Deep Sea Fishing Question.

tjwcs

The official billfish season is from March to June/July. The XXXIV International Torneo de Lanchas Mexicanas was held mid May with over 160 boats from many North and South American countries. It was won locally by a team in a Mexican panga boat as was second place; both with Blue Marlin in excess of 150 pounds.

There are year around species, i.e., Mahi-mahi, Wahoo and Mackerel among others, but the real sport fishing is in the summer.

Bottom fishing for grouper and snapper is generally good most of the year, but things are really slow from October through December and gets better when the water begins to warm a bit.

You aren´t likely to find that on our fishing charter web sites however. Anyone that says Sailfish are in ¨fair abundance¨ from October through December isn´t being quite up and up with you.

Where's this "fair abundance" you quoted...I can't find it.

Let me help you with your own advice. The letter F means Fair, where the letter E means excellent. You are the one that posted the link to the chart that says that Sailfish are in fair abundance during those winter months and they are not.

You can count on barracuda almost anytime. There are very few sport fish in the winter months, exceptions exist. Mackerel for example can be caught and so can some tuna species. Tuna is one of the hardest fighting fish pound for pound you can hook into. We have caught giant grouper in the winter trolling, but it is an exception to the norm.

• 1 month later...

What boat did you catch those on??? My husband would love to do that! I was going to book the ship excursion for him since he would be by himself, thus not able to charter a whole boat. Do you think the ship excursion would be great too? We will be on Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas.

Maggie

What boat did you catch those on??? My husband would love to do that! I was going to book the ship excursion for him since he would be by himself, thus not able to charter a whole boat. Do you think the ship excursion would be great too? We will be on Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas.

Maggie

You can get individual spaces from Cozumel Insider http://www.cozumelinsider.com or from Shore Trips http://www.shoretrips.com

Archived