HELLLLPPPP Newbie cruisers going to Alaska

kelda

Hi Everyone,

We are a couple in our late 30's planning an Alaska cruise in August with our 3 children 11,10 and 4. We are well traveled and have been to many international destinations with our kids from Brazil, to South Africa to Japan. Still, when it comes to the world of cruising everything seems overwhelming. There is too much information online and choosing a cruise line has been the hardest part since we do not know what to expect so I would appreciate your help please. We are flexible and can start from either Seattle or Vancouver. We would like a cruise that has:-

luxurious spacious suites with balcony

a cruise that does not feel crowded

We do not want to do formal meals or go to discos.

a cruise with a very good kids club that keeps the kids busy and entertained the whole day and at the same time gives individualized attention to them.

my husband and i are looking for good restaurants on board, cinema and good shows.

a cruise with an international group of passengers.

Ideally, we want a scenic route that takes us to ice blue glaciers.

We have narrowed our list to Disney Wonder, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Jewel, Celebrity Solstice and CelebrityCentury.

after reading all the reviews I would love to take a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay because I read you can see alot of wildlife life from the ship but my husband thinks that is exaggerated since the ship is huge and the animals will be far and can only be seen by binoculars :confused:

Unfortunately, what you're looking for might not exist Alaska cruises, because they're very popular, are inherently crowded. And because of those crowds, the kids clubs are also very crowded and you won't find individual attention. Depending on what ship, there could be as many as 1000 children on board, which isn't conducive to indiviualization.

If the whole crowd aspect, and less kids are important, then you could try Crystal. They are a luxury line that doesnt attract that many kids on board, but they do have a program. But, their fares can be as much as 3X what you'd pay on a mass market line.

The Disney Wonder sounds like it would be a good fit. Great kid's programs, first run Disney movies (as well as some older ones), best shows I've seen at sea, and a number of spacious suites. Although there are dressier evenings at least half the people don't dress up. I was on the Fantasy and that never seemed crowded.

Disney cruise kids clubs will not give the kids individual attention. They have good service and kid-friendly entertainment though.

I was underwhelmed by Glacier Bay. There was a lot of moraine (gravel) and not so much glaciers. If you choose a cruise that starts or ends in Whittier, you could go on the 26 glacier cruise which is fabulous.

For an upscale Alaskan kid-friendly experience with personalized attention, have a look at Adventures by Disney. They have both a land tour as well as an "add-on" tour with the Disney Wonder cruise.

Everyone thank you for taking the time to reply and give me your suggestions. Before starting the cruise I will actually be at Anaheim taking the kids to Disney land so Ian not sure i want to follow that with another week of Disney! My main concern is that all the entertainment will be geared towards children and I will get bored.

I don't mind flying to Alaska and starting the cruise there and going southward too.

Actually, Disney does the adult thing pretty well. Lots of couples and singles cruise Disney because they do have adult things, adult only areas and adult entertainment. And they keep these things seperate from the family/kids things. But, you kids will not get individualized attention. Crystal will also fill your needs, but the ships are not geared towards family though they accomodate children.

Hi Everyone,

Ideally, we want a scenic route that takes us to ice blue glaciers.

We have narrowed our list to Disney Wonder, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Jewel, Celebrity Solstice and CelebrityCentury.

after reading all the reviews I would love to take a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay because I read you can see alot of wildlife life from the ship but my husband thinks that is exaggerated since the ship is huge and the animals will be far and can only be seen by binoculars :confused:

The reason to go to Glacier Bay if for the glaciers, which seem to be a priority for you. I disagree with boulders' assessment of the glaciers.

285136_2298182091489_2846255_n.jpg

We have seen whales when leaving Glacier Bay and binoculars are a good to have. That doesn't make them any less exciting. Just bring your binoculars and enjoy!

You won't get Glacier Bay with Disney or Celebrity. You need to look at HAL, Princess and NCL for Glacier Bay. Obviously (from my signature) I prefer Princess, but that's just my own personal bias. They do have a good children's program, but they also have formal nights. Of course, you aren't forced to go, and can just eat in the buffet those nights if you prefer.

You mention wanting a kids program that will keep them entertained "all day". Certainly you don't mean all day, every day? Alaska is very port intensive, so you would only have one or two sea days where you would even want to be using the kids club all day.

Alaska is all about the ports, glaciers, and great excursions. Look at the itineraries first to determine what you want to see and do. Then pick the cruise that best suits your touring needs. You'll be too tired at the end of the day to really care how good the shows are. :cool:

We went to Alaska on the NCL Pearl with 4 kids, ages 1-13. I think their 2-bedroom suite might be an excellent fit for you because it would give you some of the perks you desire, including some breaks from the crowds.

My kids loved the NCL kids club. I thought the location was gorgeous for Alaska - the entire wall (almost floor to ceiling) was a window, so they didn't miss the beautiful scenery while at the club. The counselors were great too. We went in May and there weren't that many kids, so they got excellent attention from the counselors. If traveling in May is a possibility for you, I'd highly recommend it. Our weather was perfect.

I know people rave about Glacier Bay, but our personal favorite was Tracy Arm. Indescribable, really.

My friend's family went the following year on Princess, and they had a wonderful trip too and enjoyed the kids club.

We loved Alaska and hope to go back again!

I know people rave about Glacier Bay, but our personal favorite was Tracy Arm. Indescribable, really.

Have you been to both? They are both beautiful, but very different. Many ships do not get far enough into Tracy Arm to see Sawyer Glacier. The OP specifically mentions wanting to see glaciers. Glacier Bay is a guarantee for glaciers. Hubbard Glacier is also very nice.

Archived