Very late review of 2012 med cruise on adventure of the seas

I never thought snorkeling gear could take up so much space and weight.

Stef,

Snorkeling gear? I hadn't even considered packing that! Are there good places to snorkel? I may have to make more room in my suitcase!

Joanne

Stef,

Snorkeling gear? I hadn't even considered packing that! Are there good places to snorkel? I may have to make more room in my suitcase!

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

well, I guess the snorkeling won't be phenomenal (the Maldives are our ultimate dream), but Tanja and I just started snorkeling in Rhodes, Greece last year and just LOVED it. Then I was bummed not to have had the snorkeling stuff with me in Ajaccio and so this time we'll drag it with us:). We take two sets of snorkels and fins (are they called that? Those things for the feet?) Tarik never snorkeled before...so him and Tanja can take turns...hehe, I get to snorkel the whole time (different feet size:D). I found a nice spot at our La Spezia stop and a pretty cool looking spot in Dubrovnik. So up to now, these will be the only times we try out the snorkels...but you never know.

Stef

Hi Joanne,

well, I guess the snorkeling won't be phenomenal (the Maldives are our ultimate dream), but Tanja and I just started snorkeling in Rhodes, Greece last year and just LOVED it. Then I was bummed not to have had the snorkeling stuff with me in Ajaccio and so this time we'll drag it with us:). We take two sets of snorkels and fins (are they called that? Those things for the feet?) Tarik never snorkeled before...so him and Tanja can take turns...hehe, I get to snorkel the whole time (different feet size:D). I found a nice spot at our La Spezia stop and a pretty cool looking spot in Dubrovnik. So up to now, these will be the only times we try out the snorkels...but you never know.

Stef

I refuse to carry Liam's around with us so just buy some new stuff each time he wants to do it!! :o:eek: And then leave it all behind!! :eek: Bad parent!!

On another note when are you going to start the review for the Serenade? Are you going to do it 'live' while we're on board or compile it all and post after we return?

when are you going to start the review for the Serenade? Are you going to do it 'live' while we're on board or compile it all and post after we return?

Hi Carol,

no way I'm doing it live. While on vacation I want to enjoy to the max and not type anything. I will do it all after the trip. So I can relive it all again:D! I will try to be as thorough as possible though...with packing and pre cruise stuff and all:cool:. And since we'll have THREE cameras with us --- tons of pictures!!!

Stef

Hi Carol,

no way I'm doing it live. While on vacation I want to enjoy to the max and not type anything. I will do it all after the trip. So I can relive it all again:D! I will try to be as thorough as possible though...with packing and pre cruise stuff and all:cool:. And since we'll have THREE cameras with us --- tons of pictures!!!

Stef

Fabulous!!

And we can all re-live it with you!! :p

Better behave if there's going to be 3 cameras!!

Carol

Fabulous!!

Better behave if there's going to be 3 cameras!!

Carol

naaahhh, just like Joanne said -- it'll be much more fun if you don't:D.

I borrowed my mom's camera, Tanja will take our old one and Tarik got his own last x-mas. We've got a contest going -- he or she who gets the best holiday shot wins a prize --- we're not sure on what that will be yet, but it'll be fun anyway. My parents will be the judges afterwards without knowing which camera took which photo:).

Stef

Yeehaaa, I'm a happy girl...found not one...but two pairs of new shoes (regular high heels -- real basic --- I love it) and a HOT new formal dress! Can't wait to wear it! No more chocolate till the cruise -- or I won't fit into it:rolleyes:.

Only 9 more days till we fly to Barcelona!!!!!!! Single digit number --- whoohoo:D!

Tanja's got a new black suit. She just looks better in suits than in formal dresses. She does have some summer dresses, but hardly ever wears them. What is it about women in suits -- is it just me who thinks they look sexyer than men wearing the same stuff? Well -- I guess it really IS just me:D.

Stef

:DThis time next week we'll be on our way to the airport!:D

all emergency meds packed, last clothes in the washer today, luggage tags printed and ready to go...only 3 1/2 days of work left to go!

The pre cruise excitement alone is so much fun --- can't wait for the real thing to start!!!!!

Stef

Aargh,

only 5 days to go and now Tanja's backpack ripped. I washed it (real slow pampering program:() in the washer. It's not fixable. Need a new one. Crap, don't want to go shopping this weekend, but have no choice now.

:)Only one and a half more days of work! COUNTDOWN!!!!!!

Stef

Hah, no more work (just two more dogs ordered to check in on Monday:)).

Backpack problem solved... new one bought today.

Packing takes an unexpected turn- I still have a lot of free weight left to go --- but no more space:eek:. And here I thought the 23 kg of weight would be the limiting fact. I could easily cram another 8 kg in my suitcase---but then there would be no way in hell to get it closed:mad:. Still need to pack all shirts and shorts:eek:-- but suitcase is full (light -- but still full.)

Stef

Stef, I've been following along on your cruise excitement and will be going on the same itinerary as you but a couple months later.

May I ask a quick favor?

Please don't go out of your way, and only if it's something that's very obvious...would you mind seeing if the elevator in the Doge's Palace has been fixed yet? From various sites it appears that it should have been fixed earlier this year, but I don't see any proof of it as many places are still indicating that the elevators are still out.

Many thanks in advance, and again, please don't go out of your way.

Cannot wait to hear all about the cruise!!

I use the vacuum pack bags to get round that problem. They are specially useful to get the full 10 kg into hand luggage on European airlines

Hi,

aehm, what are vacuum pack bags? I mean -- the name kinda indicates it, but I never heard of it. Can you buy these in stores? Are they like freezer bags with a zip lock:confused:?

Too late for this cruise---but definitely something worth researching for the future! Thanks for the tip:)!

Stef

Hi Windjamming,

sure you may! I'll try to find out. We'll be in the doges palace with 3 more fellow CC'ers...so we should be able to get that info for you:). No worries. No big deal.

Stef

Thanks Stef (and fellow CC'ers)! Have a great time!!

Just Google vacuum travel bags or see

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vacuum+travel+bags

Some just roll up, and some need a vacuum cleaner to extract the air, but I believe cabin stewards are amenable to letting you use their cleaner for a couple of minutes

Edited by suekay

Lordy what a morning!

Almost saw the cruise leave without me. Our idiotic horse (sorry -- usually I like him alot -- but I'm really mad at him right now --so that's why I'm cussing) threw himself on the ground because he got a deworming paste in his mouth. While stupidly crashing on the concrete he hurt himself to an extent that he got back up standing on three legs:eek:. Bruises everywhere, but his right hind leg was high up in the air. Nonono -- don't have a broken leg please! I am a vet. True. But I only treat dogs, cats and even smaller pets. Our horses are not my patients what so ever. I turn into a nervous wreck if anything happens to them. I rushed to the phone to call a large animal colleage. Thank God he was home. Then I spent the last two hours crying, hoping and planning for desaster. He looked at him and said-- damn, he hurt himself real good ( great -- not something I wanted to hear -- mental note to never tell my small animal patients that kind of stuff). But I think you can go on your cruise afterall. He got tons of intiinflammatories and more. We'll see how it develops till tomorrow. But I'm still not completely reassured that Tanja and Tarik won't go cruising without me. Please wish me luck. I can use as many crossed thumbs as possible.

Stef

Lordy what a morning!

Almost saw the cruise leave without me. Our idiotic horse (sorry -- usually I like him alot -- but I'm really mad at him right now --so that's why I'm cussing) threw himself on the ground because he got a deworming paste in his mouth. While stupidly crashing on the concrete he hurt himself to an extent that he got back up standing on three legs:eek:. Bruises everywhere, but his right hind leg was high up in the air. Nonono -- don't have a broken leg please! I am a vet. True. But I only treat dogs, cats and even smaller pets. Our horses are not my patients what so ever. I turn into a nervous wreck if anything happens to them. I rushed to the phone to call a large animal colleage. Thank God he was home. Then I spent the last two hours crying, hoping and planning for desaster. He looked at him and said-- damn, he hurt himself real good ( great -- not something I wanted to hear -- mental note to never tell my small animal patients that kind of stuff). But I think you can go on your cruise afterall. He got tons of intiinflammatories and more. We'll see how it develops till tomorrow. But I'm still not completely reassured that Tanja and Tarik won't go cruising without me. Please wish me luck. I can use as many crossed thumbs as possible.

Stef

Oh Stef no!!!!! :(:(:(

That sounds horrendous. I'll certainly have everything crossed for you and him

Carol

Oh Stef no!!!!! :(:(:(

That sounds horrendous. I'll certainly have everything crossed for you and him

Carol

Thanks Carol,

No need to worry about him. He'll be just fine (just a question of how long and intense the recovery process will be)...Doesn't need to get back in "working" condition. Even if it would turn out that he never can be ridden again -- he has a place for life here. We just need to manage to get him pain free. Then -- if it is really bad, he can go into retirement. But I really hope not! I love to be out and about with him. He (usually:rolleyes:) is a really great horse.

Stef

seems your whole family have always kinda medical issues when you want to go on a cruise...:)

i hope he will be fine and you can enjoy your trip...

Yeah, isn't that horrible? Very first cruise we couldn't go at all because one week prior to departure we got our first fosterdaughter. In the middle of school term-- no way to get her out of school. My parents ended up cruising instead of us:o.

Next summer the kid had to return to her biological parents:mad: and Tanja tore her crucial ligament:( ...but at least that time we didn't have to cancel:)!

And now I (REALLY!!!!!!) hope we can go this time! Again a right leg in the way--- just this time not human. But things are looking good...the leg is swollen --duhh-- but he's putting weight on it and munching away on the hay. Now that he's apparently feeling better I'm back to the mood of strangling him for his idiocy!

I better not do anything anymore...best thing would be to hide in a box I guess -- so no cruise-stopping madness can happen anymore!

Stef