Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

That's the same spot my sister was looking at. Her boyfriend says 'No way they would have built a block that high up in the ship yet!'.

He's thinking that they would build blocks for the Quantum from the full bottom (keel) of the ship upwards. Not necessarily I told him. Well, it's not necessarily how they would put the blocks together, anyhow. Whatever they do at WF, we don't know how long they've been building the blocks. Heck! They could have the bridge built by now! :rolleyes:

I showed him this image from the WF site of the Getaway being built where I guess the Quantum of the Seas will be built. It's the area behind the present location of the Getaway that the webcam isn't showing us now(!). Anyhow, it shows my sister's bo that the whole keel of a ship isn't necessarily put together before they start to build upward. Looks like WF was building what they could in the space allotted.

Edit: In the bottom right corner you can just make out the rear of the Breakaway?

Norwegian_GetawayimagefromMW_zps0028d185.jpg

Lloyd - see this link and pictures by Andres Depping. You can see a whole section of Getaway being put together next to Beakaway. So yes indeed they an assemble the blocks by upper sections first. Something to share with your sister's boyfriend.

http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=272&pid=8937#top_display_media

Lots of great pictures here as well.

Random I know but does anyone know what the purpose of the bridge sticking out in front like the NCL is for?

Some of the new ship designs have this especially in cases were the bridge and front section of the ship is not concave enough. This part of he bridge actually has a "steering wheel" if you will. When going in and out of a port one of the officers takes the wheel. Last time I saw one of these "steering wheels" was on the bridge of Freedom OTS. I wlll look through my pictures to see if I have an image.

Edit "not convex enough" as in curving outwards. Most RCI ships have a very curvy bridge.

That's what I was thinking. All the ships I've been on have had very cury bridges with the edges sticking out over. I just didnt understand what the benefit of that protruding forward was. Didnt seem like you'd have a much better view.

That's what I was thinking. All the ships I've been on have had very cury bridges with the edges sticking out over. I just didnt understand what the benefit of that protruding forward was. Didnt seem like you'd have a much better view.

I don't care for that sticking out look on Breakaway, Getaway, Royal Princess and other ships. I think the RCI ships bridge design looks better.

I'm puzzled as to why RCI is taking so long to do another reveal or announce the official date of the keel laying. It's clear the building process is underway. :cool:

The web site below states Aug. 5th as the date for the keel laying.

http://www.ferrypubs.co.uk/excursions_details.asp?article=1468&offset=

Tyron, thanks for sharing. Looking at past postings of the webcam, they seem to be ahead in the construction. The fact that they still don't want to show the back of Hall 6 on the webcam leads me to think there is a lot more going on back there. You recall the steel cutting for Quantum was announced to the rest of us after it was already done. So who knows what they are up to.

Tyron, thanks for sharing. Looking at past postings of the webcam, they seem to be ahead in the construction. The fact that they still don't want to show the back of Hall 6 on the webcam leads me to think there is a lot more going on back there. You recall the steel cutting for Quantum was announced to the rest of us after it was already done. So who knows what they are up to.

I agree and it all seems odd. I think they're much further along than we realize.:cool:

I agree and it all seems odd. I think they're much further along than we realize.:cool:

From good ol' Wikipedia:

The event recognized as the keel laying is the first joining of modular components, or the lowering of the first module into place in the building dock. It is now often called "keel authentication", and is the ceremonial beginning of the ship's life, even though fabrication of the modules may have begun months before.

Meyer Werft is likely doing as much block (module) fabrication as they can until they can put into place the first block atop the keel block(s). There must be some schedule that they are following that won't allow them to have the keel laying/authentication until August 5(!?).

The Getaway isn't scheduled for float out until autumn 2013, so they'll be working on the Quantum (joining blocks, etc.) in that small space behind it for a couple of months.

Edited by Lloyd555

If the article is correct, then I was right when I figured out the time lines for the ncl ships !!! Lol

You were right on target! LOL

From good ol' Wikipedia:

The event recognized as the keel laying is the first joining of modular components, or the lowering of the first module into place in the building dock. It is now often called "keel authentication", and is the ceremonial beginning of the ship's life, even though fabrication of the modules may have begun months before.

Meyer Werft is likely doing as much block (module) fabrication as they can until they can put into place the first block atop the keel block(s). There must be some schedule that they are following that won't allow them to have the keel laying/authentication until August 5(!?).

The Getaway isn't scheduled for float out until autumn 2013, so they'll be working on the Quantum (joining blocks, etc.) in that small space behind it for a couple of months.

Hopefully, we'll receive confirmation soon. :cool:

Checking out more of photos of the Getaway being built, wondering if we will get a glimpse of the Quantum blocks close by.

http://www.buildinggetaway.ncl.com/

Lloyd thanks for sharing. Look at the last picture fron the set "Painting of Norwegian Getaway's signature Hull has begun". This is the aft section of Getaway. I looks like something is definately going on behind it. Quantum books or wishful thinking on my part? I tried to zoom into the picture with my iPad but I am not getting a clear image.