Using Tablets on crusie ships

Giantfan13

We are sailing on the Glory in July. We just got our first Tablet. Can we use it on the ship while we are cruising?

Will we be able to check our email et al?.

I assume when we are in port, we will have no problem getting a signal, or will we?

thanks

Cheers

Len

I just got off glory using my iPad. They had fixed price wifi for a lot of money (about $125 for 5 days) or $0.75 per minute. I used the per minute plan and spent $60 over 5 days. I wrote my emails offline. Just used wifi to send and receive.

We are sailing on the Glory in July. We just got our first Tablet. Can we use it on the ship while we are cruising?

Will we be able to check our email et al?.

I assume when we are in port, we will have no problem getting a signal, or will we?

thanks

Cheers

Len

Yes, for a fee and slow, slow service.

We used our iPad mini on the Magic in April & bought the unlimited high speed pkg. for the week. It worked great. We even face timed while right in he middle of all that ocean water & it worked pretty good! We were able to read our home newspaper every morning on the balcony!

We used our iPad mini on the Magic in April & bought the unlimited high speed pkg. for the week. It worked great. We even face timed while right in he middle of all that ocean water & it worked pretty good! We were able to read our home newspaper every morning on the balcony!

I've never seen an unlimited high speed internet package. Please share how much you paid for the package.

I bought a 300 minute package for some ungodly amount of money. On the 7 day cruise it was down for 4 days. When it was up, it was so slow many things timed-out. Of the 300 minutes, probably 50 of them were spent just logging in or out.

I haven't had any luck using my Kindle Fire for reading outdoors. It's not bright enough and there's too much glare, even with an anti-glare film. It's great indoors though. Bring a paperback if you plan to read. :)

I just got off glory using my iPad.

They had fixed price wifi for a lot of money (about $125 for 5 days)

or $0.75 per minute.

At those prices I can do without.. :cool:

When I cruise I divorce myself from my internet addiction

and it works for me!

I took my Android Tablet last time and only used it in port. There was always somewhere that had "free" wi-fi. Usually it was in the local Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Weird huh?

I used it as a camera and posted emails and Facebook posts.

So you get a lot of photos that look like this:

IMG_0844.JPG

Funny thing was that often people would come up to me and ask if they could post something to their Facebook. I actually this that there is a business idea there...

I used my ipad for indoor reading on our recent cruise, and for watching videos. (we watched 2 movies I previously downloaded in a lounge and we watched one on our balcony at night.)

I also bought the cheapest kindle for about $70 that is great for reading outdoors in bright sunlight. It's perfect for a cruise and the Lido deck.

I just put mine on Airplane mode and used my iPod touch for reading and music. Took notes about the cruise. Paid for about $12 worth of minutes to download a new book on my Kindle.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I hope this isn't a really stupid ? But what if your iPad has 3G? Sorry, technologically challenged! :rolleyes:

Starting with the iPad2 I believe, you can purchase an iPad with wireless data from cell providers (i.e. ATT and Verizon). Sort of like having an iPhone with data but you cannot make calls.

Those who use those services are those who travel a lot (to avoid paying for multiple wifi packages such as airports and hotels).

Downside to iThings in the sunlight is that they are very hard to read. Even sitting in the shade on a bright day can be challenging.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I hope this isn't a really stupid ? But what if your iPad has 3G? Sorry, technologically challenged! :rolleyes:

You don't want to use the cellular network on a ship. The roaming charges are higher than the wifi charges.

Yes it was around $130. We did have a lot of OBC so bought it. We took lots of pics using the iPad mini also.

As cheap as I am, I still might go for this. Magic had it for $99 the time I forgot my tablet charger, so I couldnt play my games so I would not have done it that time since I couldnt access my tablet.

Its the one thing I miss while Im on a cruise.. being online.

I could be tempted with enough OBC on my account like I will have to hawaii on miracle... if they had a unlimited offer (I doubt it)

I've never seen an unlimited high speed internet package. Please share how much you paid for the package.

I used this package on the Magic also, in May. It's $135 for the week,or $35/day. Speeds were around the 2.5 Mbps range.

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I took my Android Tablet last time and only used it in port. There was always somewhere that had "free" wi-fi. Usually it was in the local Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Weird huh?

I used it as a camera and posted emails and Facebook posts.

So you get a lot of photos that look like this:

IMG_0844.JPG

Funny thing was that often people would come up to me and ask if they could post something to their Facebook. I actually this that there is a business idea there...

I did essentially the same thing with my Nexus7 tablet on my latest cruise to Alaska . . . I composed e-mails (some with pics) and "waited" to be in port where I could find a FREE wifi and then "dumped" all the composed drafts on line.:)

Archived