Seeing the Pitons with a 6 year old

GGfisher

We'll be stopping in St Lucia soon and we really want to see the Pitons! However, we don't think our 6 year old granddaughter could handle the lengthy land/sea tour and we're not interested in a "booze cruise" either. Does anyone have suggestions of the best way to see the Pitons with kids? Thanks so much!

We'll be stopping in St Lucia soon and we really want to see the Pitons! However, we don't think our 6 year old granddaughter could handle the lengthy land/sea tour and we're not interested in a "booze cruise" either. Does anyone have suggestions of the best way to see the Pitons with kids? Thanks so much!

We did Spencer Ambrose's land and sea tour to the Pitons a few years back and I agree that would be too much for a 6 year old. I thought I read that he has a boat option now that gets you to the beach area much quicker- but haven't tried it myself.

Jalousie Beach is right at the base of the mountains and is a beautiful beach. When we were there, the main beach area was reserved for the resort guests and tour groups were mostly relegated to the far side of the beach in front of the snorkel area.

It was a great tour and the Pitons are definitely worth the trip- I hope you get some child-friendly suggestions.

Both times we visited St. Lucia, we sailed by the Pitons about 2 hours after departure. We sat on our balcony and watched them in the distance the first time.

On our second trip, the captain planned a special sail-by and we sailed super close to shore. We actually did a 360 spin around in the middle of the cove between the Pitons. They celebrated with a cocktail party on the deck. We approached so close to shore, I felt I could almost reach out and touch them.

Hopefully, your ship will sail close enough to get the great view we did. It was a spectacular site to see.

Check out the Eco Adventure excursion with Mystic Man. They do a 5-hour trip where they pick you up at the dock at 8:30am and take you via catamaran down to the Pitons and back with a stop for snorkeling. They only allow a max of 20 people on their 50' boat so it's a much more intimate experience than the crowded ship excursions.

We will be there next Wednesday and cannot wait!!

We were in St. Lucia last month, wanted a beach day and to see the Pitons. I don't know about tours offered by the other tour companies, but Spencer Ambrose offers a "Jalousie Beach Break". MDSue mentioned it as the boat option that gets you to the beach area much quicker and that Jalousie is the beach between the pitons. Very beautiful there and we had a great time. If it's something you may be interested in, I'll be happy to answer, as best I can (we don't have kids), any questions you may have.

Just an FYI, we were on Carnival Valor last month. Since the next stop on our cruise was St. Kitts (to the north) and the Pitons are to the south, we did not sail past the Pitons when we left St. Lucia that afternoon. However, if you're an early riser, Valor sailed past them around 5:30AM, but we had good views of them even past 6:00AM. I got up early because I wanted to see them as we came in - just beautiful.

View of St. Lucia (Pitons to the right) from our balcony (we were on the right/starboard side of the ship) just after 6:00AM

IMG_5020.jpg

View of the Pitons heading back to the ship from Jalousie Beach

100_6916.jpg

Archived