Epic - Western Mediterranean - May 5th

MISStheboat

Hi

Thanks for your review MISStheboat, sounds like you had a good time. We will be enjoying our 1st NCL cruise on Epic is August, and have one question about Palma. We have stayed in Majorca many times and know Palma quite well although not necessarily the port area. My question is about where the ship docks. My plan is to take a bus from the port to Cala Major (just a few miles away) for a bit of beach time. Assuming the ship docks at a similar spot each time, is it possible to walk from ship through the port to the Av. Gabriel Roca (i.e. the main parimeter road around the port) whereby we can then pick up our bus ? I don't want to have to pay for the shuttle into town if we have no intention of going to town. Failing this I presume there are taxis waiting at the ship, but figure with just 3 of us then the bus would be cheaper ?

What are your views ?

Fig

The ship docks at terminal "Estació Marítima núm 2", which is next to the 300-400m from ship to sidewalk at the terminal. There are taxi's outside the terminal and from there it's easy 100m walking distance to Av. Gabriel Roca/C Porto Pi busstop which is next to Club de Mar.

See pic;

974ti8.jpg

edit; a cab Cathedral busstop (near the NCL busstop) - Club de Mar/Porto Pi busstop is around 8 Euro in normal traffic

I did the Epic transatlantic from Miami on April 20 arriving in Barcelona on May 1st. I then flew to Rome and got on the Navigator of the Seas for a 7 day Eastern Med cruise. On May 12 I got off the Navigator and took the Trenaitalia nonstop from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini and it was only 5 Euros each way.

That sounds like quite a great trip! I'd love to hear about the Navigator cruise, I'll be sailing on that one in 3 weeks! We'll be on the Navigator Eastern Med and then after that sailing on the Norwegian Epic Western Med. If you have any details on the Navigator I'll pop onto the RCL board to check it out! There's quite a few people on our roll call anxious to hear some reports from this year's sailings! :D

That sounds like quite a great trip! I'd love to hear about the Navigator cruise, I'll be sailing on that one in 3 weeks! We'll be on the Navigator Eastern Med and then after that sailing on the Norwegian Epic Western Med. If you have any details on the Navigator I'll pop onto the RCL board to check it out! There's quite a few people on our roll call anxious to hear some reports from this year's sailings! :D

Of the 21 different ships I've been on the Navigator of the Seas is without a doubt the best ship I've been on with its multiple open decks to lean on the rail to watch the pilot boat work or just stare at the water. You can even go right out to the very bow of the ship. I had a Promenade Cabin on Deck 7 and absolutely loved it.

Conversely, the Epic is the absolute worst ship I've ever been on. I hated how true open decks almost don't exist. The cabins are tiny, the sink is ridiculous and long waits for elevators.

Kusadasi, Turkey really surprised me how nice it was. If you want to do some shopping or sitting in streetside cafes having an Efes beer, Kusadasi is the place.

RCNavigatoroftheSeas95.jpg

MISStheboat: "In Rome - there were 11 cruise ships in port - 176 tour buses, the Pope was speaking and St. Peter's square was closed off by security (didn't stop us...LOL) It was CROWDED!! We did this day on our own (not sure I would do that again) and I think we walked 20 miles!! I really think you need more time in Rome, but we saw as much as we could: Trevi fountain, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Vatican, shops, lunch, etc. Also - we took the Trena Italia from Civitavecchia into Rome, which is about an hour or so ride each way. It was 26 or 28 euro round trip for both of us, I think. Not hard to navigate, but again lots of walking. Also - be prepared for gypsies to try to help you around then they kind of latch on and ask you for money. Just say no to anyone that comes up to you and ask for help from station employees on your own if you do this. I was a little disappointed that Rome was SO touristy, SO crowded and such a city type atmosphere. We preferred the charm of the smaller towns much more."

Hi there...thanks for your review. I am wondering in Civitavecchia if there was a shuttle that took you all the way to the train station (or somewhere into town) from the Epic? Last time we were there, the shuttle only went as far the port gates & we had about a 15 min walk to the train station. Thanks!

Archived