On Grandeur now..

Grandeur of the seas fire and now a train derailment with explosion that shook houses several miles away. Baltimore is getting national attention this week.

Oh my! I just turned on the TV and saw the coverage of the derailment. First the Grandeur and now the train.

They are fully insured insurance will cover loss revenues also
Not according to their 2012 Annual Report ...

We do not carry business interruption insurance for our ships based on our evaluation of the risks involved and protective measures already in place, as compared to the cost of insurance. We carry business interruption insurance for certain of our shoreside operations.

With that said, much better service than what was provided by Carnival related to their 2 incidents of late.

Is it not possible to simply say, "I think Royal Caribbean is doing a great job getting passengers back to their port of embarkation?"

I would certainly be interested to learn the objective criteria, if any, used to compare performance as the logistics Carnival faced getting 3,600 people home from St Maarten were quite different from what Royal Caribbean faces getting 2,400 people home from Freeport.

I think I will continue to keet "small LED flashlight" on my must pack list.

Thanks for keeping us informed. Have a safe flight and enjoy the rest of your modified vacation.

If you have a smart phone, the flashlight app is great to have.

If you have a smart phone, the flashlight app is great to have.

Yes but you are at the mercy of your smart phone batteries. The keychain LED light I bought in 2007 for our first RCI cruise still works.

Not according to their 2012 Annual Report ...

We do not carry business interruption insurance for our ships based on our evaluation of the risks involved and protective measures already in place, as compared to the cost of insurance. We carry business interruption insurance for certain of our shoreside operations.

Which means they "self insure" which is not uncommon with large businesses.

Sharon

Act, I was actually thinking "Poor Adam, suit and tie" in and out of A/C. Certainly professional is in the eye of the beholder, but in the Bahamas probably quite a few corporate employees are a bit more casual. And I wouldn't fault any of the engineers for wearing comfy attire and safe shoes.

Not alarming, but certainly unprofessional.

What seemed alarming to me was a perceived trend among management (especially at another cruiseline) to dress very casually while at work. Nice to see RCI in business attire, even in the Bahamas.

ps. The managers at the other line have been weeded out and no longer work for the company.

15 car train derailment in Baltimore - plumes of heavy black smoke - it's a real mess, diverting traffic, as roads are closed, etc. Bet our incoming from Freeport GRANDEUR flyers could/can see it. Don't know if CNN picked up the story?

Act, I was actually thinking "Poor Adam, suit and tie" in and out of A/C. Certainly professional is in the eye of the beholder, but in the Bahamas probably quite a few corporate employees are a bit more casual. And I wouldn't fault any of the engineers for wearing comfy attire and safe shoes.

Having cruised to The Bahamas many times I can assure you that the professional business people there dress very well despite the warm/humid climate. Suits with ties are the norm for men and women are also in nice business attire.

Not alarming, but certainly unprofessional.

What seemed alarming to me was a perceived trend among management (especially at another cruiseline) to dress very casually while at work. Nice to see RCI in business attire, even in the Bahamas.

ps. The managers at the other line have been weeded out and no longer work for the company.

I actually think it would have been very appropriate to be in more casual attire than a suit. Regardless of his position, the CEO was about to board a ship that had been through a crisis. In addition to visiting with passengers, there were pictures of Mr. Fain inspecting the fire damage...a wet, sooty mess!

You can be neat, clean, and situation appropriate without wearing a suit and tie.

15 car train derailment in Baltimore - plumes of heavy black smoke - it's a real mess' date=' diverting traffic, as roads are closed, etc. Bet our incoming from Freeport GRANDEUR flyers could/can see it. Don't know if CNN picked up the story?[/quote']

It's all over the news here in Maryland.

Glad to hear everyone is safe, this really could have been so much worse.

This got me thinking though, when someone said what about people without passports....

What about people like me that don't fly? This is why I do a round trip cruise out of Jersey, so I don't have to get on a plane. I'm terrified to fly, and I haven't in years. I wonder what I would do in that situation. :confused:

Im not positive which incidence this was but I remember Carnival making arrangements for a NCL ship to take people who don't fly home. I know this because I don't fly either and cruise often.

Is it not possible to simply say, "I think Royal Caribbean is doing a great job getting passengers back to their port of embarkation?"

I would certainly be interested to learn the objective criteria, if any, used to compare performance as the logistics Carnival faced getting 3,600 people home from St Maarten were quite different from what Royal Caribbean faces getting 2,400 people home from Freeport.

Could have said that too. I have worked in the transit industry for almost 40 years, with a degree in urban planning. I deal with moving large numbers of people in a hurry, so my view of what is happening is based upon the numbers that I see...and what I see is a substantially higher number of passengers being moved per hour.

The logistics between these moves is really not that much different. Flight times are similar. It was really unfair of me to put the Triumph in as part of the example, as the circumstances were completely different than the others, but once those shuttle moves were underway it was noticeably more efficient (yet costly) today. I don't know the problems Carnival might have had getting aircraft and crews, or elected to use less aircraft, but looking at the numbers today it appears RCCL wanted everyone out of Freeport within 24 hours.

I was hopeful the local news would have covered the BWI returning GRANDEUR pax, but that derailment is, as you say, "overkill"....how many times can they say the same thing..... fortunately, we can also pick up the Philly stations.....

Could have said that too. I have worked in the transit industry for almost 40 years, with a degree in urban planning. I deal with moving large numbers of people in a hurry, so my view of what is happening is based upon the numbers that I see...and what I see is a substantially higher number of passengers being moved per hour.

The logistics between these moves is really not that much different. Flight times are similar. It was really unfair of me to put the Triumph in as part of the example, as the circumstances were completely different than the others, but once those shuttle moves were underway it was noticeably more efficient (yet costly) today. I don't know the problems Carnival might have had getting aircraft and crews, or elected to use less aircraft, but looking at the numbers today it appears RCCL wanted everyone out of Freeport within 24 hours.

Remember, Carnival allowed Dream pax to fly out of St Martin over three days, as they could remain on the ship for the duration. So they did not need to hustle everyone out on the same day. I recall seeing 4-5 planes shuttling back and forth all weekend.

The math is, if one leaves the country once using the passport, cost for that trip is $135 more than traveling without the passport.

I'm not arguing either way. Personally, I always travel with my passport. However, the law & regulation permit people on close loop cruises to travel without a passport, using BC & government issued photo ID instead. Since the vast majority of Americans have both those documents the cost added to the cruise is $0.

With respect to emergencies, for the most part I agree. A passport makes things much simpler. However, an American citizen I believe will always be able to re-enter the United States. The only question is how much extra time and paperwork will be required should one not have a passport when arriving by air.

Has anyone here ever made the argument that not having a passport would preclude an American from ever coming home? The issue of not having a passport is the possible hassle factor not that a citizen could never re-enter the country.

johneeo - When I first saw the pic I was going to comment 'The guilty party'? Joking of course.

Bobal - I took it as a female too.

That was a private picture sent by a crew member to a member of CC with whom s/he is friends. The CC member posted it here on CC before any other pictures became available.

I am 99% certain that crew member in the photo is Lynn, a member of the cruise director staff. We just got off Grandeur less than 3 weeks ago and, I have to say, she is one of the best crew members we have ever been in contact with. She has been on the ship for less than a month as of today. She is a very bouncy and happy and a wear-your-emotions-on-your-sleeve kinda person. I would venture to say that the pic was taken just after she had the opportunity to see the damage for herself and she is honestly distraught at what she saw. :(

I studied that pix a little better and believe you have ID it correctly - first glance, I thought it was a guy, but closer look, it's easy to tell it's a girl with a ponytail and you can easily see the shape is definitely female. I am sorry for everyone affected by this tragedy -it's far reaching.

Wonder how long it's going to take to hear The Cause of the Fire?

https://twitter.com/RoyalCaribPR/status/339093608307228672/photo/1

Is that Captain Hernan Zini to the left of Captain Espen? He's now based in Miami, reportedly either in the exact role that Captain Bill was or a similar one. He was Master of Grandeur years ago, so I would guess he'd have a special interest.

I am in Delaware and our local Philly station has a reported at the harbor to interview the returning passengers.

I have cruised 13 times 14 coming in October but on the Jewel and i cannot imagine what those passengers went through as I have not encountered any accidents at sea.

I am saluting the staff on the GOS for the proffessionalism that they showed towards all on the ship.

Michele

Archived