On Grandeur now..

glad to hear everyone is ok! I called RCI today, they said future cruise decisions will be made by the end of the week. If we get a cancellation and refund we will find another ship, close to that date, leaving out of NY or NJ.

Coast guard plane was circling us and Carnival Sensation was called to stand by. We could see it lit up in the distance. This was scary. The crew was serious. Crew was running wigh fire hoses and it took 2 hours to actually put out the fire. I heard it was in deck 3 after mooring room...all those ropes. On a happy note my toilet is flushing even better than before! We update if possible

I'd hope, that in your situation, I'd have as great an attitude as you:)

Glad your toilet is/was still flushing and that you make it home safely.

Really cannot wait to read your review when you do get hom,e as I am so 100% sure that it will be good and filled with more humor than anger:)

Joanie

I was just curious. Who is paying to rebook all of the flights for current and future Grandeur passengers? Travel insurance?

It can cost $200/ticket to change a flight.

The cruiseline said it would refund any change fees people incurred, they just have to submit a receipt.

I am 99% certain that crew member in the photo is Lynn, a member of the cruise director staff. We just got off Grandeur less than 3 weeks ago and, I have to say, she is one of the best crew members we have ever been in contact with. She has been on the ship for less than a month as of today. She is a very bouncy and happy and a wear-your-emotions-on-your-sleeve kinda person. I would venture to say that the pic was taken just after she had the opportunity to see the damage for herself and she is honestly distraught at what she saw. :(

I have a photo and video collection from my April 24 repositioning sailing. "Lynn from Maryland" actually first boarded the ship April 21 in Panama I believe, before it head to San Juan. She is one of the best crew members that is for sure. I told her she will be be a cruise director one day. She said she would be glad to see all her hard work pay off.

I have to scan my photos- I took one with her after I won the table tennis tournament and she was hosting it for the first time.

Maybe my pics will give a clue if that is her in the photo you describe but I would not doubt it.

A ship catches fire. The CEO of the company makes his way to the ship to assess the situation and see what needs to be done. And people worry about what he is wearing. :confused:

eggggzactly.

i was wondering the same thing.

"A ship catches fire. The CEO of the company makes his way to the ship to assess the situation and see what needs to be done. And people worry about what he is wearing. "

I know, right? Who CARES what he's wearing... he was there within hours!

OMG - why would she loose her job!

I'll try to explain my comment. One of the first things we are taught in crisis or accident management is that one person is to be the spokesperson for the company. But in this day of cell phone cameras and social media, everyone is a reporter.

My thought was that the company probably didn't appreciate the photo, heartfelt or not, especially done by a crew member. But that's just my opinion based on my corporate training.

Another pic of the damage

BLSfYvmCAAE0mgA.jpg:large

First time posting a pic here but this is me with Lynn. She (jokingly) doesn't care to have photos taken before evening but I did it anyway lol- got her bare legs in it as a result. Had to take a crop but resolution should be fine with the D800 I used- unless CC downsizes. The legs are a match imo. The rest would fit too. Never thought I would see this...

Lynn.jpg.d17ebbabc82e679d0be49d257b9c91fc.jpg

I'll try to explain my comment. One of the first things we are taught in crisis or accident management is that one person is to be the spokesperson for the company. But in this day of cell phone cameras and social media, everyone is a reporter.

My thought was that the company probably didn't appreciate the photo, heartfelt or not, especially done by a crew member. But that's just my opinion based on my corporate training.

If it is Lynn and that were to happen, there would be hell directed at the CEO and RCL. I think the photo is great actually.

I was on the repo cruise and took this picture of Lynn at the Meet and Mingle. She is an excellent employee. I am sure she was very upset when she saw the damage. [if it is her]

P4270123_zps3c26c3e2.jpg

There is no way I can tell that the other picture is her.

Was on the same cruise. Check my photo on the same page. Cruise Critic really downsizes these thing but you can get the idea. The legs are a match. I have other photos and videos but this one can give comparisons where needed.

I find it very strange the attitude of US citizens about passports, you could not leave the UK by any means to travel outside our borders without one.

Dont forget the size difference between the 2 countries. Same as between the UK and Australia.

For cruises that are classed as 'domestic' cruises, you dont need a passport. Our first cruise was a cruise to nowhere, so no ports of call, just Sydney and back into Sydney 3 nights later. Didnt need a passport. Our second cruise was also a domestic cruise, Sydney - Melbourne - Hobart - Sydney. Again, didnt need a passport.

Next cruise however is an international one, so yes we now have passports. I'm lucky in that I hold dual citizenship, UK and Australia.

First time posting a pic here but this is me with Lynn. She (jokingly) doesn't care to have photos taken before evening but I did it anyway lol- got her bare legs in it as a result. Had to take a crop but resolution should be fine with the D800 I used- unless CC downsizes. The legs are a match imo. The rest would fit too. Never thought I would see this...

I was wondering if that was Lynn! We got a kick out of her--anyone who can make BINGO exciting is cool in my book. :)

Dont forget the size difference between the 2 countries. Same as between the UK and Australia.

For cruises that are classed as 'domestic' cruises, you dont need a passport. Our first cruise was a cruise to nowhere, so no ports of call, just Sydney and back into Sydney 3 nights later. Didnt need a passport. Our second cruise was also a domestic cruise, Sydney - Melbourne - Hobart - Sydney. Again, didnt need a passport.

Next cruise however is an international one, so yes we now have passports. I'm lucky in that I hold dual citizenship, UK and Australia.

I think it's also a regional thing. I live in No VA, the DC metro area. Pretty much everyone I know has a passport and most have been out of the country. I've had one for 30+ years. DH has too. We have two sons and one has one but the other doesn't. The one who doesn't just hasn't had a reason to get one, but he will when he does. I think 90% of the people I know have traveled outside of the country. In some places in the US, the numbers are probably less than 10%.

I have no idea what RC thinks of that picture, and I have zero corporate or PR training, but I took it the opposite of you, honestly. I understand the concept of putting on a brave, professional, everything is fine image, but this picture to me showed a glimpse of what I think was missing in the various Carnival disasters - it shows visibly that the crew cares (and Royal Caribbean as well, by extension), that the crew and cruise line feel for the passengers, understand how upsetting it was...

I think it would be ridiculous if this crew member gets any bad fall out from having a human moment.

Was on the same cruise. Check my photo on the same page. Cruise Critic really downsizes these thing but you can get the idea. The legs are a match. I have other photos and videos but this one can give comparisons where needed.

So.... did you happen to get any pictures of the guys in the crew in shorts? ;)

I have no idea what RC thinks of that picture, and I have zero corporate or PR training, but I took it the opposite of you, honestly. I understand the concept of putting on a brave, professional, everything is fine image, but this picture to me showed a glimpse of what I think was missing in the various Carnival disasters - it shows visibly that the crew cares (and Royal Caribbean as well, by extension), that the crew and cruise line feel for the passengers, understand how upsetting it was...

I think it would be ridiculous if this crew member gets any bad fall out from having a human moment.

From what I've read about the Triumph incident, the crew was outstanding. Did you see otherwise?

Archived