MSC - not impressed so far - will it improve?

hgl279

Hi all

Four weeks ago I booked a last minute cruise for my folks, my sister-in-law, 4 year old nephew and myself on the Preziosa - leaving Genoa on 2 June, for a week. And I am regreting it already!!

Having previously cruised with Cunard, P&O and Princess, so far the experience has not lived up to the other companies. The idea of everyone travelling together having to buy the Allegrissamo drinks package is daft - I agree that everyone sharing a cabin should, but I emailed Admin to see if they would allow us three to purchase it, but my parents buy a soda package as they dont drink - the answer was NO, a little inflexible I feel.

I find the website less than helpful, I have received no information about how many formal nights etc there will be and indeed I only found out this week that we fly into NICE, France but out of MILAN to get back.

This creates a problem as I wanted to use a "meet and greet service" at Heathrow. But we fly from Terminal one and back into Terminal Five! I have just called MSC and they say I need to call back tomorrow, but there is nothing they are likely to be able to do.

It's going to cause difficulty as with my disabled father and a four year old in tow this is the last thing we need to be doing!

Does anyone know, can you travel quickly and easily from one terminal to another - does it cost anything? Or do you think I should just park at a park and ride which might service all 5 terminals?

Any advice would be much appreciated, kind regards Heidi

I agree the website is dreadful - there is an entire thread on the subject of it's shortcomings.

They won't budge on the Allegrissimo package. You wither all buy or none of you do. It's the rules of the scheme and is to prevent people getting drinks for family and friends who have not paid for the all inclusive deal.

There is no cost involved in changing terminals at Heathrow. There are coach services between terminals. As you are travelling with a family member with a disability, why not book passenger assistance for him. They'll take the strain out of changing terminal buildings (though not sure why you have to get back to the same terminal you left from unless it's where you are going to be parking).

It's not unusual for them to use both Nice and Milan for Genoa departures. Coach transfer is a similar time. The only other thing I can suggest (if it's not too late) is to book your own flights from Gatwick to Genoa.

If you're talking about travelling between terminal 1 and 5 at Heathrow then the Heathrow Express will allow you to travel free. Exactly what we did coming back from San Francisco to get our connecting flight.

If your meet and greet is booked for a different terminal just contact them and explain its been changed. They should be fine with that.

An alternative would be to book the drinks package onboard for those who want it assuming it is available and let those who want the soda package book theirs seperate again onboard.

Travelling between terminals is not a problem at Heathrow. You just have to factor in the time. A meet and greet just needs to be told which terminal you are arriving at and should be able to give you instructions.

I am giving you this information after travelling between terminals twice last autumn - I researched it because I was worried that I would get lost. I only needed to follow the signs. The airport is designed with getting between terminals in mind.

Saying that I agree that letting them know ahead of time that you need assistance could make a big difference. They really do like to help passengers.

When using a meet and greet service at Heathrow (Official BAA service) in 2011 there was no problem with using different terminals.

We just dropped the car off at one terminal (terminal 3 for Air Canada) and informed them we would be returning to a different terminal (terminal 1 for Icelandair) and the car was awaiting at the correct terminal on our return.

I sure other provides will do likewise.

NO PROBLEM !!

Pete

Hi all

Four weeks ago I booked a last minute cruise for my folks, my sister-in-law, 4 year old nephew and myself on the Preziosa - leaving Genoa on 2 June, for a week. And I am regreting it already!!

Having previously cruised with Cunard, P&O and Princess, so far the experience has not lived up to the other companies. The idea of everyone travelling together having to buy the Allegrissamo drinks package is daft - I agree that everyone sharing a cabin should, but I emailed Admin to see if they would allow us three to purchase it, but my parents buy a soda package as they dont drink - the answer was NO, a little inflexible I feel.

I find the website less than helpful, I have received no information about how many formal nights etc there will be and indeed I only found out this week that we fly into NICE, France but out of MILAN to get back.

This creates a problem as I wanted to use a "meet and greet service" at Heathrow. But we fly from Terminal one and back into Terminal Five! I have just called MSC and they say I need to call back tomorrow, but there is nothing they are likely to be able to do.

It's going to cause difficulty as with my disabled father and a four year old in tow this is the last thing we need to be doing!

Does anyone know, can you travel quickly and easily from one terminal to another - does it cost anything? Or do you think I should just park at a park and ride which might service all 5 terminals?

Any advice would be much appreciated, kind regards Heidi

Heidi, I have an old book on the shelf in front of me with the attractive title of "How to make life easy for yourself". You could do with this now.

1) Inform your meet and greet people your outbound and inbound flight details. Don't even think about changing terminals yourself.

2) Pre-book airport assistance via the airline(s) for your disabled father. All stick together as one party and you will sail through check-in and security. Life at the airport becomes a breeze.

3) Leave the Allegrissimo until on board. You will find that the hard rule-based attitude of the UK office is replaced by something far more flexible and accommodating on board.

4) My biggest concern is that Cunard, P&O and Princess have far more in common with each other than any of them do with MSC. Please do your research here on Cruise Critics. There is a lot to learn to be able to get the most out of this simultaneously very Italian and very multi-cultural line.

5) Go with the flow. Not everything will turn out exactly as you wish but if you are happy to accept what comes along regardless and don't fight it, it will be easier and more enjoyable for all concerned. One has to adopt a certain attitude to make the most of MSC.

Best of luck,

Tim.

LOTS of helpful hints thanks guys - I will call the meet and greet people first thing as I think you are right it would be easier, and I will also book dad in for assistance - like you said Tim, Just going with the flow is probably best.

Thank you everyone, best regards

Heidi

Heidi, I have an old book on the shelf in front of me with the attractive title of "How to make life easy for yourself". You could do with this now.

1) Inform your meet and greet people your outbound and inbound flight details. Don't even think about changing terminals yourself.

2) Pre-book airport assistance via the airline(s) for your disabled father. All stick together as one party and you will sail through check-in and security. Life at the airport becomes a breeze.

3) Leave the Allegrissimo until on board. You will find that the hard rule-based attitude of the UK office is replaced by something far more flexible and accommodating on board.

4) My biggest concern is that Cunard, P&O and Princess have far more in common with each other than any of them do with MSC. Please do your research here on Cruise Critics. There is a lot to learn to be able to get the most out of this simultaneously very Italian and very multi-cultural line.

5) Go with the flow. Not everything will turn out exactly as you wish but if you are happy to accept what comes along regardless and don't fight it, it will be easier and more enjoyable for all concerned. One has to adopt a certain attitude to make the most of MSC.

Best of luck

Tim.

I NEED THAT BOOK!!!!!! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I NEED THAT BOOK!!!!!! LOL

Also from Awesomebooks priced at £2.49 with free p&p.

Chapter titles are:

Planning

House

Clothes

Work

Garden

Finance

Travel

Social

Emergency and

Skill Test

A cruise-specific update would probably sell well.

Archived