Cruise Critic Community
bejo

Jewish tour of Budapest and Prague

This may be too late to help the OP, but we were just in Budapest and had two half day private tours with Gabriella Torok. She is very knowledgable, much better than any of the guides with our river cruise. She does a great Jewish Heritage tour, and she will personalize the tour according to your wishes. Her contact information is below:

Gabriella Torok

licensed tour guide Hungary

http://www.privatetoursbudapest.com

Mobile: +36 30 369 2662

Tel, fax: +36 1 226 1189

Budapest H-1222 Toldi M.u.18

This may be too late to help the OP, but we were just in Budapest and had two half day private tours with Gabriella Torok. She is very knowledgable, much better than any of the guides with our river cruise. She does a great Jewish Heritage tour, and she will personalize the tour according to your wishes. Her contact information is below:

Gabriella Torok

licensed tour guide Hungary

http://www.privatetoursbudapest.com

Mobile: +36 30 369 2662

Tel, fax: +36 1 226 1189

Budapest H-1222 Toldi M.u.18

I didn't have any idea of how much a private tour should cost. If you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate it, if you would say what you paid and what you saw? Thanks, Darlyne

Edited by gramma of 5

I didn't have any idea of how much a private tour should cost. If you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate it, if you would say what you paid and what you saw? Thanks, Darlyne

I believe we paid about 100 euros for a half day tour, including the use of her van. A walking tour would be somewhat less. We saw all the usual sites in Budapest, plus some less often seen sites, like a medieval synagogue in Budda. We saw the major synagogues in Pest, plus many other sites on the Jewish quarter.

Just back from Budapest (saw lots of Viking cruisers) and utilized these walking tours for diy

http://www.bigboytravel.com/europe/hungary/budapest

http://visitbudapest.travel/activities/budapest-sightseeing/inner-city-walking-tour/

Highly recommend the free walking tours previously mentioned by others. The guide will meet you by the fountain in Vorosmarty Square. If the group is large they will divide it up to a manageable size. They do a great job and depend on the tips so well worth supporting them.

http://www.triptobudapest.hu/

We did the guided tour offered at the Doheny Synagogue and it included the memorial garden, memorial tree, and small Jewish museum which had a lot of nice pieces along with one of the diy walks.

Be sure to visit the Buda side-in addition to the obvious tourist stops, be sure to visit the Faust Wine cellar in the Hilton near Fisheman's Bastion. It was one of the highlights of our trip as we enjoy wine. We just ordered a couple of glasses but they do offer tastings and you can book ahead online. It is a cozy cellar 54 steps down in the labyrinths of Buda. If you like history, visit the Light and Shadow exhibit as well as the cellars in the History Museum which is part of the Castle District. Nominal charge to get in and you can see a lot even spending about an hour.

It is easy to get around Budapest from where the boats dock using trams, metro, busses. The only thing we didn't enjoy was the coffee and pastry at the famed NY Cafe. It is opulent but the service and food was not good at all.

Enjoy your trip!

Lobes1: Thanks for the info. Did you do a Viking cruise? Did you pay her by credit card, US money, Euro's, etc Any info would be appreciated. thanks.

Hi: We contacted Gabriella and she wants $432 in US money for the 4 hour tour and I forgot how much for the Jewish tour. Isn't that quite expensive. What are your thoughts. Thanks.

Hi: We contacted Gabriella and she wants $432 in US money for the 4 hour tour and I forgot how much for the Jewish tour. Isn't that quite expensive. What are your thoughts. Thanks.

Are you sure about that? Two months ago, according to my paperwork, she charged 125 € ($167) for a four hour walking tour, 150 € ($200) for a four hour car based tour. There were four of us. She does charge more if she uses a large van for a larger group. She is not inexpensive, but she is worth it. She accepts dollars. florists, euros or CC (with a surcharge). We were on an AMAWaterways Cruise, but that is another story.

Edited by Lobes1

this is what Gabriella quoted me for two . EUR 320 is USD 432 or HUF 96000. The walking tour is EUR 120 up to 4 persons. 1 EUR is 1.35 USD

Am I reading it wrong. Thanks. Iris

this is what Gabriella quoted me for two . EUR 320 is USD 432 or HUF 96000. The walking tour is EUR 120 up to 4 persons. 1 EUR is 1.35 USD

Am I reading it wrong. Thanks. Iris

Since the price of the walking tour is unchanged, I wonder if you misunderstood or if the 320 € is for a full day?

I contacted her and she said her prices have gone up. Thanks.

That is more than I would pay. She was good, but not that good. I might consider the walking tour though.

Thanks. I agree $650-$700 is a lot of money for7 hours without admission charges. Has anybody heard of Andrea g who does tours in barcelona

ME AGAIN. Does anybody know anything about Andrea Magyar Goczo who also does tours in Budapest. Thanks. IRis

Has anyone looked into private tours in Prague? After talking to friends that have been to Budapest, I think we are going to get the Jewish pass that covers admission to all of the Jewish sites. I've been told it's easy to do a self guided tour in Budapest. How does that sound?

gramma of 5: How do you get the Jewish pass that covers admission to all of the Jewish sites. Any other tips from your friends who have been to Budapest. We are going 12-2013 Thanks.

I was told that at your first stop, instead of paying for that admission charge, you tell them you want the pass for all the sites. You can go on line and see what's included.

I meant has anybody heard of Anni Fischer who ford yours in Budapest? Thanks. Iris

Just back from fabulous cruise on AMACerto. Flew into Budapest a day early and toured with Anni. She is wonderful!! We had a great day with her.

Any tips on what are must sights in Budapest

Do you know what tour u took with anni and what the cost is

Also did u pY her with credit card euros us money or huf

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Any restaurants sopping etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Irid

Lobes1: The tour you took with Gabriella, did she just show you the sights or did you actually go in? IF you go in, that counts as part of your 4 hours, right? Thanks. iris

Any tips on what are must sights in Budapest

Do you know what tour u took with anni and what the cost is

Also did u pY her with credit card euros us money or huf

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Any restaurants sopping etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Irid

we did a full day tour. there were 10 of us and we toured in a nice mini bus. we paid in euros and because we were 10 it was very inexpensive

unfortunately it was saturday so we could not do the synagogues.

we did a morning city tour and then traveled to szentendre for the afternoon which was wonderful

we visited the small shul that still survives with contributions and also serves as a memorial to the jewish population of the area totally wiped out in WWII (including members of anni's family. it was very moving

she presented each couple with a beautiful book of the doheny synagogue and took us on a tour through word and pictures on our way back to budapest.

i cannot recommend her highly enough

it was a wonderful day and would have been even better had it not been a saturday

we had dinner at Cafe Kor- fabulous- be sure to make reservation in advance and a wonderful italian restaurant called Trattoria La Coppola

our first nite was at Le Meridian (wonderful) then transferred to Sofitel (AMA group hotel) We should have stayed at Le Meridian and done the pre cruise on our own. Oh well

In Prague we booked a full day private tour with Ljuba from precious legacies tours . she was ill so we toured with her colleague Eva. we did the city sights and the jewish sites and saw as much as possible in 7.5 hours

Eva was fabulous and we saw far more than those who took the AMA included tour. There were 4 of us and it was 5000czk a couple. well worth it.

wish we had planned a couple extra days in both budapest and prague!!

have a wonderful trip