Help! What's best for motion sickness?

gslargent

There are a few new cruisers going with us this weekend and we want to be prepared. What should I buy as the best thing to combat motion sickness? I've read that the Breeze seems to move around quite a bit. Thanks!

We always get Meclizine tablets. We use the Walgreens version, Wal-Dram II. Start a night or two before getting on the ship so it's in your system. No problems at all.

I see a lot of people wearing the patch behind their ear too.

There are a few new cruisers going with us this weekend and we want to be prepared. What should I buy as the best thing to combat motion sickness? I've read that the Breeze seems to move around quite a bit. Thanks!

Eating a green apple a day works quite well as prevention for my seasick prone teens. Many crew members swear by this as well. The sea bands have helped as well as ginger pills. When those don't work gingerbeer is next and on really high seas they have had to revert to Gravol and then just sleep it off.

Sometimes the winding island roads can take there toll on those with motion sickness as well so be prepared for that as well.

We always get Meclizine tablets. We use the Walgreens version, Wal-Dram II. Start a night or two before getting on the ship so it's in your system. No problems at all.

I see a lot of people wearing the patch behind their ear too.

Oh yes, my girls have used that as well. You can get that on the ship for free. That's usually makes them sleepy so they try not to take it during the day.

My kids and I take Bonine. Never noticed any side effects and works great. We take 1 chewable before bed every night, starting a night or 2 before we leave.

This is what we do as well. None of us have ever been sick though still don't want to take a chance as they say to prevent it is MUCH easier then to get rid of it;) I can take it in the morning or night as it doe's not make me sleepy at all.

I do the Meclazine as well which is what Bonine or Less Drowsy Dramamine is...I take it an hour before I get on the ship and then if the seas are calm I wean myself off of it. If they are rolling I stay on it. I tried the sea bands and ginger once and did get sick so I stick with the Meclazine. I also keep a full stomach, that helps me a lot and not hard to do on a ship!!

I use Dramamine-(Purple Less Drowsy Fourmula style). I usally start 1 day before taking 1 pill every morning. Never had any issue or side effects. Never felt the tired feeling some say, Actually feel all perked up.

Im also the same person who gets dizzy just watching the Tea Cups in Disney..LOL So to me they work wonders....:D

I always go with a massive bar tab...that seems to solve everything! Have a great cruise!

I have used the patch, first cruise no problem, second cruise I had a very dry mouth. On our first cruise, we went around a hurricane. I did get sick. but not as bad as I feared. I did find that if I stayed lower in the ship when the seas were rough it did not bother me as much. When I cruise I get the cheap seats. Inside and lower, in the middle of the ship.

I use chewable Ginger pills has done the job for me. the commercial pills just puts me to sleep which is no fun on a cruise. I chew two the night before the cruise and two every night till the end. No side effects.

I 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th non-drowsy Dramamine (and it's generic forms)... Mythbusters did an episode on motion sickness and it worked the best and the most consistently. (Disclaimer: not saying that it's the only thing that works for everyone!) I too start a day or two before and take it at night. It works best when it's in the system before it's needed and taking it at night seems to ward off the drowsiness (even if I need an extra boost and have to switch over to the regular, not non-drowsy formula). Good luck!

We are three women who cruise every fall and sometimes hit rough seas. One of us has gotten very sick in the past when taking nothing. We swear by Bonine. We take one an hour before we board and then one each evening after dinner, just in time to fall asleep during the show :)

Seriously, though, it seems to help us sleep through the night as well as ease nausea. I took them again this past month while sailing home to Boston from FL. and never needed airplugs to drown out hubbies snoring!

So it works twofold :)

This is great advise. Our family is getting ready to go on our second cruise. I have Vertigo from time to time so I was very nervous about cruising. The first time we used the ginger pills. (I saw an above post that had chewable... I didn't know about those.) Anyway, we took the Ginger pills 3 - 4 times a day. We started the day before we cruised. We were never sick. Had one rough day at sea. The pills seemed to work for our family.

DW swears by Bonine. You should start taking this at least 24 hours before boarding and continue through out cruise. Me? As an old "tin can" sailor and ex ocean yacht racer, I tough it out. :p Being outside, or seeing outside/horizon will aid in orientation. Midships is generally smoother crusing than bow or stern.

Another vote here for 24 hour Bonine (or the generic form). In the absolutely worse seas, I doubt anything works 100%, but that seems to work best without negative side effects. The patch has potential issues with dry mouth (as someone mentioned), double vision, and other stuff.

You absolutely have to take any medication before boarding. Once you've started to feel ill, it's too late. My husband isn't a motion sickness sufferer, but he takes it, just in case, for the first couple of days until he gets his sea legs, or if we're going on, say, a whale watch on a small boat.

I think the other things, such as ginger and green apples, are great for people who aren't completely prone to motionsickness, or if you start to feel icky even if you've already taken something.

The lovely Mrs. Jones SWEARS by Meclizine. It's the generic "Bonine", and costs about 10% as much. You can ask for Meclizine at Wal Mart, Walgreens, CVS or most any other drug store, and it's sold in a bottle of 100 for only about $10. The lovely Mrs., takes one pill a day, whether she needs it, or not, and has NEVER had a problem. Very cheap insurance, IMO. ;)

"SKY"

I usually don't have a problem with motion sickness and we have had cabins all over the ship. If I sense myself getting a little queasy I will take 2 Dramamine tablets the first two days of the cruise and then I have never had a problem

The chewable Bonine worked for me as well. Also, if you wake up early and stay up late on the cruise, you can take them twice a day even though the directions say one a day. I was taking it once a day starting the day before our cruise and the first couple of days, I would start feeling a bit sick at night. From the 3rd day on, I took one at breakfast, then one at dinner and experienced no more nausea.

Archived