Anytime Dining

Giantfan13

This is the first time we have sailed Carnival, with Anytime Dining. Is their Anytime Dining different from others? We have sailed NCL over 10 times and love it because of the freestyle Dining. We know exactly how that works because the entire dining room is that way. But, from what I understand, Carnival reserves a certain number of tables that are set aside for their Anytime Dining. Is this the way it works?

Is there usually a wait for a table, say if we go to dinner about 7:00? Does the size of the table make a difference. We are with another couple and do not mind if we share a table or just get a table for four.

How does Carnival's Anytime Dining differ from NCL's.?

Cheers

Len

If you go at 7pm there will probably be a wait as it is getting close to the end of the first sitting. i was finishing usually at about seven as i went in at 545 usually and sthere was a line usually

Most of the carnival boats have two dining rooms, and what I've seen is they set one up for traditional dining with big tables and assgned seats. The other is "anytime" and has a lot of tables for two. However, they're really packed in there, you're going to be inches from fellow diners. Consequently if you need a four top, no big deal, just get two 2's side by side if there's no 4 top.

As for crowding, yeah, if you dont like lines, you probably want to eat early or late. Lines move well though, they turn tables quickly. Lobster night is a good night to consider eating early unless you want to test your patience.

Most of the carnival boats have two dining rooms, and what I've seen is they set one up for traditional dining with big tables and assgned seats. The other is "anytime" and has a lot of tables for two. However, they're really packed in there, you're going to be inches from fellow diners. Consequently if you need a four top, no big deal, just get two 2's side by side if there's no 4 top..

True! Lots of tables for two in anytime which are very close together.

LuLu

~~~~

We have been on NCL twice. The first time was on the Crown, which was not really set up for the then fairly new NCL policies. It had the tables for 2 pushed together. Except for one night when the couple at the adjoining table was seated at almost the same time as us, we found conversation with the fellow cruisers sitting by us next to impossible as we were in such different times in the meal service. Last summer we were on the NCL Epic in Europe. We found that you might as well not ask for a table for more than 2 because you would end up just saying we'll take the table for 2 as no one else requested tablemates.

We have enjoyed the equivalent of your time dining on both Princess and HAL. On our previous Carnival cruise, they had not yet implemented anytime dining. This summer we are hoping to enjoy that option on the Freedom.

For Anytime Carnival usually reserves either the upper or lower part of one of their MDR's depending on the ship. Our longest wait was 15-20 minutes on Elegant night (same wait we NCL Epic for Dress Up or Not Night). Other than that we went at all different times depending on what we were doing that day and when we were ready and had no waits for a 4 top.

What about a table for 6? Is there going to be a long wait for 6 people that want to sit together?

Also, can 5 people show up and the 6th met at the table or does the whole group need to be present to be seated?

We chose the ATD on our last Legend cruise-on embarkation night we chose the Steak House, it was our anniversary, so on elegant night (first day at sea) we were seated by ourselves, we didn't ask for it, that's just the way it was, table was ready, no wait. The third night of the cruise, we stated we didn't mind sitting with others, and we were seated with 4 other couples, that was fine too, but too noisy for conversation(both DH and I have hearing problems) the fourth night, (we had an excellent roll call) we dined with members of our roll call, no wait, maybe 5 minutes, fifth night, back to a table for two, no wait. The last night we sat with our freinds too. WE DID NOT GO AT 7-having read that on the hour you may have a wait, we waited until 7:15, and 7:45. I forgot to check what ship you are on, but if it's a fantasy class, part of one of the dining rooms (usually the center)is set aside for anytime, and we were seated upstairs for the anytime on the Legend. (spirit class) Downstairs was set time. Have a great cruise!

What about a table for 6? Is there going to be a long wait for 6 people that want to sit together?

Also, can 5 people show up and the 6th met at the table or does the whole group need to be present to be seated?

your whole group will need to be present in order to be seated.

We tried it with 8= and someone was running late.

Tables for 6 are very few.

many tables for 2 or 4. some for 8 even fewer tables for 10-12.

We've only ever done any time dining and love it. We have gone early and late (hence, any time!) and when we find a wait staff we like, we request them each night. We also request a table for ourselves (usually 3 in our party). Never had a wait except a 10 minute one twice on the Dream in 2010.

This is the first time we have sailed Carnival, with Anytime Dining. Is their Anytime Dining different from others? We have sailed NCL over 10 times and love it because of the freestyle Dining. We know exactly how that works because the entire dining room is that way. But, from what I understand, Carnival reserves a certain number of tables that are set aside for their Anytime Dining. Is this the way it works?

Is there usually a wait for a table, say if we go to dinner about 7:00? Does the size of the table make a difference. We are with another couple and do not mind if we share a table or just get a table for four.

How does Carnival's Anytime Dining differ from NCL's.?

Cheers

Len

Hi Len I have only used Anytime Dining on Carnival (other ships I have been on I was set time) so I can only comment on this

it depends on the ship but typically Anytime dining can take up a level, on the Dream it was the top floor of one of the dining rooms. for instance.

It depends on the sail date and also if it is formal night, for instance one one cruise there was about 10 minute wait but it was formal night and it was spring break time ... which was to our advantage as we had the chance to get some pre dinner portraits taken :)

size of table ... I have done ATD with just two of us and ATD with three of us there really is not much of a difference ... however I have never sailed with a large group, there typically is more availability for tables of two and four ... that being said there are some larger tables near the back of the dining room and in the centre which are circular and sit eight and some twelve people ..

the biggest thing if you are travelling with a group or want to meet up and eat with a group of people to have them all present when going in the dining room, as a lot of people on my last cruise were going up and asking for a table for eight with four people missing.

Sharing a table ... my sister and I shared tables in the past and had a great time, when there was three of us very rarely was there opportunities to share a table, I think in the total 2 weeks on the ship we shared once with two other couples. A lot of people now either have odd numbers which doesn't facilitate to share and or they do not wish to share... sometimes they will ask preference if you mind sharing a table or not

We have never minded we love to share :D but we love the freedom to eat when we want to for our Main Dinning as opposed to being set to a specific time.

Sailed Freedom on 04.20.2013, anytime dining, party of 6. We usually showed up to eat between 7:30 and 8:00. Every time it was a :45 to :90 minute wait. One night we went at 6:00 and still had a :45 wait.

Next cruise we will be doing the steakhouse as often as possible, hopefully every night.

Thanks for the replies. we are sailing on the Glory, July 21.

ON NCL, they ask if you want a table for yourselves or are willing to share. We aren't fussy, so if a table is available for 2 we take it, if not, we share, waiting is not one of my better virtues.

As I said, we are with another couple, so there will always be 4 of us. We just do not like to rush off an excursion and have to eat early, and eating late, well, that's just not for us. Anytime is perfect.

So most say, going about 7:15 should be OK and not a very long wait??

Cheers

Len

Archived