Scooters in Key West

epatton

The tram driver told us when we were there that the Police are very serious and you could get a ticket for drinking while driving EVEN ON A BIKE. So, don't take your beer bottles with you while driving your bike! We saw several and she said -- "I hope they don't get caught, there are hefty fines"

The tram driver told us when we were there that the Police are very serious and you could get a ticket for drinking while driving EVEN ON A BIKE. So, don't take your beer bottles with you while driving your bike! We saw several and she said -- "I hope they don't get caught, there are hefty fines"

Nope, going first thing in the morning. Turning them in and doing the pub crawl in the afternoon.

Just he very aware of your surroundings. While you may be vigilant, others may not be. When we were in KW in November, we watched two couples stop their bikes at the stop light and the guy who was coming up behind them didn't even notice and ran into the back tire of one of the bikes. He flipped over and the bike landed on top of his leg. He was bleeding from scratches and cuts on his arms and had burns on his leg from the engine, but he was OK. He must have been drinking quite a bit from the way he was acting, but he got up and got back on the bike and took off. He's lucky he didn't land on his head. I keep replaying all of the helmet commercials that I've seen throughout my life in my head while we walked back to Mallory Square. They really should require people to wear helmets when they rent.

We were crossing on the crosswalk in front of the bikes when this happened. He almost landed on a couple of pedestrians. Locals who were working in the shops on either side of the street just shrugged and went back to work. Something tells me that they see that sort of thing a lot.

Injuries with tourists on scooters are far too common.

Key West is a very congested place with lots of people driving that are unfamiliar with the area and many are drinking which makes for a bad combination.

If you do it, please be very careful!

Mike:)

I'll reflect Mike's advice of being very careful. I am a former police officer here and I can tell you, scooter collisions are very common.....and they almost always involve tourists on the scooters, not locals. That's because locals are goal oriented, and tourists spend a lot of time looking around, rather than the road ahead. Key West is notorious for obstructed views at the intersections due to tight streets. You really have to be observant when driving.

I recommend renting an electric car instead.

I am experienced riding a scooter here at home but I wouldn't rent on in Key West.....way too many people and too much traffic. If you want a way to get around without walking then I would rent an electric car from Sunshine Scooters. We have rented electric cars three times during our port of call stops in Key West

Key West is a fairly small island and you can walk to most places. If you don't want to walk on Duval St. then walk along Simonton or Whitehead St. Both are less congested and scenic.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived