How to book?

me-n-kev

Booking question: How to book, PVP vs. TA/broker? How do we find a REPUTABLE TA/broker? We took our first cruise earlier this year, booked by someone else (family trip). Now we want to take a cruise for just our immediate family this coming february.

Where do I start?

1) I've read some horror stories on these boards about reservations not being there/being cancelled by travel agent, and carnival pvp bookings are "safer".

2) I've read that bookings thru carnival are up to $200/pp higher.

3) My m-i-l who booked the aforementioned family trip says only use a cruise broker.

Ideas? Recommendations?

TIA,

Kevin

As far as brokers (or what are basically large-volume cruise TAs) go, the best way to find a good one is to a.) search for the best price, making sure taxes/fees are included, and b.) read up on the agency through the Better Business Bureau and make sure they are legit and don't have an unusual amount of complaints. Next, I make sure the agency I book with has not only a webpage, but a phone number, and a physical address, so you know it's not a fly-by-night operation. The things I look for the most (other than price) are cancellation fees (Does the TA charge any fees? How much?) - it's common for internet TAs to charge a cancellation fee, but you wouldn't want an exorbitant amount - and I also look for perks, such as onboard credit or photo credit or free upgrade, etc. Perks are not so easy to come by if you have a set sailing and ship in mind.

Anyway, the point is, I have always had the best luck with one particular internet large-volume agency. Due to CC rules, I can't tell you which one, but they've always been the lowest price by quite a lot - for all 3 of my cruises. They provide great service and very reliable and easy to communicate with, both via phone and email. They do charge a slightly steep cancellation fee, but to me, the savings over the other agencies' rates far outweighs the tiny chance I might have to cancel.

Booking question: How to book, PVP vs. TA/broker? How do we find a REPUTABLE TA/broker? We took our first cruise earlier this year, booked by someone else (family trip). Now we want to take a cruise for just our immediate family this coming february.

Where do I start?

1) I've read some horror stories on these boards about reservations not being there/being cancelled by travel agent, and carnival pvp bookings are "safer".

2) I've read that bookings thru carnival are up to $200/pp higher.

3) My m-i-l who booked the aforementioned family trip says only use a cruise broker.

Ideas? Recommendations?

TIA,

Kevin

My suggestion is to figure out first which cruise you want to take, then price it out online at all the various ( reputable places which we can't post here)

then ask family and friends which local TA they use. Then go to them with your printed out prices from online and see what price they come up with.

Kevin, everybody has their own best way to book a cruise. Personally, I have used a Carnival PVP for my last five cruises, and have been very happy - and I DO check other sources before I book my cruises. It's not true that Carnival quotes $200 more than others, but each situation is different. You'll have to check for yourself, not by hearsay, y'know?

Have pen and pad at hand. Check online agencies, a local TA, and Carnival PVP. You don't have to book with the first one you talk with. Do your homework, compare; then you can make an intelligent decision on which way is best for you.

One question to ask each one is if there are any penalties for name changes, cancellations, etc., and be sure to get the total cost, including port charges and taxes.

Good luck.:)

Take a browse through some of the CC group cruises on the boards here. If there is something that interests you book as per the instructions.

Though group cruises will most times include lots of perks sometimes even cabin credits.

Archived