Disability and Thomson Cruise

popeyejohn

I have just been told by Thomson Cruises that I will have to pay for a taxi from Palma Airport to the Island Escape and vice versa on return as my son cannot manage the coach transfer due to mobility problems (he will struggle with the steps as they can be very steep).

Before I booked I made enquires with Thomson’s dedicated Welfare Team regards suitability of cruise etc and there was no mention of having to pay for a taxi if the coach was not accessible.

We decide to book based on the information given, the suitability of Island Escape and the cruise itinerary. It was then that I made Thomson’s aware of my son’s problems and completed a questionnaire over the phone.

Thomson’s have come back and said it will cost an additional 40 Euros each way but they are willing to pay one way if we get the doctor to sign a form which again will incur a doctors fee and will probably cancel out their offer of paying one way.

I have challenged this with the travel agent who has gone back to Thomson’s Welfare Team and I am awaiting a reply.

In the meantime I contacted Trading Standards and they advised me to look in the Terms and Conditions. When I did some more research I came across a reference to coach transfers, taxi and charge which gives then the right on paper so it looks like I will have to pay.

I feel really let down by Thomson’s dedicated Welfare Team as they did not mention any additional charges and the fact that we have paid for the coach transfer which is not accessible.

Has anybody else had any issues with paying extra because you are disabled for coach transfers?

If you are disabled or have mobility problems and cannot manage the coach transfer do they provide another means of transport when you dock in port?

I think this is shameful of Thomsons, years ago when I worked for a tour operator here in Lanzarote, we routinely asked wheelchair passengers on arrival if they could manage the coach or would they prefer a Taxi, this was called up from the rank and paid for on the tour operators account, same for the return. Is TUI now so strapped for cash they resort to this penny pinching ?

My husband now has walking difficulties, especially with steps, we were travelling independantly to join the Escape a few weeks ago. The taxi fare was 16€ BUT there is an airport surcharge (charged by the airport so the driver will pass it on to you) plus for bags, The metre showed 22.50€. As he got us right outside the Terminal (Porto Pi T2) we gave him 30€. There will be plenty of baggage handlers to help,(they even provided a wheelchair without having to ask) then go to check in as he will need your tag with your cabin label/no. There is a lift that you can use to go up to the port security and plenty of help at hand if you need a hand if the gangway is a little steep.Top marks to IE crew & port staff. We were on board within a few minutes and our case beat us to it !!

Sorry you are having such a struggle with Thomsons but hope it won´t spoil your and your sons holiday.

mari

Archived