Credit cards in Great Britain

We used the Capital One Venture card and it was amazing. No issues with the chip & pin, accepted everywhere, and best of all no foreign transaction fee. :D

I understand this to be true as well. I have the CO venture and spoke with a rep about the chip and pin issues. If it is an issue at point of sale the clerk needs to manually enter the card info and it will be accepted no problem. She said some merchants aren't aware of this option.

Many have responded here with various experiences. I'll share my very recent experience with a US debit card and a Chase Platinum credit card without chip and pin after just returning from the UK yesterday.

We successfully used our ATM card in cash points in London. We also used our Chase credit card paying for our restaurant and hotel and shopping in a department store without problems. We were able to buy train tickets for ScotRail in a machine kiosk with the credit card as well.

The only issue we had was trying to use our debit card at an ATM in Inverness. We were not able to complete the transaction.

BTW, as of June 1, Chase is not charging a foreign transaction fee for its credit cards.

Archived