All this talk about lanyards, do most of you use them?

skoeper

We are going on our 9th cruise next month and we've never used a lanyard. Our last cruise was in 2010, so I'm wondering if this is pretty new. Do YOU use them?

Hi neighbor,

I hate the things. A lotta people wear them to work. I find the dang thing just gets in the way.

I think that the "T" word is probably better left thought but not spoken/typed....so I'll use the "S" word instead...Style!:D

I think it's really more a question of comfort versus style. Lots of things are comfortable and not stylish. Some things are stylish and not comfortable.

For me, the trick is to find a stylish solution that's comfortable- and I find things hanging around my neck and falling in my food at the buffet uncomfortable. I find things that blow in the wind, and into my face, uncomfortable.

I find trousers or shorts with pockets infinitely more comfortable, and can usually find some with a modicum of style.

Cheers,

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I use a lanyard because I typically have no pockets. Don't use it off the ship or at dinner, though.

No one has discussed "keybacks" here, which I wish we could use. Those are the things that clip to a waistband or belt and have a tiny retractable cable. We use them at work for our badges and they're really handy. Unfortunately, they take a non-standard "hole," so I'm not sure how we could put them into practice.

No one has discussed "keybacks" here, which I wish we could use. Those are the things that clip to a waistband or belt and have a tiny retractable cable. We use them at work for our badges and they're really handy. Unfortunately, they take a non-standard "hole," so I'm not sure how we could put them into practice.

Only thing with those is I find the thread breaks frequently. Too much risk of loss.

No. See many wear them ashore which is a dead give away to thieves that you are a tourist.

The simple solution to that is to just tuck in inside your shirt or blouse as you leave the ship. Then you just have to pull it our as you return.

And if you really believe that the locals can't spot a tourist a kilometer away, I've got some waterfront property in Florida that you might be interested in.

The simple solution to that is to just tuck in inside your shirt or blouse as you leave the ship. Then you just have to pull it our as you return.

And if you really believe that the locals can't spot a tourist a kilometer away, I've got some waterfront property in Florida that you might be interested in.

Not our cup of tea!

We have Cruise Critic lanyards that we got on the Liberty pre-innaugural (won a contest of something useless to us and then traded with someone who thought what he won was useless to him). It says Cruise Critic along the fabric portion of the lanyard. I've had many people comment on it while on the cruise (often in the elevator) saying something like "oh, you're the cruise critic" :).

Also got a nice triangular CC bag with them. I often use that in port. I guess that screams TOURIST, too! As someone else said, as if they can't figure that out without it!

When we cruise with our kids (actually adults now), we all use lanyards (we only have 2 CC lanyards so they use other stuff, I think my son has a NY Giants). They're very handy when you need to have the card handy when getting on and off the ship, and at other times.

I am really surprised at how many people think wearing a lanyard is "tacky" or that they "still care too much about my appearance" to wear one. Really?? It is simply a convenient way to have your card on you when you have no pockets at the pool and on deck. I keep mine inside my shirt and never wear it at night but, even if I did, does it really take away from your cruise enjoyment? Now, if you want to talk about men wearing dark socks with shorts and tennis shoes...then I am all in:)

Never used them. Reminds me too much of my ID at work.

Hmm that gives me the idea to use the thing i use for work but on vacation, it's a plastic holder on a pulley thing that retracts and i put it on my belt loop or just over the waist band lol

Yes I use one, but not in usual way. I attach my seapass card with a 'punch hole then loop the lanyard around my belt loop and put card in my pocket. Then I know I will not lose it, especially with pulling out and opening cabin door.

Sorry to the many people who have to have a lanyard around their necks every day of their work life. Guess there are lots of small things I can be grateful for now that I think of it. :)

Fanny packs are OK but lanyards are tacky??? Really...lanyards are convenient I love not carrying a purse...wouldn't be caught dead in a fanny pack (we call them bum bags)...and everything about us screams tourist no matter what we are wearing...:D

Sue

Not sure what you mean.

I think (s)he was referring to their earlier cpmment "See many wear them ashore which is a dead give away to thieves that you are a tourist." And as others have said, the thieves already know that you are a tourist.

I use a lanyard because I want everyone to see that I am elite and in an Aqua Class cabin. If it's in my pocket, no one will be impressed and give me the better service I deserve.

To understand this comment...search for lanyards and a long thread on the topic.

Man I am impressed already:D

I KNOW you read these threads enough to know better! :p :eek: :rolleyes:

and just MAYBE they wouldn't complain so much about...

websites, bookings, the dress code, customer service, prices, upgrades, food, the dress code, drinks, staterooms, cabin stewards, entertainment, shore excursions, the dress code, embarkation, announcements, the dress code, music, smoking, captains club, vouchers, the dress code, manners, debarkation, chair hogs, the dress code, butlers, waiters, bar tenders, pool butlers, manners, and did I mention...the dress code...

But what about the dress code...did you see the lady in the jeans with a lanyard in the MDR...I never:D:D

But what about the dress code...did you see the lady in the jeans with a lanyard in the MDR...I never:D:D

Wait according to your signature, you are at sea now, why oh why would you waste time on here?!?!?!?!:confused:

Wait according to your signature, you are at sea now, why oh why would you waste time on here?!?!?!?!:confused:

Nope I am sitting at home. Got back this morning and already went back to work. I assure you, I'm too cheap to pay for internet to talk on the boards...it would cut into my tropical drink budget:D

And tbyrd79, youre new on these boards, I was just teasing...people on here lose their minds over jeans:rolleyes: and jeans with tacky lanyards:eek::D:rolleyes:

And tbyrd79, youre new on these boards, I was just teasing...people on here lose their minds over jeans:rolleyes: and jeans with tacky lanyards:eek::D:rolleyes:

That's me the tacky lanyard lady. Oh well if they talk about me they might leave someone else alone that may care.:D

Archived