Independence of the Seas?

Hi everyone

This is my first time posting so hopefully I don't screw it up. I've been visiting this forum for a few months and have really enjoyed reading some great posts.

I recently booked the Independence of the seas for a 8night Caribbean cruise December 21st. I am 30 years old and will be travelling with my gf and several family members. We are booked in promenade cabins on deck 8.

There doesn't seem to be too much talk about this ship on the forum so I am hoping to hear some positive (or negative) experiences from others. Recent reviews don't seem to be great. I have previously cruised Celebrity, Princess and Holland America but have always been interested in trying Royal Caribbean. My only experience was touring Enchantment of the seas many years ago and thought it was a beautiful ship. Hopefully Independence would serve as a good introduction to the line.

Any feedback you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

Jon

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Independence is one of our favorite ships. We were on her last March and are booked again on her next March. We have Promenade rooms on deck 8 as well for some of our family members. These staterooms are unique with the inside window overlooking the Royal Promenade. Deck 8 is the highest deck for these rooms and provides a nice down-facing view.

She just underwent her refurbishment which added the pool big screen, replaced Portofino's with Giovanni's, upgraded all public interactive computer screens, added a cupcake cupboard in the Royal Promenade, and other cosmetic improvements. Looking forward to sailing her again this upcoming March - I'm sure you'll enjoy her.

We love INDY :)

We have just today booked our 3rd cruise on Indy as we love her so much, Having just got off the Allure i can safely say that i am really excited that portofinos has been replaced by Giovanni's but that is personal preference no offence intended to those that love the latter.

Go and enjoy your cruise, i am fairly sure you will not be disappointed :)

I THINK you will be very very very,happy once you get aboard,IT will be like going on a propeller airplane,and then going on an f-22 raptor,yes hold on to your shorts,and be prepared,i wish you well young jedi:)))

We did the Transatlantic on the Indy in April and found it be one of our now favourite R C ships. Clean well run ship with great crew and activities for all ages Oh and the food is good to.:)

We also were on The Indy in January of this year, had a great cruise. We did the 6 day and have booked the 8 day for March of 14. Indy and the Freedom class are great ship, you will have a blast. I also think when she goes to Europe (like right now) there are a lot less reviews, dont know why there just is. when she came back last year there were a lot of negative reviews so i too was a lil worried but when we went we had an absolute blast.

If you havent been to labadee, check out my review link down below. Its a great place and fun port. Your 8 day will stop there, we booked 2 cabanas this past January and have 2 booked for next year as well!! Have fun!:D

We love the Independence, have done a Transatlantic on her and 3 B2B and booked in Jan. for 4 B2B! Brought our family on this Jan. for the 6 nt Caribbean. They loved it!!

Our son late 30 yr., was hooked on the flowrider.:) They were in a promenade and it was just fine! Booked in one again for Jan/14.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!!:) Have a great cruise!!!

We are doing the Indy next March and looking forward to experiencing one of the bigger ships.

BTW not sure when you booked but in the past couple of days there was a very large price drop for your Dec. 21 sailing. Insides now under $1000pp for the 8 day Holiday cruise.

We are doing the Indy next March and looking forward to experiencing one of the bigger ships.

BTW not sure when you booked but in the past couple of days there was a very large price drop for your Dec. 21 sailing. Insides now under $1000pp for the 8 day Holiday cruise.

Thank you, very kind of you to mention this. We booked earlier this week and were able to get a rate of $879 + fees for interior promenade. It's actually the main reason we booked. Thanks again. :)

Thank you, very kind of you to mention this. We booked earlier this week and were able to get a rate of $879 + fees for interior promenade. It's actually the main reason we booked. Thanks again. :)

Your welcome. Glad to see you got the great rate. I've been watching the prices of all the Christmas cruises. We are booked for 9 days on the Liberty and just snagged a great ON resident rate for the first 5 days but can't stop myself from checking to see if something better comes along.

Your welcome. Glad to see you got the great rate. I've been watching the prices of all the Christmas cruises. We are booked for 9 days on the Liberty and just snagged a great ON resident rate for the first 5 days but can't stop myself from checking to see if something better comes along.

I've been doing the same thing, sort of obsessively. lol

That's great..the Liberty goes to some of my favorite ports and the ship has awesome reviews. Hopefully you're able to get a price break on the second half. either way have a great cruise!

I've been doing the same thing, sort of obsessively. lol

That's great..the Liberty goes to some of my favorite ports and the ship has awesome reviews. Hopefully you're able to get a price break on the second half. either way have a great cruise!

Already got our break on the prices for the second half by booking it last year. D1 aft balcony for $509pp. We are looking forward to Belieze for some cave tubing and zip lining.

Already got our break on the prices for the second half by booking it last year. D1 aft balcony for $509pp. We are looking forward to Belieze for some cave tubing and zip lining.

Wow that's a steal! sounds like a blast. I was thinking about zip lining at Labadee but the price is a little steep.

I just left Indy yesterday. I've got post-cruise depression. :(

She's lovely and you'll have a great time.

Obviously you have plenty of experience on this ship, based on your itinerary signature... ;)

We're looking forward to sailing this updated/refurbished ship next March. Thanks for your insights.

We did a cruise on Indy this past January, and it was our first cruise ever! Well, my husband went on a cruise when he was a teen... but it was definitely my first.

It was amazing! You will love it! It's a fantastic ship with a great crew!

Archived