Sailing with Such Mixed Emotions!

We are leaving on a 7 day Canada / New England this Saturday May 18th. I am so excited and looking forward to it, but I have so many doubts nagging at me too.

First, strike one: we were warned several times not to sail Holland with children (they are 12 and 14), and were successfully talked out of sailing Holland before for this reason. But this time we decided to sail the itinerary and date that worked for us, and it was Holland America.

Then, strike two: the ship we are on is Veendam...and reading this board I am nearly afraid to set foot on her...people make it sound like an ancient, floating garbage barge that needs to be sold for scrap or something.

I keep thinking I hope I didn't make a mistake for my family's vacation. I guess it is a mistake to read too much on Cruise Critic before you go on a trip, because sometimes the negativity can really get you down.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a fun time on a nice ship! All the best to everyone and will touch base next week! Good review or bad, which will it be! :eek:

We are leaving on a 7 day Canada / New England this Saturday May 18th. I am so excited and looking forward to it, but I have so many doubts nagging at me too.

First, strike one: we were warned several times not to sail Holland with children (they are 12 and 14), and were successfully talked out of sailing Holland before for this reason. But this time we decided to sail the itinerary and date that worked for us, and it was Holland America.

Then, strike two: the ship we are on is Veendam...and reading this board I am nearly afraid to set foot on her...people make it sound like an ancient, floating garbage barge that needs to be sold for scrap or something.

I keep thinking I hope I didn't make a mistake for my family's vacation. I guess it is a mistake to read too much on Cruise Critic before you go on a trip, because sometimes the negativity can really get you down.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a fun time on a nice ship! All the best to everyone and will touch base next week! Good review or bad, which will it be! :eek:

Positive attitude and don't believe everything you hear/read!:cool: Have a great time on Veendam with the kids!

Keep in mind you are more often going to hear the bad rather than the good. People find the time to gripe on here and are often too busy to report the good.

I think your kids will have a great time. There is always so much to do even if they are not interested in the kid's program.

Enjoy your cruise!

In 2004 I booked the Maasdam for an 11-day Christmas & New Years cruise. Our adult children had other plans that year. It seemed a great time for our first cruise and we were so excited. Then I discovered Cruise Critic. I was shocked and saddened to read that the Maasdam was falling apart. :eek: Everything to do with the ship was awful. And on top of that, because it was a Holiday cruise we would have to endure hundreds of wild children taking over the ship. :eek:

Well, the cruise was paid for, so what were we to do? We went on the cruise - and guess what. Six cruises and nine years later, Maasdam is still our favorite ship. She is still floating and a favorite of many. And those wild kids - they were happily playing around other kids or their parents and had no reason to bother us. :) Veendam got slammed a couple years ago (much like the Maasdam in '04) yet now passengers are reporting great cruises on her.

Take what you read here - count the number of posters who made a comment about a particular problem ... then remember that the Veendam holds over 1,200 passengers. You'll see that it is a very tiny percentage of passengers who actually post here. NOW - GO AND ENJOY YOUR CRUISE! :D

I'm sure your family will enjoy the cruise. For what it's worth, my kids have been on NCL twice and HAL once (this will be their second time in August) and prefer HAL. They are older now than yours (18 and 19) but their first trip on HAL was at the ages of 16 and 17 and Club HAL left a very positive, lasting impression on them. (That trip was on the Ryndam, another one of the smaller vessels). Their first trip on NCL was when they were 6 and 7, and they had very fond memories of that line... until the Ryndam trip 10 years later. (2nd NCL trip was at 17 and 18 - decided it just didn't measure up to HAL in facilities, service, food, etc.). Who knows? Your kids may just love it! But regardless, they will enjoy a trip with you and all the wonderful adventures you will share together.

Have a great time! And do tell us how it all went when you return.

If you board the ship with the attitude of 'strikes' again your cruise, you will find fault with everything

If you board for your family vacation with a 'we're going to have a great time' attitude, you will have a great time.

Get the 'strike' langugage out of your thought process.

Will your family all be together?

Will you be making the beds, cleaning the bathrooms, buying the groceries, cooking the meals etc?

Will you be seeing beautiful scenery and doing fun things?

It is up to you to make your vacation all you want it to be.

I hope you all do that...... have a great time.

I sailed her last may and only thing I disliked was that it had just one pool, nothing wrong with ship, unless you want rock climbing wall/water slides and 5,000 other passengers

We are sailing Veendam in August and I, too, dislike she doesn't have her outdoor, aft pool.

But I expect the rest of the ship to be just fine.

My children were 7 and 9 and they "survived" our last HAL cruise and DD asked for more (and they had Royal Caribbean and Disney Cruise to compare to). Plus, for your itinerary, I suppose you will be spending lots of time at the ports so once you're back on the ship you will appreciate the tranquility on HAL.

We've never sailed the Veendam..but my grand kids starting from about age 4 and 7 have sailed Hal twice now..and they loved it:) The Kids program will be great and you will all be together on vacation!!

Please let us know how much you enjoyed the cruise...would also love to hear what you did in the ports...we will be headed that way in a month:)

:eek:

our last year's HAL cruise there were only 70 minors (out of 1000+pax). My two kids, 11 and 14 yo, had a very good time. While HAL ships are not designed to please children, they have advantages too. The kids facility and indoor swimming pool were almost never crowded. Fellow pax are friendlier to them. My kids actually like their HAL experience better than the spanking new kids oriented Carnival Magic.

We will be on Veendam as well in about one month. While I also read some neg. feedbacks about the state of the ship, most remarks remain positive. I am sure your family will have a good time on Veendam.

You will have a lovely time if you relax and make the most of it!

Bear in mind that CC people aren't the 'average' cruise passenger - I often notice that there is a definite skew on the board to those who do longer cruises/back to backs/collectors, as well as people who stay in Neptune Suites. Most of the passengers on the ship will be there for one week in a standard cabin and won't even notice things that CC people do.

Enjoy!

Have you ever consulted the Trip Advisor website? Cruise Critic is very much like it...

Just think of the best hotel in the world you have ever been in. The one where everything was just right and you felt so great that you wanted to come back time and again. Now go check that same hotel on Trip Advisor. Chances are people have reported that it is infested with cockroaches, has the worst food in the universe, the staff is the rudest they have ever encountered and on and on. Who is right? You are your own judge.

p.s. I would not hesitate to bring my family on the Veendam. Hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise. Enjoy!

I am no fan of the Veendam as she is now. However, I spent 20 days on her in January and can say with absolute confidence that she is no "garbage barge". Not even close.

I had a very nice time on her, and know that there's no reason you won't, too.

You will have a lovely time if you relax and make the most of it!

Bear in mind that CC people aren't the 'average' cruise passenger - I often notice that there is a definite skew on the board to those who do longer cruises/back to backs/collectors, as well as people who stay in Neptune Suites. Most of the passengers on the ship will be there for one week in a standard cabin and won't even notice things that CC people do.

Enjoy!

I promise no offense with an honest answer....... :D

Do you think those whom you describe skew toward being too critical or too accepting of deficiencies?

I'm really interested or wouldn't ask. :cool:

Thanks.

Wow all I can say is thank you all so much for the great posts...I am feeling more optimistic today.

We are hitting the road soon so once again wanted to thank everyone and I will post when I return for anyone that is interested in a review.

Thanks again for the positive vibes I am taking them to heart and preparing for a fabulous time!!!!!!! :D

Wow all I can say is thank you all so much for the great posts...I am feeling more optimistic today.

We are hitting the road soon so once again wanted to thank everyone and I will post when I return for anyone that is interested in a review.

Thanks again for the positive vibes I am taking them to heart and preparing for a fabulous time!!!!!!! :D

Please do, and enjoy!

Archived