HAL Eurodam Crew Will Be In Music Heaven!!

hattack

It has been my personal experience that the ship's crew enjoy the change of pace when their ship is chartered for a week for a music theme cruise (well maybe the Kid Rock charter might be a different pace...lol)..the ebb/flow workflow of the public contact staff is based upon concert times which actually makes it easier to manage their workload as opposed to a normal cruise. Most of the international crew are huge music fans and enjoy the energy that the music generates between artists and fans..the crew of the Eurodam must be really excited when they look at their upcoming charters:

Nov 3-10 Malt Shop Memories Cruise (50's -60's oldies &doowop)

Jan 12-19 Smooth Jazz Cruise

Jan 19-26 Country Music Cruise

Jan 26-Feb 2 The Jazz Cruise (straight ahead)

Feb 23-Mar 2 Soul Train Cruise (hit tv music show )

If you are flying in/out of Ft Lauderdale airport for your regular cruise during those weeks you will see alot of happy cruisers going to Ft. Lauderdale and happy but very tired cruisers going home wearing very colorful teeshirts with the names of the performing artists on the back and if you are in ports of call during the week we will be easy to spot

• 4 weeks later...

I just registered for my first themed cruise and it will also be my first on Holland America. My DH and I are looking forward to seeing all the talent on the Jazz cruise in January. I made a roll call for this cruise in case any other cruisers want to join and maybe do a meet and greet.

Now to research all about the ship. I sure love to plan a cruise. :D

You are going to LOVE your first straight ahead Jazz Cruise!!!!! You will be immersed for a week of great music, great friends and jazz related activities...The Eurodam is well suited to host the music venues...You will also discover that the majority of your fellow jazz cruisers go on this cruise every year and will welcome you with open arms...You will have ample opportunities to interact with the artists

Looking forward to your review of this cruise...I bet you will never go on a "normal" cruise again

• 2 weeks later...

We have never been on a theme cruise before so I'm really excited about it and to see how it's different than the normal cruise. My DH will be glad to hear about the interaction with the artists as he's the jazz guy. I'm in it for the cruise.

Can you tell me if all the other aspects of the HAL cruise remains, as far as the attire and such? I wasn't sure if since it's full ship charter (I think that's what it's called) if there would be any changes to be aware of.

Big difference...you should be receiving information from ECP (the promoter) regarding theme nights, dress and a daily schedule of activities...normally, when you are in port, it's the "normal" ship sponsored shore excursions...there may be special tours based upon the artists interest or passion...every evening and on sea days all of the activities are based around the music and the artists including concerts, workshops, Q&A with the artists, jam sessions, etc....your assigned dinner time will determine what time you will attend a main show...

There are alot of unscheduled collaberations every evening as the musicians love to sit in unannounced with each other and you will experience unusual combination of artists that make your cruise....your husband will be in 7th heaven and immersed in jazz...the best part is that you will enjoy the company of 1800 like minded jazz fans and you will make friends for life

Have fun and bring a good camera with a lens and takes pics in a low light (no flash) and bring album or cd covers to be signed by the artists

Great info. Thanks for sharing. Half the fun of a vacation is the planning and I'm used to being able to do it all on the cruise lines' sites. Knowing this is a somewhat different situation, I didn't know what to expect.

Yup, he will be in 7th heaven for sure. He went to band camp with one of the artists so that will be a great reunion for him as well. Hadn't thought about the camera with low light so I'll have to make sure to bring one that works well, and bringing the album/cd covers. I'll mention that to him.

Thanks again.

If you don't have your booking number double check with the Jazz Cruise staff when it will be sent to you so you can book your ship sponsored shore excursions. You will have your daily artists performance schedule well in advance so you can plan out each day

By design, in the evening there will be multiple performances spread out over several venues so understand that you cannot see everything but you can see alittle bit of everything

Would suggest checking the roll call on this board so you can connect with fellow cruisers prior to your cruise..perhaps you can have dinner the night before and since many of them have been on this cruise before, they can walk you thru the ropes...if you are flying into FLL look for the colorful Jazz Cruise teeshirt in the boarding area for your flight to make new friends

If you have a tablet make sure you bring it with you with the connection piece to upload your daily pictures plus you can upload pics that you missed that your new friends have taken

Make sure you meet Alonzo Bolden (comedian )..he is a treasure

The booking number comes abt 6 weeks before the cruise, which I hate because planning on HAL site is limited. my DH will probably pick the performances since it's his thing. I actually started the Roll Call but I'm the only one so far. I posted on the Jazz Cruise 2014's website that the roll call is there so I'm hoping it will attract some attention. I mentioned the cd/album suggestion and DH already thought of that. I'm working on the camera suggestion. I like my camera but my cell takes better resolution pics sometimes. We'll see. We never travel without our tablets/laptops (not sure if that's good or bad).

We're not flying in but driving in from ATL. I'm hoping that the Roll calls will help to facilitate a meet and greet the evening before. We'll see.

Thank you again for all your tips. If you have more, they will be appreciated greatly.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm booked on the straight ahead jazz cruise also and I've been reading all of hattack's and AZGreg's (I think that's right?) posts on the subject that I can find. I'm beyond excited.... except I have no idea who I'm going with yet. My first cruise partner bowed out due to money. Then I started dating a fellow who also loves jazz and decided to go with me.... until we ended the relationship. Now I may be stuck with... my mother. She's awesome, but she's not a jazz aficionado by any measure and so I fear I'll essentially be stuck doing things solo. So, any thoughts on the solo jazz lover on the cruise? Without any kind of group with which to hang, I'm not sure what my experience will be - it seems like most folks come in pairs or groups...

Aside from that, I'm curious if you have any tips as an experienced jazz cruise participant? I've cruised before, but nothing like this!

Despite the somewhat in-flux state of my travel plans, I'm so looking forward to this!

Thanks!

I have to say that my DH prefers this type of jazz, I prefer smooth jazz. I anticipate that I may not want to join in with all the performances my hubby will go to. I purposely booked a balcony cabin so I could head there if I needed a break from the music. Though who knows, I may be a convert. It's possible your mother and I can find a common interest and hang out. I'm thinking there may be more in the same situation. Who knows, we may find others that feel the same way if they post on the roll call thread.

I bet your Mom will fool you and have a great time ...The Jazz Cruise is unique in respect it is a music "gumbo", so you will be able to "sample" alittle bit of every style (big band, beebop, fusion, straight ahead, smooth , show tunes etc.) every night so you can move from venue to venue...you will also be treated to impromptu jam sessions of jazz arists of different styles collaberating that you would never think of...full days at sea will have workshops, meet the artists etc...unlike a regular cruise, most folks spend very little time in their cabins

Because the music is the common bond, you will find it very easy to make new friends...be very open about sharing that this is your first jazz cruise and you will be "adopted" by the veterans...at dinner look for the tables that seat 8 and ask to join them and rotate tables every night...by design at night there are multiple music venues so your Mom will want to do different venues then you

You will quickly figure out that you are Blessed to be with world class artists who love the fact that you support them and want to spend time with them..by the end of the cruise you and your Mom will be making plans with your new friends to return next year...on your full days at sea, there will be lots of workshops and interactions with the artists...great time to meet your fellow cruisers...make friends and arrange to share pics of concerts and activities that you cannot fit into your schedule

Make sure you schedule down time before dinner everyday because you will be up very late every night immersed in your surrounding...pace yourself and it's ok not to try to do everything your first jazz cruise....

The Jazz Cruise (or any full charter music cruise) is about connecting with your fellow cruisers and transporting everyone back to a time where your deepest memory remind you of a happier time..Watch the facial expression on your Mom's face, when she hears a song that reminds her of a special night when she was your age

Archived