the Jewish Museum complex, including the 13th century Alt-Neu Synagogue, Then walk the Jewish Cemetery ,dates back to the 15th century. Some of these graves can be as many as 15 one on top of each other, and date back to the 16th century Jewish Town Hall with its distinctive tower and clock with Hebrew letters (operating in reverse).

The rest of the day and tomorrow is at leisure to shop or what ever.

I stopped at corner and was helped to lay Teflon.

On the way back to the hotel and a little shopping, we stopped at the CHABAD’S Shelanu Restaurant for a light bite of lunch.

Today there are only 600 Jews that live in Prague.

Tonight we went to DINITZ KOSHER LEMEHDRIN (Restaurant) I had a stake and Cherie had Chicken Schnitzel.

WEDNESDAY AUGUST 19TH

Today is a free day except for the farewell dinner @7:15pm at the NEBOZIZEK RESTAURANT.

We opted to for an optional tour to Terezin and found the price to be somewhat prohibited @ $500 for three of us. We found a tour though the Concierge at the hotel with Whittman Tours (The only authentic Czech Jewish tour operator) @$70 per person. We are to be picked up at 10.00am for the 6hr. tour (Terezin is the former “model” concentration camp) This camp is described by survivors as the waiting to hell. Our guide was vary good Marketa Trojanova (Trojanova.m@seznam.cz)

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

I will be going to Budapest with Viking River in August. Do you know if the Viking tour of Budapest includes a tour of the Jewish Quarter or should I arrange something on my own?

I don't know which Viking cruise you are on, but the itinerary for my cruise going from Nuremburg to Budapest is below and does not make any mention of visiting any Jewish sites. It is only a 1/2 day tour, so even if it did stop there you would not be able to see much. You will be better off seeing it on your own time.

I am hoping to see the Great Synagogue and Jewish Museum on our free time. It is on the Pest side of the river and will not be far from where the ship should be docked. In Budapest I'm not sure if they refer to it as the "Jewish Quarter". The "Jewish Quarter" is in Prague.

Day 7Budapest

unescoLogo.jpg

Arrive in Budapest, Hungary’s vibrant capital divided by the Danube River. Take a panoramic city tour through the more modern “Pest” side of the city—Journey along Andrássy Avenue and see the 19th- and 20th-century mansions, National Opera House, Parliament Building and Chain Bridge. Stop in Heroes’ Square to learn more about Hungarian history, then cross the Danube to Buda’s Castle District. Walk up the hill to Fishermen’s Bastion and Matthias Church; enjoy brilliant views of the city below. Return to your ship for lunch and the rest of the day is yours to explore both sides of the city.

Edited by Cary Cruiser

Thanks for the reply Cary. I did visit the Jewish Quarter when I was in Prague about 14 years ago. Well worth the trip! I will find a tour for Budapest too. We are Amsterdam to Budapest later this month.

We were in Budapest last year prior to a river cruise on Viking. We used Andrea Magyar of JoAnn VIP Travel for a full day Jewish Heritage Tour. Friends of ours used her for a half day tour at another time. Her website is: www. joanvip.com

Email is: info@joanvip.com

Andrea was very friendly and knowledgeable. I highly recommend her. Viking did not have any Jewish sites on their tours. We did walk to "Shoes along the Danube" memorial from where the ship was docked. A very emotional place. We loved Budapest.

Edited by NJ Gal

NJGal: we are doing Danube waltz with Viking December 14, 2013 and would appreciate any info you can give us. Did you do a Hop on Hop off with your were in Budapest? I haven't been able to find the website you mentioned. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Iris

We are taking a Jewish Heritage cruise with AMA in late October and flying in to Budapest a day early. We are touring privately with Anni Fischer on October 26th . She was highly recommended by friends who toured with her. Unfortunately that is a Saturday so some of the Jewish sites will be unavailable. Her email address is fischer.anni@hotmail.com

thanks for the info. I will contact her. We are coming in on Friday so I don't know if they will have any tours. ENJOY!!!

Who did you use for a tour guide in Prague?

IN 2009 WE WENT ON A JEWISH HEARITAGE TOUR TO WARSAW / KARKOW / BUDAPAST / PRAGUE

FIND MY REVIEW OF BUDEPAST AND PRAGUE TREZIN

(CHECH OUT WHITMAN TOURS The only authentic Check Jewish tour operator)

REVIEV

JEWISH HEARITAGE TOUR

FRIDAY AUGUST 14th

After breakfast @about 9:00am picked up for the long drive to Budapest Cross the Slovak border checked in to the hotel (Marriott situated overlooking the beautiful Danube arriving about 6:00pm. (Not having enough time to attend evening services at the DOHANY STREET SYNAGOGUE, the largest in Europe until 2006) We found a listing for a Restaurant ROSENSTEIN (home maid cooking traditional Jewish dishes) we caught a cab and went there to find it closed (maybe out of business) The cab driver than took us to OSTERIA a restaurant down the street from the Synagogue. There was a group from California of 4 couples there to catch a River Boat on Sun., that had just left the Friday night services. Cherie had a 100% Vegetarian Minestrone Soup and I had roasted Duck (very good). Then back to the hotel for a good nights rest after that long hard ride uncomfortable ride to get here.

SATURDAY AUGUST 15TH

Up early this morning breakfast caught a cab to be at Shabbat services at the Dohany Street Synagogue @9:30am, beautiful building in side and out. A little like Plum Street Temple in Cincinnati.

The service was very strange not reformed or orthodox, the woman sat speared on each side and the men in the middle. Asked that woman cover up men cover there heads. They preformed the whole service in Hebrew as in an orthodox synagogue; they played the organ and had a quire. The cloth hanging down in front of the Aaron Kodesh had a electric motor to lift it and behind two large cold colored doors to be opened.

It gave the impression they where putting on a big Hollywood production (some what disappointing).

After returning to the hotel we chose to not to go on the walking tour of Budapest the Capital of Hungary. We chose to take a open bus tour with 14 stops on both sides of the River Pest & Buda which was vary relaxing and informative.

This evening we are to be picked up @ 6:45 for a Gala Dinner at Hungary’s world-famous Gundel Restaurant (must weir a jacket). The dinner was extra special and excellent (The Menu, Wine Red & White plus A toast with some sparkle, Platter of leaf Salad with house dressing blue cheese, the favorite soup of Franz Joseph (Potato), Sautéed Breast of chicken with Julienne of Mushroom Pancake, The classic Crepe a’la Gundel and Coffee. Now for the big Surprise To day was Cherie’s Birthday I had made arrangements for a Birthday cake months ago. To my surprise the there were 4 strolling musicians playing string instruments and one sitting down playing something that looked like a piano by hitting the top with pitons on the strings. Cherie was ecstatic and I again had tears in my eyes. We also got up and danced.

After we left the Restraint we stopped at Heres’Square at night.

And then to the Hotel for a good night’s sleep.

SUNDAY AUGAST 16TH

After breakfast meet in the lobby with the rest of our group for a full-day of sightseeing tour of Budapest by bus, including a walking Tour of (Jewish Heritage) the Jewish Quarter of Budapest. And lunch on Castle Hill in Buda. We than

At 8:00 pm meet again for a Scenic Boat Cruise of the Blue River Danube aglow at night.

MONDAY AUGUST 17TH

Have to be ready and packed in lobby of hotel @6:30am to transfer to airport to catch flight to Prague at 8:55am on CZECH AIRLINES arriving at about 10:15am. Met at Baggage clam buy our privet guide and driver. Transfer to the Hotel Intercontinental. At 2pm picked up at the hotel by guide and driver for a city tour of Prague plus a three walking tour of the Prague Castle, plus a breathtaking view of the City from the very top of the Castle. You can see one of the many bridges that cross the Vltava River from our Hotel Room. After returning to the Hotel and a little rest @ about 6:30pm 5 of us walked to the oldest kosher restaurant in Prague (KING SOLOMON) Cherie was in seventh haven.

She had lame flay, I deer (Kosher) I also bought a bottle of Kosher wine, bottled in Chez Republic Baron Aaron/Gunsberger 2000. Than back to the Hotel and a good nights sleep.

TUESDAY AUGEST 18TH

At 9:00am met in the lobby of hotel for a 4hr. walking tour of the old town and Jewish Quarter visit the Jewish Museum complex, including the 13th century Alt-Neu Synagogue, Then walk the Jewish Cemetery ,dates back to the 15th century. Some of these graves can be as many as 15 one on top of each other, and date back to the 16th century Jewish Town Hall with its distinctive tower and clock with Hebrew letters (operating in reverse).

The rest of the day and tomorrow is at leisure to shop or what ever.

I stopped at corner and was helped to lay Teflon.

On the way back to the hotel and a little shopping, we stopped at the CHABAD’S Shelanu Restaurant for a light bite of lunch.

Today there are only 600 Jews that live in Prague.

Tonight we went to DINITZ KOSHER LEMEHDRIN (Restaurant) I had a stake and Cherie had Chicken Schnitzel.

WEDNESDAY AUGUST 19TH

Today is a free day except for the farewell dinner @7:15pm at the NEBOZIZEK RESTAURANT.

We opted to for an optional tour to Terezin and found the price to be somewhat prohibited @ $500 for three of us. We found a tour though the Concierge at the hotel with Whittman Tours (The only authentic Czech Jewish tour operator) @$70 per person. We are to be picked up at 10.00am for the 6hr. tour (Terezin is the former “model” concentration camp) This camp is described by survivors as the waiting to hell. Our guide was vary good Marketa Trojanova (Trojanova.m@seznam.cz)

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

KCBARKER: Do you have a website for WHITMAN TOURS. any other info about Budapest sights, etc thanks. we are going in december

We were just in Prague a week or so ago. You don't need any "tour" as the Jewish quarter is several blocks "this" way, and several block "that" way. VERY easy to see everything on your own. Prague is a wonderful and EASY city to explore on your own.

What about the Jewish Quarter in Budapest. THanks. Everyone enjoy your weekend.

Have a good trip.... I'll be anxious to hear all about your trip. We will be on the same trip next year at the same time. I hope the weather is good for you and looking forward to hearing about your tours.

HAVE FUN

We are going with Vantage and have a free day in Budapest any Ideas ???..

Budapest is so easy to walk around, we had 3 days there last year.

Fantastic views from the Danube and Castle Hill, walk across the Chain Bridge..spend time wandering around Central Market..Shoes on the Danube..Parliament..St Stephens Basilica..Heroes Square..House of Terror Museum..Danube night cruise..thermal baths..ohh theres so much to see and experience. Goulash..chimney cakes...try a langos upstairs at the Central Market, yum (google them :-) )

I'm sure you will enjoy your time in Budapest

Deb

Budapest is so easy to walk around, we had 3 days there last year.

Fantastic views from the Danube and Castle Hill, walk across the Chain Bridge..spend time wandering around Central Market..Shoes on the Danube..Parliament..St Stephens Basilica..Heroes Square..House of Terror Museum..Danube night cruise..thermal baths..ohh theres so much to see and experience. Goulash..chimney cakes...try a langos upstairs at the Central Market, yum (google them :-) )

I'm sure you will enjoy your time in Budapest

Deb

Thanks for the info

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Deb: Any other tips? We are doing Danube Waltz coming into Budapest 12-13 and have 2 days on our own. Thanks. Did you do Hop on Hop Off? Did you use Anni Fischer for tours? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Iris

We never did a river cruise so not sure about Formal nights, etc.

Since my husband and I are travelling by ourselves, I don't know if a private tour company would be able to add us to an existing group tour? In the past we've put together private tours with up to 16 people. Does anyone know of a tour company in Prague and Budapest that offers small private group tours? We'll be on AMA in Oct 2014.

Deb: Any other tips? We are doing Danube Waltz coming into Budapest 12-13 and have 2 days on our own. Thanks. Did you do Hop on Hop Off? Did you use Anni Fischer for tours? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Iris

We never did a river cruise so not sure about Formal nights, etc.

Hi Iris

we did do the HOHO as well, it was a 2 day ticket plus included a river cruise as well, which we used on the last trip of the day so we could get the sunset as well, but be warned that most people seem to have the same idea, there were loads of people there, they ended up using 2 boats, but didnt turn anyone away. (there were places everywhere selling the tickets, we bought ours from our hotel).

We also took a free walking trip, which was great, they are run by a fantastic group of young people, they have about 4 different tours each day, we took the morning one. You dont pay for the tour but pay what you feel is a fair tip, there wasnt even any pressure to pay that, some people just walked off at the end. They gave loads of uselful tips about eating/shopping out and about in Budapest. After the tour , those that wanted, went to a old cafeteria in a dorm like building, the food was local, tasty and very cheap.

The rest of the time we walked around on our own, its very easy to do in Budapest. We did each night too, we never felt unsafe at all. Its a beautiful city both day and night.

Enjoy, Deb