3 days in and around Anchorage, what do you think of this itinerary?

radhak

We are taking the Norwegian Sun southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver BC, starting June 10th (Monday). We are two families, symmetrically made up of 2 adults and 2 kids (aged 11 and 14) each family.

We are reaching AK at 00.30am on June 8, Saturday, and since the cruise sets out at 9pm on Monday, we effectively have almost 3 (okay, 2-and-half) days there.

We'll be staying just the first night (or just the early morning of Sat) in Anchorage, and sight-see around the city during the day.

The plan is to rent cars and drive up to Denali National Park the evening of Saturday, and stay two nights at Denali. The shuttle buses within the park seems a good way to get to hike or see wildlife...? Or is there any other, better option?

We drive back Monday morning and catch a shuttle to Whittier (one-way rentals are exorbitant).

Any of the above makes you go 'Uh, Uh'? Don't be shy, tell me as it is!

Couple of further questions

- Somebody told me that car windscreens crack a lot while driving to Denali, and we should take insurance to cover that. Is this such a big issue to need special attention? How bad exactly is that drive?

- Mt. McKinley might prove elusive to see, I'm told. But Denali should be more than just a look at that mountain top, right?

Did you notice that Anchorage to Denali is 240 miles? Google Maps shows it as 4 1/2 hours, but with traffic and construction it'll be more like six or seven hours. So you could spend Saturday getting there, Sunday go into the park, but then Monday you'd have to be on the road pretty earlier to get back in time to get to the ship.

Also, you are going to be VERY tired when you get into Anchorage. It is a 4 hour time difference from your home in FL. Do you sleep well on the plane? If not you may well be out of it a good part of the next day. It will be hard to make the long drive.

Your plan is ambitious but doable if Denali is a must see for you. Yes, the buses into Denali are your best way to see the park.

I would plan on sleeping in the first morning in Anchorage. You really do want to get adjusted to the new time zone. Then I would head to Denali stopping along the way. Check out this link for some things to see along the way:

http://www.alaska.org/guide/anchorage-to-denali-national-park

Next day I would take a shuttle into Denali Park. Shuttles allow you to get off and hike and then pick up another shuttle. Just know that you will then need to pick up another shuttle to either continue on or head back. However, if your group stays together, it may be difficult to find a bus with room for all of you. Note that there are not really trails in most of Denali National Park. There is a trail from the Eilson Visitor Center.

Lots of Denali info here:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/index.htm

Yes, Denali is a lot more than just the mountain. Some experts say only 25-30% of visitors actually see the mountain. There are flights if of interest. Denali NP is a vast wilderness which is enjoyed by those who love scenery and wildlife. Just note the experience is not zoo-like. The animals are few and far between, but you do see them in the wild which is quite the experience for anyone who has the interest.

Your last day, I would get a relatively early start and drive back to Anchorage. I know it can take a lot longer due to construction or accidents, but when we made the trip in 2008 we lucked out and without stops it took us 4.5 hours.

I am not sure about the reference to broken windshields. You will not be driving on any dirt roads. There are dirt roads but not on the route you should be taking. Plus, most rental companies don't allow you to take their cars on those roads anyway.

We are taking the Norwegian Sun southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver BC, starting June 10th (Monday). We are two families, symmetrically made up of 2 adults and 2 kids (aged 11 and 14) each family.

We are reaching AK at 00.30am on June 8, Saturday, and since the cruise sets out at 9pm on Monday, we effectively have almost 3 (okay, 2-and-half) days there.

We'll be staying just the first night (or just the early morning of Sat) in Anchorage, and sight-see around the city during the day.

The plan is to rent cars and drive up to Denali National Park the evening of Saturday, and stay two nights at Denali. The shuttle buses within the park seems a good way to get to hike or see wildlife...? Or is there any other, better option?

We drive back Monday morning and catch a shuttle to Whittier (one-way rentals are exorbitant).

Any of the above makes you go 'Uh, Uh'? Don't be shy, tell me as it is!

Couple of further questions

- Somebody told me that car windscreens crack a lot while driving to Denali, and we should take insurance to cover that. Is this such a big issue to need special attention? How bad exactly is that drive?

- Mt. McKinley might prove elusive to see, I'm told. But Denali should be more than just a look at that mountain top, right?

Maybe you already know this but although your ship arrives at 12:30am, you can't get out of Whittier until 6 or 7am due to the tunnel schedule. Not sure of this year but the Avis office in Whittier usually doesn't open until 8am which would put you out at the 9am tunnel.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather head south to Seward with a stop at Mt. Alyeska on the way. I think your kids will be bored to death with all that driving in two or three days. Even after you get to the park you have to take a school bus to possibly see animals and drive even more hours. Ugh.

In a couple hours you could be in Seward where they can walk out to Exit Glacier, go to the Sea Life Center, kayak in the bay, fish, take one of the wildlife cruises, go out to see the sled dogs, etc.

Just my 2 cents -- Save Denali for when you have more time, or fewer kids (LOL).

Wow, lotsa good advice!

But first, Chenega - we are arriving Anchorage at 00.30am by flight. We take the cruise from Whittier 2 days later. I was not aware of the constraints of any tunnel - now I know! Hopefully the operator of the shuttle to Whittier will manage that.

AKStafford, good point - I am being too precise with my google-maps. 6/7 hours will make it a painful affair. Lemme see if this plan can still be tweaked. Suzanne has good alternatives suggested.

If not, vbmom, your links are excellent! Maybe the journey itself will become our objective! I am seriously thinking of alternatives to that bus ride inside the park : hikes et al; a long bus ride after a long car ride might be too much. And thanks too for the other info - all that goes into my cruise-planning-folder.

Dragon, you might have solved one of my problems - of deciding what to see in Anchorage; most probably we'd just be sleeping and resting! The time difference will be an issue, as will the long day - looks like in June, sunrise is at 4.30am and sunset at 11.40pm :eek:! Can't imagine how that'd be!

I know very few people that have a problem with the time difference. I would NOT waste one single minute more then necessary sleeping. You can catch up on your sleep once you get on the ship. Why travel all this way to just look at the backside of a pillow?

As for your trip to Denali I'd say go for it. Unless you plan on making multiple trips back here this could be your one chance. Don't waste it on a trip to Seward. After just two hours down there I'm usually bored to death. That includes the 30 minutes at the SeaLife center.

I know very few people that have a problem with the time difference. I would NOT waste one single minute more then necessary sleeping. You can catch up on your sleep once you get on the ship. Why travel all this way to just look at the backside of a pillow?

I can't agree more. The way to conquer jet lag is NOT to sleep in, but to get up at a normal time and adjust to the local time ASAP.

Google and Mapquest have accurate mileage distances but very inaccurate driving times. I think they assume Alaska has interstate highways so the average speed is 50-60mph when indeed it is more like 45mph or maybe less.

Seward has a lot to offer, contrary to some people's interest. But it really depends on YOUR interests.

If you took Saturday and drove to Denali, you arrive in mid-afternoon. Great activities near the entrance then on Sunday take the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. Monday drive back to Anchorage. But here is where we might disagree.

With four people in each of two families, you are looking at 8 people. Transfers are easily $50/person so you are looking at $400. If you switched cars in Anchorage on Monday (pick up an Avis car downtown Monday morning), you pay max $250 for a full-size car or a minivan. You could even have 6 of you in the minivan and 2 take the train or a shuttle/transfer. In any case, even $250 for four of you and two minivans will be almost the same price as the transfers. And then you get some time to make a few stops en route along scenic Turnagain Arm. If you leave Denali at 7am, you get to Anchorage by about noon. Switch cars and grab a bite to eat, leave Anchorage by 2pm. That gives you +-5 hours to take the 1-1/2 hour drive to Whittier. So you have about 3-1/2 hours of stops. You can easily use up 3-1/2 hours with all the activities and things to do/see en route.

That is a lot of driving for a short time at Denali. Also, hubby just mentioned if there is a rock slide or an accident, you could be stuck for hours - not something you want to deal with when you're on a timeline. There is plenty to see and do around Anchorage and it will be more relaxing than all of that driving.

That is a lot of driving for a short time at Denali. Also, hubby just mentioned if there is a rock slide or an accident, you could be stuck for hours - not something you want to deal with when you're on a timeline. There is plenty to see and do around Anchorage and it will be more relaxing than all of that driving.

If there is an earthquake or a volcanic eruption, or... or... or... Sometimes one must accept the very low risk issues. Plus, if there is such a rock slide, very likely scores of Princess buses will be stuck too. I certainly would not make my decision based on such factors, but everyone has their own tolerance for risk. Yours is obviously low.

If there is an earthquake or a volcanic eruption, or... or... or... Sometimes one must accept the very low risk issues. Plus, if there is such a rock slide, very likely scores of Princess buses will be stuck too. I certainly would not make my decision based on such factors, but everyone has their own tolerance for risk. Yours is obviously low.

Well, I did write that my husband brought up the rock slide, so no, it isn't obvious that my tolerance is low. We both, however, have spent several hours stuck on the Parks highway and the Seward highway because of rock slides and accidents. Heck, I have spent an extra hour on the Glenn for a moose that was hit. If the OP is traveling independently in her own vehicle, not on a Princess bus schedule, then there may or may not be buses stuck.

Simple erosion can lead to a rock slide; it doesn't have to be an earthquake, but, by the way, we have earthquakes in Alaska every day. Albeit, most unfelt, but they do occur.

I can't agree more. The way to conquer jet lag is NOT to sleep in, but to get up at a normal time and adjust to the local time ASAP.

I agree and disagree. ;) We had an early flight into Vancouver so were up very early to get to the airport. That evening we were in bed shortly after 7:00 p.m. and slept until 7:00 a.m. and never had a problem after that. We adjusted easily. However, with the OPs arrival time, his body clock will be thinking it is 4:30 a.m. when they arrive. Unless they were able to sleep on the plane, that is going to be a rough day. If they weren't planning on driving I would be more apt to agree with you. But to perhaps be functioning on a couple hours sleep at the most and then trying to drive, I just don't think that is responsible. In fact, there are plenty of studies out there saying tired drivers are great risks on the road, just like those who have been drinking.

If not, vbmom, your links are excellent! Maybe the journey itself will become our objective! I am seriously thinking of alternatives to that bus ride inside the park : hikes et al; a long bus ride after a long car ride might be too much. And thanks too for the other info - all that goes into my cruise-planning-folder.

!

If you are not going to take a shuttle into Denali, then I would look at other touring options in AK and skip Denali. To me, Denali is all about getting into and experiencing its vast wilderness. That is only accomplished with a bus into the park.

The Kenai Peninsula is a great idea for those with the interest. Seward has wonderful boat tours that concentrate on Marine Wildlife and visit a glacier. With your hiking interest you could hike the Hardings Icefield Trail outside of Seward.

http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/harding_icefield_trail.htm

If you headed north from Anchorage there is Manatuska Glacier where you can hike right on the glacier. The kids in your group would probably really enjoy this and it is much cheaper than taking a helicopter to a glacier and then hiking on a glacier.

http://www.micaguides.com/

Also, the day your are boarding your ship would be a great opportunity to take a Prince William Sound glacier tour out of Whittier if your group is interested. You will see a bit of wildlife, but the concentration is on glaciers. You can take the train, or the tour companies have combo packages:

http://www.phillipscruises.com/

The following company seems newer, so can't vouch for it, but have been starting to see its name on the forums.

http://www.lazyotter.com/

The time-difference could have been worse; with the looong period of daylight, it should be manageable. I plan to sleep the rest of the night till (say) 7am local time. And as rightly pointed out - if any of us wants more sleep, that's what the 7-day cruise will be for!

Denali seems to be a popular destination for everybody in our group; of course, I'm only the husband and dad, not the main decider ;), so most probably, that's how it might go down. But I can see value in identifying places along the way to visit, using that excellent link from vbmom, to make it more than just a long boring drive. We'll need to prioritize from all those places on that list.

Now we are thinking of renting just a single van for all of us - that way more drivers and lesser dangers from exhausted driving. Seeing that we'd have 'cruise luggage', looks like a 12-seater van from Midnight Sun, with the last seat removed, might serve for space for passengers and luggage.

edit: vbmom, more thanks for those additional links! always helpful when deciding our plan of action. Good point about Denali : if we end up there, and quickly enough, we will take that bus on Sunday.

?

The roads to Denali and the road you may be driving in while you are at Denali are paved. You have the same chance of getting a cracked windshield as you do while driving in any place in the lower 48.

DON

!

Frankly, don't even consider going to Denali Park unless you are getting into the park.

I find your planning, underestimating time. You can NOT count on 65mph traffic and am not allowing for any construction delays, which can be significant. You need to allow 6 hours with some stops, Denali/Anchorage. A grocery stop, by Wasilla on the way there. Then another 1 1/4 plus tunnel time, Anchorage/Denali. You would best to get through the 5:30pm tunnel.

I suggest you make sure Denali Park is what you think it is. It is mostly scenery with some wildlife. Most times, the wildlife is a distance away with binoculars being necessary. The min. distance I only consider is Eielson.

An alternative suggestion is to save a few hours and go to Seward. Excellent varied wildlife boat tour of the Kenai fjords, Alaska Sealife Center, Seavey's Sled dogs etc.

With a one way rental, you save backtracking- but expect a costly drop fee. Could make a better use of time, even if you do back track. The Arm is scenic and worth a couple trips. :)

the road to Denali is different than the Denali Highway...that is unpaved and you are not allowed (by most companies) to take rental cars across the highway...The Denali highway has nothing to do with Denali State Park, or Denali National Park....The "highway" is not like one that you have in most states. Most of the time is is a 2 lane road....not like an interstate...and there is a good chance that it will take MUCH longer than you think...I usually allow 6 hours....at least....and you need to be alert so you won't hit a moose. That will really ruin your day.....

the road to Denali is different than the Denali Highway...that is unpaved and you are not allowed (by most companies) to take rental cars across the highway...The Denali highway has nothing to do with Denali State Park, or Denali National Park....The "highway" is not like one that you have in most states. Most of the time is is a 2 lane road....not like an interstate...and there is a good chance that it will take MUCH longer than you think...I usually allow 6 hours....at least....and you need to be alert so you won't hit a moose. That will really ruin your day.....

I confess I'm a bit confused - did you mean that the Denali Highway only implies the initial 40 miles from Anchorage, and the rest is the 'road to Denali '? Looks like Google maps breaks it up like that (just picked up a hotel near the park as destination). Did not realize that long a stretch would be unpaved.

Or did you mean the road inside the National park (where my car would not be allowed so we'd have to take a bus)?

Yes, seems to me I did under-estimate the drive time to this; but now forewarned, we should be better prepared, I think, like plan for breaks and soak in nature.

We might stop briefly at

a. Dorothy Page Museum & Historic Townsite

b. Susitna River Bridge

c. Mt. McKinley Viewpoint

d. Nenana River Overlook

I'm hoping my camera gets a good workout, even before the cruise starts!

I confess I'm a bit confused - did you mean that the Denali Highway only implies the initial 40 miles from Anchorage, and the rest is the 'road to Denali '? Looks like Google maps breaks it up like that (just picked up a hotel near the park as destination). Did not realize that long a stretch would be unpaved.

Or did you mean the road inside the National park (where my car would not be allowed so we'd have to take a bus)?

Yes, seems to me I did under-estimate the drive time to this; but now forewarned, we should be better prepared, I think, like plan for breaks and soak in nature.

We might stop briefly at

a. Dorothy Page Museum & Historic Townsite

b. Susitna River Bridge

c. Mt. McKinley Viewpoint

d. Nenana River Overlook

I'm hoping my camera gets a good workout, even before the cruise starts!

You will be driving the Parks Highway (fully paved) from Anchorage to Denali. You will not be on the Denali Highway.

The Denali Highway connects Paxson to Cantwell,AK

You will be driving the Parks Highway (fully paved) from Anchorage to Denali. You will not be on the Denali Highway.

The Denali Highway connects Paxson to Cantwell,AK

Techinally from Anchorage to the northern edge of the Palmer Hay Flats they'll be on the Glenn Highway. Then the road splits and they'll stay on the Parks Highway to Denali.

And then in that area there are two different roads. The Denali Highway goes from the Parks Highway at Cantwell to the Richardson Highway at Paxson. It's mostly unpaved and off limits to most rental cars. The Denali Park Road goes from the Parks Highway at the park entrance all the way back to Kantishna, about 92 miles. The first 15 miles of the Denali Park Road is paved and can be driven by private vehicles (as long as it's not winter and the road is snowed in.)

And the funny thing is the Parks Highway name has nothing to do with the fact that it provides access to Denali Nationa Park and the Denali State Park. It was named for George Parks, an early territorial governor.

I'll throw in a couple of pennies...

You're basically allocating all of your time in southcentral Alaska to sitting in a car or on a bus. Is that really what you want?

There's one additional factor that I'm not sure has been brought up - weather. In early June there are no guarantees - zip, nada - that you'll actually see Mt. McKinley on a trip to Denali NP. Over half the visitors to the national park never see the peak - it creates its own weather, never mind the weather it borrows from elsewhere. How would you feel if you drove, groggy, five or six hours (frankly through rather uninspiring scenery for the most part - just forest on both sides of the road) only to hear those famous words, "Ya shoulda been here yesterday?"

Let me pose a small though experiment. You arrive at oh-dark-thirty (except, in June dark it ain't.) You go to a motel with a shuttle from the airport. You sleep until, oh, 8 AM (that will be noon for you and it's impossible for anyone over the age of 19 to sleep later. Oh wait.) You get up and take the shuttle back to the airport where you pick up the cars. You pick up the humans at the hotel and head down the Seward Highway to... Seward. Fifteen minutes after leaving the airport you'll be on Turnagain Arm, one of the most beautiful roads in North America. Pull off at Girdwood and ride the tram at the Alyeska resort up to the "roundhouse" for stunning views of the mountains and water. Stop at the wildlife conservation center at Portage, then stop again at Exit Glacier as you approach Seward. Boom, in one day you've been on a remarkable drive, have walked on the snow, maybe walked to a glacier, seen all kinds of wildlife, and have ended up in an interesting little town. Before you go to bed, check out the weather forecast for Monday (for Anchorage, which can be different from Seward's.)

The next day, take a Kenai Fjords cruise, then drive that evening back to Anchorage. Marine mammals, fantastic scenery (that won't be replicated during the cruise) and no chance of being weathered out.

Assuming the forecast that you saw on Friday was for good weather, Monday morning call Rust's or Spernak's and see if they can take you up to Denali for a fly-by sightseeing trip. If - and only if - the weather's favorable, seeing Denali from a light plane is an incredible experience. It literally fills the sky.

If this works, you wouldn't need a car for the Monday (assuming you're taking a cruise transfer or the train to Whittier) so you've offset the flightseeing cost slightly (and the cheaper hotels in Anchorage and Seward will also have helped.) But you'll have seen "the mountain," seen wildlife, glaciers, and some incredible scenery, all in rapid order but maintaining some sort of creature comfort. More importantly, you'll have only spent something like six hours behind the wheel or on a bus, vs. something close to 18 hours with your original plan.

Just a suggestion.

Techinally from Anchorage to the northern edge of the Palmer Hay Flats they'll be on the Glenn Highway. Then the road splits and they'll stay on the Parks Highway to Denali.

And then in that area there are two different roads. The Denali Highway goes from the Parks Highway at Cantwell to the Richardson Highway at Paxson. It's mostly unpaved and off limits to most rental cars. The Denali Park Road goes from the Parks Highway at the park entrance all the way back to Kantishna, about 92 miles. The first 15 miles of the Denali Park Road is paved and can be driven by private vehicles (as long as it's not winter and the road is snowed in.)

And the funny thing is the Parks Highway name has nothing to do with the fact that it provides access to Denali Nationa Park and the Denali State Park. It was named for George Parks, an early territorial governor.

Good Information, thanks!

The next day, take a Kenai Fjords cruise, then drive that evening back to Anchorage. Marine mammals, fantastic scenery (that won't be replicated during the cruise) and no chance of being weathered out.

Some good ideas, but I guess you don't fully understand the Kenai Fjords tours. They do in fact often get "weathered out." They are either canceled or reduced to a Resurrection Bay cruise due to rough waters in the Gulf. Honestly I am not sure how often this happens, but reading various reports it is definitely not an isolated occurrence and certainly not "no chance of being weathered out."

Having said that, I mentioned Seward early on in the thread as well.

They do in fact often get "weathered out." They are either canceled or reduced to a Resurrection Bay cruise due to rough waters in the Gulf.
You're right, I got a bit hyperbolic. Yes, they can be canceled, and even on good days the Fjords tours can be quite rough, not advisable for those prone to seasickness. But even then, a cruise around Resurrection Bay can be quite beautiful, and cheaper and quicker than the Fjords cruises. As with Denali, there are no guarantees things will be ideal, but IMO the odds are higher with the Seward option that they'll be acceptable.

Archived