Hotel in Hong Kong

mprcruiser

Hong Kong style food and Chinese food are essentially 2 different things, IMO

Can you elucidate? Is it just a particular type of Chinese food? I'm familiar with Cantonese, Szechuan, and several others--is that what you're talking about? (Not talking about the average Chinese food outside of big cities in North America.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Assuming that you arriving by air then you will find the Salisbury the easiest to reach from the Airport. Shatin would be a hike.

As for food, which is of course down to personal taste, if you are interested in authentic Thai food there is a brilliant restaurant in Wanchai (on the Island - easy MTR journey) called The Chilli Club (online for address). It really is astonishingly good and you can eat to bursting point and still have change from US$25. Get there before 7pm if you don't have a reservation. We've only been there, oh, maybe 50 times!

• 11 months later...
Did you mean the Royal Park Hotel in Shatin?
I have an Aunt that lives in Shatin, that's waaayy far from "downtown".
Shatin is mainly a residential area, with good public transit out to the city - depends on whereabout at Sha Tin, it could be 25 to 45+ minutes MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui, which is where the Salisbury is located. This will help: http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/homepage/cust_index.html

New Town Plaza at Shatin (http://www.newtownplaza.com.hk/eng/index.html) is one of the largest shopping malls in Hong Kong.

I was reminded of this thread when - for good reason - I ended up staying in the Royal Park Hotel in Shatin a couple of weeks back.

I did the trip in to town by public transport once. From the hotel, it was a 5 minute walk through the shopping centre to the train station. Then there were two changes (at Kowloon Tong and then again at Mong Kok) to get to either Tsim Sha Tsui or Central. Total journey time from the hotel to Pacific Place was about 45 minutes.

Not something that I'd recommend for a visitor.

• 3 months later...
Sorry for posting to an older thread, but, my question is mainly about the Salisbury. Would I need a power adapter for my US laptop? TIA.

Laptop power supplies and chargers for iThings have been dual voltage for years.

Look on the label of your laptop's power supply; the Input Voltage should be something like "100v to 220v"; if it is you're good to go.

Now you may need a plug adapter, others who have stayed there can answer that.

Yeah, I guess I worded it wrong. I know the power is going to be ok, it's the "plug" to the wall I'm concerned about :)

Thanks for replying :)

You could always get one of these...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GearIt-All-in-One-World-Wide-Universal-AC-Adapter-Travel-Wall-Charger-US-UK-EU-AU-with-1A-USB-Charing-Port-White/38805281

:)

Yeah, I guess I worded it wrong. I know the power is going to be ok, it's the "plug" to the wall I'm concerned about
It depends on what type of plug it's got already.

Here's a good resource for comparing plugs and sockets by country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country#Table_of_mains_voltages_and_frequencies

Yeah, I guess I worded it wrong. I know the power is going to be ok, it's the "plug" to the wall I'm concerned about :)

I can't quite remember but I think we did have to use the adapter that changes the plug from 220 to 110. Not sure, but I would take one with me, just in case.

You need a type G adapter This is standard in Great Britain and Ireland as well as HK and Singapore . Should be easily found at any airport .

I can't quite remember but I think we did have to use the adapter that changes the plug from 220 to 110. Not sure, but I would take one with me, just in case.
If AcaCandy checks their power supply as Philob recommends, they can be sure whether or not they need to. I'd be astonished if they do in order to power a modern computer.

The advantage of being sure is that a simple adapter that doesn't include a transformer is a very compact and lightweight device.