Excursions in Cozumel

Janearl

Could anyone tell me about excursions they have done in Cozumel. We are going in January and want to see some sights. We don't scuba dive or fish. We would like to see some ruins. Do I book on the ship or before. Let me know.

We went to Tulum from Cozumel. We were also in Cancun, and could have gone from there, but the ship doesn't always make it to Cancun, and we didn't want to risk missing that excursion.

We did this excursion through NCL. You have to ferry across to Playa del Carmen and then take the bus to Tulum. There wasn't extra time at either end of the excursion, so we felt safer booking this one through the ship. Tulum isn't as traditional as setting as some of the other ruins, but we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hola Janearl,

I dug out my excursion papers from Carnival. They don't list a tour to Tulum or Xcaret from Cozumel although I am sure you could book one through an indepedent. You might check your cruiseline to see what kind of trips they have. I've looked up tours on RCCL and Carnival before. You might consider a trip to San Gervasio. It is a small ruin and is a short taxi ride out of town. That would free up the rest of the day for whatever.

We just returned from Tulum, and loved the ruins. We went through a priviate tour company referred on cruisecritic, and they were wonderful. They will customize a tour for you. We snorkeled in the caves....if you are interested, I will pass the information to you. Bonnie and Eddie are absolutely awesome. I don't like excursions through the ship. Just too structured and I don't think you get your monies worth.

Sandy:)

We're just back from a great private island tour which was personalized, informative, at your own pace. www.cozumeltours.com

Congratulations. You are the only one suggesting a Cozumel tour. The others are all suggesting waiting until you arrive on the island to take a ferry to the mainland.

Lots of great activities on this island. Don´t miss the underwater world that is Cozumel however. That is what sets this island apart from the rest of the world.

There is a museum, parks, scuba, snorkeling, fishing and beach clubs of all types. I´m surprised you have not had more suggestions.

I agree with MrsMTC. Nelda with www.cozumeltours.com is awesome. She will meet you at the pier and give you a tour of anything you want. If you want to tour the ruins, she wll accomodate. Drop her an email or give them a call. They have a stateside number for info. Just go to their website.

Gracias Cajungal,

I've been looking for a custom island tour. There are so many things to do on Cozumel a person needs to be diverse and try new things. This will be our fourth trip to Coz and we have been considering a trip to Dzul Ha, but the couple going with us want to see some ruins. Maybe Cozumel Tours can come up with a trip to suit our needs. Thanks for the website.

I agree with MrsMTC. Nelda with www.cozumeltours.com is awesome. She will meet you at the pier and give you a tour of anything you want. If you want to tour the ruins, she wll accomodate. Drop her an email or give them a call. They have a stateside number for info. Just go to their website.

I just called Cozumel tours.. and the gentleman who owns it answered. He said they do not offically go to tulum.. or any of the ruins.. because transportation is so iffy there. He said the ferry is the main problem. He highly recommended I take the ships tour of Tulum... even if our ship stays in port till 11pm..

I'm not sure why the gentleman with Cozumel Tours would say the transportation is iffy. In our experience, the ferries ran like clock work both to Playa del Carman and back. Here's what we did:

We contacted Sherri at Cozumel Insider and she set us up with a private driver on the mainland. We hopped the 8 a.m. ferry from Cozumel and he met us just beyond the ferry pier (in front of Sr Frogs) in Playa del Carmen. There were 4 of us and we were in an air-conditioned van. Very comfortable.

We went to Tulum first and got there by 9:30 or so. We toured the ruins and were done by 11:15. From there, we went to Akumal and did some snorkeling and had lunch. We got back to Playa del Carmen and decided to just go walking around on our own. I think we took the 6 o'clock ferry back and pulled up to the pier in Cozumel right around 6:30 p.m.

It was a wonderful day! The driver Sherri arranged for us was extremely friendly and really went the extra mile to see that we saw things that we may have missed had we taken the car ferry over and gone off on our own.

Here's some information on the structured tours that CozumelInsider provides:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/MainlandRuins They may also be able to customize a trip for you.

I can understand why that gentleman didnot want t odo the TUlum tour. Its an all day thing.. 2 hours to get there...2 hours to get back.. which leaves you 2 hours to tour the ruins

The ship leaves by a certain time. We did the ships excursion and it got us back with half hour left so we can shop at the pier.

Cost was 80 bucks pp but for the peace of mind it was money worth spending

I'm not sure why the gentleman with Cozumel Tours would say the transportation is iffy. In our experience, the ferries ran like clock work both to Playa del Carman and back. Here's what we did:

We contacted Sherri at Cozumel Insider and she set us up with a private driver on the mainland. We hopped the 8 a.m. ferry from Cozumel and he met us just beyond the ferry pier (in front of Sr Frogs) in Playa del Carmen. There were 4 of us and we were in an air-conditioned van. Very comfortable.

We went to Tulum first and got there by 9:30 or so. We toured the ruins and were done by 11:15. From there, we went to Akumal and did some snorkeling and had lunch. We got back to Playa del Carmen and decided to just go walking around on our own. I think we took the 6 o'clock ferry back and pulled up to the pier in Cozumel right around 6:30 p.m.

It was a wonderful day! The driver Sherri arranged for us was extremely friendly and really went the extra mile to see that we saw things that we may have missed had we taken the car ferry over and gone off on our own.

Here's some information on the structured tours that CozumelInsider provides:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/MainlandRuins They may also be able to customize a trip for you.

Was this trip you took there recent??

Because this gentleman said the ferrys schedules.. have changed..

Was this trip you took there recent??

Because this gentleman said the ferrys schedules.. have changed..

Yes, we just got home last Thursday. The ferry schedule has changed but not drastically. With the exception of, I think, a couple of times now in the afternoon, the ferries still run every hour. I believe the break in the hourly schedules comes around 2 p.m. but I'm not positive about that. It didn't affect our plans at all since we knew we'd be taking an early evening ferry back to Cozumel.

please let me know who you went through for the excursions

Baby Girl, I assume you're directing your question to me. We went through Sherri at CozumelInsider to plan our trip from Cozumel to the mainland. It was easy. We told her what we wanted to do and see and she set it up for us. There were 4 of us (plus the driver) and we had a van to ourselves and the driver at our disposal for 6 to 8 hours. It was great not having to worry about taxis or hasseling either taking our rental car from Cozumel over on the vehicle ferry or renting a car in PDC and trying to find things ourselves.

You can check the link I posted above (it's Sherri's website, CozumelInsider) to see if there's a trip available that will already take care of your needs. Or, if you have something different in mind, you can e-mail Sherri with what you're looking for: sherri@cozumelinsider.com

Archived