Seavis or Dreams

lbfluffy

We are a party of 6. Five of us over 40 and one 18 year old. We are trying to decide which to choose of these two. We love all inclusive resorts but I read good things about Seavis. Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with Dreams, but a large group of us recently took a tour with Seavis and had a wonderful day- one of the best tours I can remember. They did an excellent job and I can highly recommend their company and guides. We had Cisco and loved him.

Their price was considerably less than the comparable ship tour that didn't include near as much.

There is a full review and lots of pictures included in my Carnival Freedom review- the link is in my signature.

I have not been to either but these were the 2 main choices we looked at for our June cruise.

After reading up on both on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor, we decided on Seavis.

The cost was about the same, but quite frankly, the deciding factor was the variety of activities on the Seavis tour that interested us.

The Dreams sounded very nice but it sounded like it's a place where you park your caboose on a lounge chair, which is what we would be doing all week on a cruise ship. And the Seavis tour allowed us to get to see some of the island on top of being able to snorkel and swim.

• 2 weeks later...

We're staying at the Dreams resort in Bayahibe next year and we will take at least 1 full day Seavis tour while there along with other excursions.

We just returned from 2 different experiences at Puerto Vallarta and we saw much of that surrounding area too.

I can't imagine sitting at a resort on a cruise stop and not seeing the natural beauty surrounding you...

Just did Seavis and had an absolutely fantastic time with Jose.

Definitely a 5 star rating although the Saona island beach where we were dropped off wasn't as nice as we expected, and the water was cloudy when snorkeling. But the service was great, rum was flowing and the starfish stop was excellent.

Hint for Dominican Republic (La Romana): you definitely need to have a planned excursion as there is literally nothing to do at the pier and doesn't seem like a safe place to go on your own.

Just did Seavis and had an absolutely fantastic time with Jose.

Definitely a 5 star rating although the Saona island beach where we were dropped off wasn't as nice as we expected, and the water was cloudy when snorkeling. But the service was great, rum was flowing and the starfish stop was excellent.

Hint for Dominican Republic (La Romana): you definitely need to have a planned excursion as there is literally nothing to do at the pier and doesn't seem like a safe place to go on your own.

Hi LuckyZ....I am curious about the boat situation with Seavis...is there a ladder to get in and out of the boat? Does the boat dock at Saona island or does it just pull up to the beach? Do you know if older people were on your tour and did they assist them if they needed help getting from the boat to the beach area?

Thanks for any info from anyone else as well.

You're in small we boats and you get in and out of the boat on the beach in both Bayahibe and on Saona. The only place you do this in the water is at the natural pool where it's not quite waist deep. But for most ppl it's easy, our friend just had shoulder surgery and was fine. The staff does an excellent job helping anyone with mobility issues.

Actually I must disagree with Lucky - the beach on Saona is gorgeous. Just a great day. The Carnival folks were down the beach a bit and didn't have the same experience. The buffet was also excellent.

Just a note, there are a couple other excursions in the La Romana area, but the Saona Island and Natural Pool is one of our favorite days. We're returning to the Dreams resort justba short stroll from Bayahibe for a 2 week stay and we will take the Seavis full day tour. Great outfit!

You're in small we boats and you get in and out of the boat on the beach in both Bayahibe and on Saona. The only place you do this in the water is at the natural pool where it's not quite waist deep. But for most ppl it's easy, our friend just had shoulder surgery and was fine. The staff does an excellent job helping anyone with mobility issues.

Actually I must disagree with Lucky - the beach on Saona is gorgeous. Just a great day. The Carnival folks were down the beach a bit and didn't have the same experience. The buffet was also excellent.

So you have to jump out of the boat in the water at the beach? and climb back into the boat? No ladder?

No, there is no need to jump. See the pics on the Seavis site - the boats are small and low to the water. You just step in or out. There is a short ladder for the sandbar, you may need there.

We had my inlaws who are in their late 60's with us. The boats actually get grounded on the sand and you just have to step out. No ladders necessary. But it is a big step, and there are guides standing there to help you out

When you stop for the star fish, there is a ladder to get back into the boat as you're about knee deep in water.

We were on the same tour with Lucky Z but we had the owners daughter Kirsten. The beach is nice, but we're from Florida, and thought the beach/swimming/snorkelling area could have been nicer. It was pretty rocky requiring shoes. My inlaws gave up on the snorkelling because of the rocks, then went to the roped off swimming area. There too it was rocky. And even as you got into the water, you'd either hit rocks, or these big cement blocks just all over the water. It wasn't very nice to swim in either.

We're just used to the AI's or even Carnival's Half Moon Cay where you dont need shoes, don't have to worry about rocks when you're snorkelling, etc. 2 in our party, with shoes on, were stung by sea urchins because you just couldn't see where you were standing in the water.

So, next time if we go back to La Romana, I'd probably choose Dreams and wouldn't do Seavis again. The older folks in our group just thought it was OK. If they would have had a nicer spot in the water, I think we would have felt different.

Just my 2 cents...

Shawn

Yes the staff on every boat is ecxellent and they do help you step into and out of the boat as it is beached. You enter/exit in the rear where there's a step of sorts.

There is a concrete pier at one end of the Saona bay you go to and that is where the snorkeling is. The clarity of the water is dependent on sea conditions that moment, of course, sorry you didn't have a great day. It was very good the day we were there according tofriends. We stayed in the beach area and never encountered any rocks. But they are typical for many of the beautiful beaches in the Carib. I was just saying the sand and water is very nice and I was surprised to read anything negative about that. The reviews are very good as well. But the staff is great, the tour fun as well as informative, and the food and drink were excellent. And spending a couple hours at Saona was very relaxing.

We look forward to our stay at Dreams next year, but we will explore more areas while there. Just a beautiful section of DR. People staying in Punta Cana have to come to Bayahibe to experience these excursions. It seems a shame that so many people choose to spend their entire day at a resort with so much beauty nearby...

Thanks to everyone for their information. I am sailing with my mom who will be 71 on our next cruise in April and when doing anything somewhat strenuous I worry because of her asthma. So I think as wonderful as everything looks and sounds ( I really want to see the starfish...lol) I think we will be passing on this excursion....I wish they pulled up to a dock...that would have been perfect...ah well, maybe Dreams.

Thanks again for all the inside scoop

Denise

Your mon would be fine with getting on and off the boat but I understand.

There's also a cat sail out of Caso de Campo, a private sail that's not too expensive if you can share with a group or invite other cruisers on your roll call. We almost booked it but ended up going with Seavis. This sail goes wherever you want.

There's also the Rio Chavon and Altos de Chavon Village, we plan to see these next visit.

If you do go to Dreams be sure to walk the beach (short stroll) to the town of Bayahibe or just to where the Seavis boats depart from. It's all right there.

Good luck and happy cruising!

• 1 month later...
I'm not familiar with Dreams, but a large group of us recently took a tour with Seavis and had a wonderful day- one of the best tours I can remember. They did an excellent job and I can highly recommend their company and guides. We had Cisco and loved him.

Their price was considerably less than the comparable ship tour that didn't include near as much.

Is it the Saona Crusoe VIP tour that you took? And was the transportation to/from the excursion included?

Is it the Saona Crusoe VIP tour that you took? And was the transportation to/from the excursion included?

No, they have a "Saona Special" excursion for cruisers -

http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/shoreexcursion_e.htm

Excellent day, the taxi drivers work with Seavis and you will meet them just off the dock. You pay $65 at the Seavis desk when you get dropped in Bayahibe (20 min taxi, nice ride), and you pay the return driver $15pp when you get back to the ship which covers both ways.

Can't recommend this one enough, you get an excellent buffet dinner on Saona (unbelievably good!), all the rum you can drink there and at the Natural Pool and the rum is of high quality. All of the Seavis staff are very nice and helpful so no worries about anything!

Thank you Blue Water. We aren't sailing until next March but on the ports that you need to have an excursion, I like to book really far ahead to be sure I'm on the excursion that I really want. I just sent them off a form. They will probably think I'm nuts for booking over 200 days out, but oh well. That's how I roll! :p

Thank you for the info and the review. Makes me excited for the day. I was starting to lean towards Dreams for the day, but I really would rather "do" something as opposed to just sit and drink all day. This sounds fabulous. :D

We just did this tour last week and it was one of the two highlights of our cruise. (The other being the Jeep Tour to the Natural Pool in Aruba.) This is something not to be missed.

The crew is there to help you get in and out of the boat. We thought Soana was beautiful, the water was clear, there were some rocks but you didn't have to wear water shoes....Snorleling was awesome. Of course the highlight was the starfish. Kirsten and her dog Zion were out tour guides.

Don't miss it!!!

I know many folks on our roll calls who have been to La Romana multipe times say they always go to Dreams (or stay on the ship:rolleyes:). They say it's a "bad" area and there's nothing to see :p. We like to explore new places and this place is beautiful and this outfit takes care of you so you did make the right choice. The Carnival excursion pales in comparison to the Seavis option too.

It's so nice around Bayahibe thar we're returning to spend 2 weeks at Dreams. But we'll also be taking a couple of their full-day excursions then too.

Take care and look forward to your cruise!

The Carnival excursion pales in comparison to the Seavis option too.

I sent that form off to Seavis last night and received a confirmation with a voucher from Ingrid today. She gave me a full description of the tour and what it included and information about the transportation too. I'm so happy to have this one booked.

Thank you everyone for all your information that you gave me last night. I appreciate it more than you know. Anytime I am at a new port it's a little daunting until I find my way around so to speak. I know finding something in Aruba and Curacao will be easy to do. And Grand Turk will likely be just a beach day. Not a whole lot else to do there. This is going to be a super cruise!

Archived