Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Ah yes! New Picture is up for today. :)

Camera is still in the same position. :rolleyes:

lol

I noticed that as well. A related fan blog site also posted that August 5th is the keel laying date. Maybe we'll get pics of Q after that.

I noticed that as well. A related fan blog site also posted that August 5th is the keel laying date. Maybe we'll get pics of Q after that.

Hopefully that will be the next "press release" done by RCCL. But I won't hold my breath with as secretive as they have been with this thing.

Thanks to some snooping while waiting for the bus, I found a photo taken in June by a tourist at Meyer Werft. You can see the other end of the block that Mass2Cruise is focusing on in the photo at the bottom of post #43 (with red circle), as well as three smaller blocks.

Do you think the two similar blocks on the right belong to the lower aft end of the Quantum?

MWphoto1_zps36653d78.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

My partner found some more Meyer Werft tourist photos. We got excited by what we saw in the last two photos below from the same album, but it looks like another ship being built in another big hall. Anyone know what other ships - besides Getaway & Quantum - are being built at MW right now?

MWphoto2a1_zps84739817.jpg

MWphoto2a2_zpsd009d984.jpg

MWphoto2c_zpsdbabdc95.jpg

MWphoto2b_zps03bc4b06.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Thanks to some snooping while waiting for the bus, I found a photo taken in June by a tourist at Meyer Werft. You can see the other end of the block that Mass2Cruise is focusing on in the photo at the bottom of post #43 (with red circle), as well as three smaller blocks.

Do you think the two similar blocks on the right belong to the lower aft end of the Quantum?

MWphoto1_zps36653d78.jpg

Given the shape, it would seem to belong to the aft of Quantum. Not sure which deck though.

If only the tourist could have turned his/her camera to the left a little more to catch the back section of Hall 6.

As we are all anxious to see more in Hall 6, who knows what is going on in Hall 2 were Aida Stella was built and parts of NCL Getaway.

Lloyd - I think the last set is in Hall 5, research vessel Sonne. See webcam for Hall 5

Edit. The question then is do all those blocks belong to Sonne?

D'oh! Of course! The Sonne; it's just the ship in the webcam image below the Getaway's on MW website! Well, unless those are Quantum blocks being built alongside of it, pffft, who cares. ;)

Edited by Lloyd555

I'm not sure what those two smaller semi circular shaped ones behind the quantum block are. May be for the lower after of Quantum or could be part of the bow of Sonne. Could even be some upper deck portion of Getaway. Tough to tell.

MWphoto1_zps36653d78.jpg

I was looking at this again against the deck plans and other pictures of Quantum. Those two similar curve blocks may be too small for the lower aft end. There is chance that they could be the blocks right below the RipCord by IFly section. There is curve block on the outer side of of the RipCord on the starboard and port side.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

The July 12 webcam image is showing a lot more blocks on the deck. It'll be nice to see them finally put together.

MWJuly12webcam_zpsb82a858c.jpg

Thanks. Was going to post the same thing. Looks like they have another upper mid ship block in front of the one, closer to the bow of Getaway, that I had pointed out earlier. Perhaps the suspected date of August 5th for keel laying is correct. Or even late!

Yup. Another reason to visit Germany - Take a trip to Papenburg to visit Meyer Werft myself. Trust me; I'd get photos from one end of the dock to the other! :D

FlickrbyRemosworldJuly32013_1_zps98e9d886.jpg

FlickrbyRemosworldJuly22013_zps0a0880bf.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Yup. Another reason to visit Germany - Take a trip to Papenburg to visit Meyer Werft myself. Trust me; I'd get photos from one end of the dock to the other! :D

FlickrbyRemosworldJuly32013_1_zps98e9d886.jpg

FlickrbyRemosworldJuly22013_zps0a0880bf.jpg

Great pictures Lloyd. I agree that visiting the MW shipyard would be one of coolest things to experience.

I would love to visit there. Seems like they really take care of their guests too. Don't remember seeing anything like this tour being available at the STX Yard in Finland.

One thing to keep in mind when we're looking at these blocks, for all the ships were built in Finland the blocks on the dock were upside down. It makes it easier to run all of the wiring and piping in the ceilings that way. The blocks are then flipped over as their lifted to be placed onto the ship. I'm not sure if Meyer Werft does that as well but that could throw off some of our guesses on where blocks go. I think we've been pretty accurate so far though. Those little round blocks are the only questionable ones since their too small for the bottom of the ship. The Rip Cord guess seems logical though in terms of size and location in the build.

I was looking at this again against the deck plans and other pictures of Quantum. Those two similar curve blocks may be too small for the lower aft end. There is chance that they could be the blocks right below the RipCord by IFly section. There is curve block on the outer side of of the RipCord on the starboard and port side.

You have a good point there. Could indeed be blocks right below the RipCord. They could also be from curved spots within the ship - the Solarium, the Royal Esplanade, even Two70. It's impossible to tell, I guess. I'm sure we'll see them installed and have our 'aha!' moment. Better yet, if and when I'm standing on them during a cruise, I'll be able to say "I knew you when ...". Keep the guesses coming! :D

Edited by Lloyd555

I am really liking this thread.

It is frustrating to know that something can be happening with (the preparation of?) the Quantum of the Seas keel just feet away from the aft end of the Norwegian ship. Glad we can see sections of it alongside on the deck. August 5th(maybe?) cannot come fast enough, eh?

My wife says that I played too much with LEGO blocks as a kid. Now I want to build a cruise ship!!

Getawayaft_whatisgoingonbehindit2.jpg

Hmmmm. What is behind the camera at this point?

Getawayaft_whatisgoingonbehindit.jpg

Edited by Cutesy Pie Lover

I was looking at those small semi circular blocks and its possible that they are the bases for the RipCord, but it just seems so unlikely at this point. I can't seem to persuade myself that they'd have blocks in line for a top deck piece, even knowing they are building the back half first, at this point without the keel already laid. I'm almost thinking that they are something for inside one of the larger "hollow" blocks. Like something that would go in a promenade or 270. Seems more likely in relation to their progress.

I think I recall not too long ago there being the question about these blocks possibly belonging to a different ship instead of Quantum. (The research Vessel I believe).

Well, we can rest assured the above images are in fact all belonging to Quantum. I haven't seen the link posted in here and there is a photo from a few days ago posted on the RCCL blog that gives a different perspective.

:cool:

EDIT - That link is no workey. lol. Here's a different picture I found of the keel on a barge.

cb30513a.jpg

Edited by G85 SS

I think the keel blocks are in place already behind Getaway. That would be the only reason why the camera is not showing the back of Hall 6. Most here who are shipbuilding fans and have followed the MW webcam for sometime would agree that this is unusual for the webcam to stay in that position for that long a time. Whether or not any assembly has taken place behind Getaway is anyone's guess.

I'm really enjoying following this thread. I never watched the construction of a ship before so this is so interesting.

I appreciate all your insights and observations.

It is indeed very interesting and especially how it’s done at Meyer Werft Shipyard in Papenburg, Germany. For those who live there or had the opportunity to witness some of the construction or River Elms conveyance it must be a great experience.

There is a gentleman by the name Andres Depping, who has a dedicated website for cruise ships built in Papenburg, Germany. You should check it out.

http://www.depping-design.de/test/

Also the article in the below link gives you some good info about the Shipyard and its's history and the first cruise ship launched sidways, the Homeric.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/media/pdfs/pdf/Broschuere_UK_012013..pdf

Enjoy!

I'm really enjoying following this thread. I never watched the construction of a ship before so this is so interesting.

I appreciate all your insights and observations.

What got me hooked was watching Oasis of the Seas being built. RCCL was always updating their site with tons of new pictures from the ships and videos from all sorts of different angles.

So now that all I have is a still shot taken maybe once a day from only one angle it's got me all kinds of frustrated. lol. But that's what RCCL is wanting to do right now. My guess is things will probably change after August 5th when the Keel Laying Ceremony takes place. At least I hope so! One still frame a day from an awkward angle sucks! :p

With the suspicion that something is going on behind the Getaway that is related to the Quantum of the Seas, if I booked a cruise on the Quantum now, and had to create a countdown clock, it would probably look like this…

QuantumbehindGetaway_zps14c05e27.png