Canon battery grip

Canon speedlite flash

Olympus Tough Waterproof Point & Shoot Camera

Extra batteries for both cameras

Extra Compact flash cards 16gig, 2 8gig, 4 gig & 2gig

Chargers for both Cameras

Iphone & Ipad chargers

Earbuds

In the outside pocket is my travel wallet that contains our passports, credit cards, insurance and donor cards, some cash and my driver's license. Hubby's iPad mini will fit in his backpack.

We will each wear our Merrell Hiking shoes on the plane. I still think we are taking more clothes than we need... we could always take less and if we need something buy tshirts or sweatshirts when we get there. Also we will have a rental car the first day so if we really need anything or thought we couldn't do without a certain type of shampoo or other liquid or hairspray we would just stop at Walmart or a local store and buy it. But I think my travel sized hairspray will be plenty for me.

Hopefully this will help you see how it can be done... just think you won't have to wait on your luggage at the airport, or on the ship when you get to your room, or on the morning that you debark the ship or at the airport again when you get home. :)

Ok, lets hear your thoughts...

It sounds like you have it all figured out. Please report during and after the vacation to let us know how this worked for you. Is there something else you wish you had packed? Something you packed that you ended up not needing?

Great packing list!! Wow I am impressed, hope to do half as well as you have in July. I too buy clothes and put them away for our cruise. I have evening tops that weigh only ounces. I take one pair of trousers and then just change tops and add a scarf. Have one jacket that is reversible that I can wear for formal nights, blue on one side and black on the other.

I am not sure if you have used the ships laundry before, but I would beware that things tend to shrink when they get their hands on it. On things I worry about I have used a potato chip clip to hang on the bathroom shower line. We are diamond plus so the laundry bag is the free one with our coupon... stuff and wash.

The things we have had dry cleaned have always come back in good shape.

Laughing here at your comment about your hubby. I have one that is just like him. I do the research and he ask where he is supposed to go. The thing that is nice about that...... I pick out what I want to do. :p

Great job.... on my second cup of coffee.

It sounds like you have it all figured out. Please report during and after the vacation to let us know how this worked for you. Is there something else you wish you had packed? Something you packed that you ended up not needing?

I do still have my two daypacks in the outside pockets of my carry-ons. Once off the plane I have room for more stuff (like snacks,breakfast bars, etc. for the land portion) when we stop at a local grocery store.

Also there are the TWO BOTTLES OF WINE, that I will carry on to the ship on week 2 that I will also purchase locally before boarding.

I'm a little nervous about living out of a suitcase for a week in a different hotel most every night. Hopefully I'm packed in a way that I can get to what I need with out disturbing everything in the bag. I'm used to unpacking everything on the ship and it being just like home.

Thanks for your questions, keep 'em coming.

Great packing list!! Wow I am impressed, hope to do half as well as you have in July. I too buy clothes and put them away for our cruise. I have evening tops that weigh only ounces. I take one pair of trousers and then just change tops and add a scarf. Have one jacket that is reversible that I can wear for formal nights, blue on one side and black on the other.

I am not sure if you have used the ships laundry before, but I would beware that things tend to shrink when they get their hands on it. On things I worry about I have used a potato chip clip to hang on the bathroom shower line. We are diamond plus so the laundry bag is the free one with our coupon... stuff and wash.

The things we have had dry cleaned have always come back in good shape.

Laughing here at your comment about your hubby. I have one that is just like him. I do the research and he ask where he is supposed to go. The thing that is nice about that...... I pick out what I want to do. :p

Great job.... on my second cup of coffee.

So far we have only used the pressing service (when we took hubby's suit) and the laundry bag for undies/t-shirts once in Canada when we were gone 15 nights. I brought Woolite and laundry clips and plan to rinse my own stuff & hang on the shower line if I have to.

And yes, it's much easier planning when you have free rein. Hubby knows that I will pick things we are both interested in and that I will have every day packed to the brim.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you'll be following along. Please continue to comment and ask questions.

Did your husband pack a suit for formal night?

We are foregoing formal nights this trip and will eat in the specialty restaurants using OBC we have from booking using a Next Cruise Certificate.

He did bring black slacks, two long sleeve dress shirts and a black tie. He will wear on smart-casual nights. Last trip to Canada he even wore that on one formal night after we told our water we'd skip the third formal night & he told us to come anyway.

Dress on colder climate cruises (in our experience) is a lot less formal than Europe or Caribbean cruises. You will see lots of jeans & sweaters or collared shirts, even at dinner.

We were able to find some Greg Norman Golf "dress slacks" at Costco for less than $25 that are super light weight and are nice pants. They had them in 3 different colors, a friend called and told me about them & picked them up for me. Also, golf shirts are light weight & moisture wicking, have collars and look plenty nice for all non-formal nights in the MDR.

Well, I just found you, but happy to come along. I DID get 9256 so hopefully, you will be able to supply us with more pix at your friends cabin!!!:D

Bring it on girl!

We had 9256 on Brilliance on our last cruise in Canada & we loved it. The balcony was great! We had two loungers and a table and I spent a lot of time out there. Plus there was very little hall traffic so it was nice & quiet.

Just be prepared... it is a long walk... but we didn't mind, we were plenty willing & able to make it... plus it burned a few extra calories!

Thanks for coming along on our cruise!

Edited by ace1zoe2

No problem, we do aft on Voyager and Freedom class, it takes a while, but calories off:D

I will try Costco for the slacks if not too late. DH bought a great water proof jacket last February there.

We will have friends in the hump area also, so we will have the best of viewing worlds hopefully. But I really expect to be able to sit on our balcony, cappuccino in hand and watch the glacier calving or on theirs at least. Between DH and our friends DH we will have epic photog equipment!

I had planned on doing the one large checked bag with DH in camera backpack and me with Vera tote only.

I would love to be able to do the train from airport downtown to the Pan Pacific! But our travel buds (girlfriend) IS a fashionista and probably will have at least 5 bags between them, so they are balking at not taking a taxi!:(

Me...I wouldn't even take silk underwear, I ski without gloves, am always hot! Just layering, but you inspire me to pare down even more! It'll be a hoot!

I will try Costco for the slacks if not too late. DH bought a great water proof jacket last February there.

My friend found them in the last month at Costco, so hopefully you will have luck also. I believe they had them in black, khaki & blue. She bought her husband all 3 colors for our European cruise next year.

our travel buds (girlfriend) IS a fashionista and probably will have at least 5 bags between them. Me...I wouldn't even take silk underwear, I ski without gloves, am always hot! Just layering, but you inspire me to pare down even more! It'll be a hoot!

I am no fashionista, I'm barely a MAXXANISTA! (think shopping the TJ Maxx clearance racks :D) Unfortunately, I am cold natured... the first trip to Alaska I had to buy a fleece coat, gloves and ear wrap. This time I vow to be prepared!

Edited by ace1zoe2

Alison,

Your family sounds like mine! Hubby just wants to know what he needs to wear each day and what time he has to be ready to go. He asked me last night, "so where do we fly in to?" I said "I've told you all this, you never listen." His response, "well it's closer now so I can remember." In other words, I plan too far in advance and he can't keep up with it.

I also didn't know about the double points but have had 3 different CVP tell me that when I called in to ask questions or make payments. Congrats on making Diamond yourself!

Definitely, NOT KNOWING has been the only negative for me so far in planning this cruisetour. I'm sure it's designed for non-OCD types who like to sit back & let someone else take charge so all they have to do is show up (like hubby).

I did find this e-zine after months of searching the RCI website and calling & talking to 5 or more people, the shorex team & even the landex team, not one of them could tell me how to find out about what is offered for land excursions or even knew it existed. Hope it might help with at least having an idea what's available or what type of costs you are looking at. You can't book any of them until the cruisetour actually starts. I just can't go in blind and hope there will be something I want to do or might can afford.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/statichtmlpage.do?pagename=brochure_alaska_land_excursions

Enjoy!

Thanks for the link- I hadn't found that! I spent ages researching and booking excursions for the land portion- and now find they're exactly the same price via RCI:rolleyes: Never mind- all booked and paid for and the kids have a rough idea of how early they're going to have to get out of bed each morning:eek: I couldn't wait until the tour started to book excursions- I'm not that good at "winging it"!

Thanks for the link- I hadn't found that! I spent ages researching and booking excursions for the land portion- and now find they're exactly the same price via RCI:rolleyes: Never mind- all booked and paid for and the kids have a rough idea of how early they're going to have to get out of bed each morning:eek: I couldn't wait until the tour started to book excursions- I'm not that good at "winging it"!

I couldn't wait either. I have all tours booked and paid except the second morning in Denali. Since I'm unsure what the times for the motorcoach departure are, I don't want to spend $90pp on a non refundable tour... So just in case I'll wait and book it thru RCI at $100pp. Now I just have to hope I get it booked before it fills up. At least we're on the longest cruise tour & we're going a day early, so I'm hoping I can meet the tour director & get our packet earlier than most :)

You're correct about pricing.. I tried to point that out earlier, booking independent in Alaska doesn't save MONEY, however, you are in smaller, more personalized tours with much more interaction & you're not waiting on 50 other people to get back on the bus so you can go! Also on whale watching tours you don't have to jockey for position to get pictures, etc.

I'll take a private tour any time over a group tour, even if I have to pay $10-$20 more pp its worth it!

Edited by ace1zoe2

Do you think you could post a pic or link to what tactical and technical clothes are? I'm not sure I have heard those terms (I'm picturing fishing type clothes, lol). I have a 21" Ebags TLS Mother Lode Carry On, but I'm not sure it would hold all your items! I would have to try it. But I have to draw the line at using the ship's mystery shampoo in the thing on the wall. Perhaps a JS will have nicer stuff? I was just in a JS on the Brilliance but don't remember as I brought my own. But I am in a standard D2 on the Radiance in Sept.

And how did you manage to pack a toboggan? ;)

I always seem to have an issue when it comes to gym clothes and shoes. I can't run/exercise in hiking boots and I really can't hike in my running shoes. My gym clothes are light, that's not an issue, it's the shoes! And DH re-wearing his clothes (especially if there is any level of physical activity... stinky!) So I get stuck. Perhaps one checked bag I can strive for. Well, after I lose my gold status on American!

Edited by sr4mjc

Hey SR:

I'm taking 2 pairs of shoes and the idea of wearing the Merrells on the plane is a good one, however, I'm wearing my Crocs for easy on off action. Folks on the Alaska thread say all you need is a good pair of sneaks with water repellent.

Need to hear about your excursions ace! Ours all booked/paid also. Harv n Marv and Michelle's float plane, just eating crab in Icy!:D Someone just came back and said you can see all the whales you want right in port there up close and personal. Ours is the round trip cruise. No Skagway

Edited by BecciBoo

This is true! However, she is my cruise buddy. Not that we've cruised together (yet) but she is my friend that gets most excited about "talking cruises". And she practically BEGGED me for it, right Amber?

LOL, Yes Cindy I did beg you from the binder!

My friend found them in the last month at Costco, so hopefully you will have luck also. I believe they had them in black, khaki & blue. She bought her husband all 3 colors for our European cruise next year.

I am no fashionista, I'm barely a MAXXANISTA! (think shopping the TJ Maxx clearance racks :D) Unfortunately, I am cold natured... the first trip to Alaska I had to buy a fleece coat, gloves and ear wrap. This time I vow to be prepared!

I am glad to hear you say you have been to Alaska before, because most of those "technical" clothes are not very warm. I was shivering just reading your list. I give you all the credit in the world for doing it. I know it will be fabulous to not haul luggage. I will be interested in how it works out in reality.

Hey SR:

I'm taking 2 pairs of shoes and the idea of wearing the Merrells on the plane is a good one, however, I'm wearing my Crocs for easy on off action. Folks on the Alaska thread say all you need is a good pair of sneaks with water repellent.

Need to hear about your excursions ace! Ours all booked/paid also. Harv n Marv and Michelle's float plane, just eating crab in Icy!:D Someone just came back and said you can see all the whales you want right in port there up close and personal. Ours is the round trip cruise. No Skagway

If your lucky you can definitely see whales in ISP. This was last week's view.

1021050361_ISPwhales.jpg.67808a39d804433f160931b1706fa59a.jpg

272539838_ISPwhales2.jpg.4fa2d73b64a2505b5341c4a98d83e080.jpg

Do you think you could post a pic or link to what tactical and technical clothes are? I'm not sure I have heard those terms (I'm picturing fishing type clothes, lol).

You might try sites like

Magellans.com

Chicos.com

Travelite.com

travelsmith.com

exofficio.com

dickssportinggoods.com

academy.com

Search for travel clothes, they don't have to specifically be technical clothing. Several shirts we purchased at Academy are Under Armour brand and look like pearl-snap shirts, they are light weight, moisture-wicking, non-wrinkle fabrics that look nice enough to wear to the MDR. Technical pants have articulating knees (extra fabric sewn into the sides) for bending and hiking, and are water repellent & light weight. You can get them in zip-off styles without articulating knees also.

Some of the underwear, t-shirts & pants are anti-microbial to resist odors and wick moisture. All are lightweight & quick drying if you choose to go with fewer items & want to rinse in Woolite and hang to dry overnight.

We used to take all our workout gear, shoes, etc & never ended up making the time to use it... so we're not taking it this time. However we will be doing some hikes at several stops and the Merrell hiking shoes & mid tops I have look like tennis shoes basically.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ace1zoe2

I am glad to hear you say you have been to Alaska before, because most of those "technical" clothes are not very warm. I was shivering just reading your list. I give you all the credit in the world for doing it. I know it will be fabulous to not haul luggage. I will be interested in how it works out in reality.

That's why I'm bringing plenty of layers this time.., last time I was not prepared. I'm really hoping this works out as well reality as it has in my head... I don't want to have to come back to hear "I told you so" :)

If nothing else, at least I've tried... best case, I've found a whole new way to travel.

With 3 sea days, I will definitely be making use of the gym on the Radiance. I love the view from their gym! We are doing the same excursion on Juneau as we did in 2007, the Guides Choice Trail Hike. It's 4-6 miles and was very, very slippery. I was glad to have hiking boots so I didn't roll an ankle. But so, so gorgeous! I remember wearing my hiking boots a lot that trip, much warmer than sneakers. And my running shoes are strictly for running, I don't wear them sight seeing.

This are great tips and if it doesn't work out for Alaska (checking one suitcase is still a win!), I certainly will be trying to pack better for Europe. Especially when the weather calls for less heavy clothes. I will check out the travel clothes online, thanks!

What kind of gloves and head gear are you taking?

Becci,

We have a Northface lined cable knit toboggans. Hubby has lined gloves he's had forever and I have some I bought in Alaska last trip. I hate wearing hats as I have short hair & I look bald with one one but I'd rather have warm ears :)

Edited by ace1zoe2