All this talk about lanyards, do most of you use them?

skoeper

NO WAY! I have to wear a lanyard at work with my ID badge. While on a cruise I am on vacation, not at work!;)

I would not want to wear one either. My lanyard in attached to my belt loop and in my pocket and not hanging around my neck.

Never have to work wear you had to have ID on you to get around, but understand the some of the issues.

The Celebrity lanyards are similar to the Princess...they have Celebrity written on them. However, the plastic holder was a nightmare. It was difficult getting the card in and out. So before our next cruise we are looking at getting a new card holder for them.

Will check them out if I see them on next cruise.

I work on an Air Force Base and I have to wear one every day for work. It holds my CAT card, so I'm just use to it. Besides most of my pants and dresses do not have pockets. So I really do not think for me it is a sign of status as much as it's a convenience, so please don't judge me. Different stokes for different folks.

I work on an Air Force Base and I have to wear one every day for work. It holds my CAT card, so I'm just use to it. Besides most of my pants and dresses do not have pockets. So I really do not think for me it is a sign of status as much as it's a convenience, so please don't judge me. Different stokes for different folks.

How would a lanyard be a sign of status?

How would a lanyard be a sign of status?

I couldn't figure this out either (on another thread)but apparently some people like to have their 'elite' cards showing so that everyone knows how special they are.

The funny thing is, I, in 25 cruises, somehow never noticed that there were different colored cards denoting different status, until it was pointed out. I still wouldn't know who was 'higher up' by the color of the card, and don't care.

Note: I know that the vast majority of lanyard users use them for convenience and not to impress others. It's a very small minority who like to rub their status in.

I couldn't figure this out either (on another thread)but apparently some people like to have their 'elite' cards showing so that everyone knows how special they are.

The funny thing is, I, in 25 cruises, somehow never noticed that there were different colored cards denoting different status, until it was pointed out. I still wouldn't know who was 'higher up' by the color of the card, and don't care.

Note: I know that the vast majority of lanyard users use them for convenience and not to impress others. It's a very small minority who like to rub their status in.

I've seen people wear lanyards, but have never noticed or cared what they carry in them or what kind of card they have. I didn't know there were different color cards until someone started a thread on the colors. I'm just happy mine opens by stateroom. If someone wants people to see their cards, I would suggest a lanyard is not the way to go.

So I really do not think for me it is a sign of status as much as it's a convenience, so please don't judge me. Different stokes for different folks.
You claim not to be into the status of showing your card on board, but your signature indicates otherwise... reminds me of the friend who was having a smoke, and someone offered to light the cigarette. As the person clicked the gold lighter, he said "Van Cleef & Arpel!" My friend's eyes widened, and the person asked " What, you've never heard of it?". My friend replied " No, I've heard of the store, but never heard it spoken before.:D

As previous posts say, it reminds me too much of work. Even at work I choose to clip my card to my clothes rather than wear anything around my neck. For cruises I tuck my card in my bra ( plenty of room there!) and my partner puts his in his pocket.

I have never worn a lanyard, as I usually wear a small across the body bag there isn't a need. However if going swimming (well having a dip) I would probably use one of the small waterproof cases that go round your neck like a lanyard, do they sell those onboard? I bought one on P&O some time ago but it is broken now.

We wear lanyards for the convenience only. I don't recall even looking at other people wearing lanyards to see what color their card is because I really don't care. I guess there will always be people who want to show off, but I think the majority of people wearing lanyards wear them because it is an easy way to keep track of their cards.

We wear lanyards for the convenience only. I don't recall even looking at other people wearing lanyards to see what color their card is because I really don't care. I guess there will always be people who want to show off, but I think the majority of people wearing lanyards wear them because it is an easy way to keep track of their cards.

I really think those that are showing off are only showing off to themselves, because I doubt others, like you and me, even notice what color their card is or what it says on them.

Yours is not the first post to use the term "tacky". Sorry but that seems more than a bit extreme. Using a lanyard is just a personal preference. It might look silly with formal wear and probably is not necessary in the MDR; but tacky? I reserve that term for more serious matters. Everybody--have a wonderful cruise, lanyards or not!:)

• 1 month later...

I love my lanyard! It is so convenient when walking around the ship. The only time I don't wear it is for dinner. Then it goes in my purse. But for just walking around during the day, and since I don't want to carry anything, the lanyard is perfect. Tacky or not doesn't bother me. It's for my convenience - not anyone elses. Blue, Gold, White????? Who cares. Can't believe all the ugly comments about status symbol, being tacky, etc. Life's too short. :D

I haven't been on a cruise since 07. Has this become popular?

I do wear a lanyard at Disney, but that's because I trade pins and also use it to hold my fast passes. Not sure if I would wear a lanyard at sea.

Archived