Party Poopers - Quiet Cruisers!

If we travel by ourselves, we usually just stick with us, but enjoy talking to other on deck, or in a lounge, etc., but it won't be one of those, lets me up later for drinks, etc. kind of things. When we travel in a group with family, we tend to be the same away, although other family members like hanging out and meeting new friends.

My wife and I like to lay low and have a good time. We are the type of people who would avoid the Meet and Mingle events just because of the anticipation and the crowd. Meeting a couple or two at a time isn't bad though. :)

We don't drink or dance much and enjoy quiet time just lounging in paradise. Who else looks to avoid the crowds during the cruise? Are we the only ones?

BTW, we are 39 and 37. Have we just developed into "old people?" :D

I don't think so. My wife and I travel predominantly in the fall and winter. We do it to avoid kids on ships. And we LOVE kids...we teach Sunday School and we have many children who are active in our everyday lives. But we travel to be together, and for the reasonable peace and quiet you can get on board and abroad.

That being said, we certainly don't mind meeting new people, especially cruisers since it's almost a given that you will share at least an interest in travel. :)

We are similar... have been cruising for years, lost count how many - well of 45+ cruises.

We are not into meet and greet either, do enjoy dancing, like to have a table for 2 when dining, generally have breakfast in our cabin and sometimes lunch too on our balcony. We look for quiet places on the ship and up on the upper decks. Works well for us. We do not cruise to socialize, if we meet and chat with someone that is okay - just not necessary for us to enjoy ourselves.

...and here I thought it was just me.:rolleyes:

1. Door decorations:confused:

2. Bring gifts that reflect where you're from:eek:

3. Cabin Crawls :(

4. "We'll best friends FOREVER!"

O.K. I was exaggerating on that last one, but not much!:D

I CAN be a social butterfly, but on vacation I tend avoid crowds at all costs in general...:p

I'm that sunburnt guy in his late 20s with drink in hand you run into by yourself in the elevator at 11PM; still in his dry bathing suit you wonder if he wore to dinner and donning a limbo/hula hoop contest "medal" he won eight hours ago. When I detect your shyness I will purposely try to get a rise out of you; hey, how's it going! What's on the agenda for tomorrow! Sometimes I get a friendly or positive reaction but other times just a nervous smile or nod that only adds to the awkwardness.

I'm that sunburnt guy in his late 20s with drink in hand you run into by yourself in the elevator at 11PM; still in his dry bathing suit you wonder if he wore to dinner and donning a limbo/hula hoop contest "medal" he won eight hours ago. When I detect your shyness I will purposely try to get a rise out of you; hey, how's it going! What's on the agenda for tomorrow! Sometimes I get a friendly or positive reaction but other times just a nervous smile or nod that only adds to the awkwardness.

Hence the reason the lampshades do not come off in the rooms...

And you sir are the reason my wife and I love people watching and laugh about our cruise experience. Thanks for the entertainment!

Hence the reason the lampshades do not come off in the rooms...

And you sir are the reason my wife and I love people watching and laugh about our cruise experience. Thanks for the entertainment!

And that's also why Fantasy class ships, the ones dating back to when Carnival was a wild party cruise line, don't have any lampshapes to speak of. If you haven't been on such a ship, they have reading lights instead, similar to the ones in railroad sleeping cars.

I'm on the fence; I switch back-and-forth between being the entertainer and the entertainee. Still a good time regardless.

Wish there was a "like" button. My husband would love to hang with you!! I am quiet, shy, and read alot, but my husband goes out and finds people to talk to all day and night. Last cruise he purposely sought out the 1 guy walking around in a bathing suit and cowboy boots. And he consistently makes me laugh every time we are on a overly-crowded elevator, and the door opens to 4 more people, and he yells " get on!! we can fit more! - - - no? you chickens!!!!"

OP, there is a benefit to the meet & greet or mix & mingle or whatever your line calls it. You're often introduced to the officers who I'm told will give you their business card to contact them directly if you need to. I like the idea of meeting the officers, its something I never had the opportunity to do before I joined Cruise Critic.

You are not alone. While I would like to meet other people at a Meet and Mingle doing so comes with the expectation that one must also plug into the whole spectrum of alternative CC activities. I'm not interested in doning group t-shirts, cabin crawls, slot pulls, signing on to private excursions, or general "hanging out" the entire cruise with fellow CC members. I'm a party pooper too.

Why can't you cherry pick the things you might enjoy participating in? I doubt that anyone is expected to participate in everything! I'm not super social either and much prefer to keep to myself, but I'm willing to do a champagne toast in my suite for our CC group - mostly because we have a unique® stateroom than most...a front-facing solarium balcony, which is almost like having a whole other room...so people do want to see that. I can't wait to look out my solarium windows and having the same exact view (OK, a couple of flights up...) as the Captain has as I sip my morning brew.

You are not alone. While I would like to meet other people at a Meet and Mingle doing so comes with the expectation that one must also plug into the whole spectrum of alternative CC activities.

No, it does not.

I'm not interested in doning group t-shirts, cabin crawls, slot pulls, signing on to private excursions, or general "hanging out" the entire cruise with fellow CC members. I'm a party pooper too.

I have enjoyed the roll calls that I have been on, as well as the M & Ms.

I will not participate in slot pulls, gift exchanges, and other things, and I have no problem with those that wish to do so.

One thing I can say is that on my last 2 cruises we had the best sailaways, one on the Oasis in an Aqua Suite ...... invited by one of our roll call members. Now that was a sailaway.

I have never been in / on an Aqua Suite .... and might not ever again, but that was a great time. Anyone not familiar with an Aqua Suite, the balcony can easily hold 50 people.

...I have enjoyed the roll calls that I have been on, as well as the M & Ms. I will not participate in slot pulls, gift exchanges, and other things, and I have no problem with those that wish to do so...

That's pretty much how I feel but reluctance to join in these activities will be seen as somewhat anti-community as described here. We'll have to agree to disagree.

That's pretty much how I feel but reluctance to join in these activities will be seen as somewhat anti-community as described here. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Who cares. It's your vacation. Nobody else helped you pay, so who cares what people think. The odds of seeing them again are very slim, in reality. Do what makes you happy, not what is "pro-community". That's my 2 cents.

To be called, described, referred to as anti-community, compared to other things I have been called, would be quite a compliment.

Archived