Sail Across the Sun- Train Cruise

CatgirlNC

I just found out about Sail Across the Sun. This is a Sixthman cruise, with Train as the featured performers, with a lot of other singers & groups on there as well. We’re not supposed to give out websites here, but if you want more info, just Google all the capitalized words in the previous 2 sentences, and you’ll find it. This is going to be on NCL’s Norwegian Pearl, out of Miami, February 14-18, 2013.

Anyone thinking of going? I love Train, and have always wanted to try one of the music charters, but we’re still paying for our Alaska cruise in August, so we’d be paying for this at the same time. Like any other charters, the prices are higher than a regular cruise because you’re paying for the special concerts and entertainment.

BTW, I think it’s sort of amusing that the website calls 4 days on Norwegian Pearl a “luxury cruise.” :p

I'm not doing the Train cruise - but happy to answer any questions about the charter company... next year will be my 8th cruise with them.

I'm jealous you'll get Chef Aarrrrrrron Sanchez from Chopped. ;)

Thank you!

I have never been on a charter cruise before so I am not quite sure what to expect. Any general tips or things you think I should know?

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... generally - expect the unexpected. There's a lot of last minute juggling of the schedules and activities and you kind of have to roll with it. The biggest challenge with the music charters is there's usually multiple bands going on that I want to see all week. So you kind of have to plan your "can't miss" shows and wander the rest or else you end up stressed. (For example - one at sea day last year on TheRockBoat had 34 different activities, not including the normal Bingo type stuff)

Eat whenever you get the chance, there are concerts going from about 2PM to 1AM - I think I end up in a non-buffet meal about 1x per trip. And a lot of fun conversations can happen in the bars after 1AM because that's when all the crew/tech guys start to get off of work.

Try not to book a cabin right above or below one of the stage areas, they do a pretty good job with soundproofing, but in some cases it's not 100% - especially if they set up a stage in the atrium or bar area where there isn't normally loud music.

Also, in my opinion you're much better off not worrying about stuff like autographs or photos with the bands. They'll be all over the ship and I think that saying hi or buying them a drink or whatever is way more of a fun memory than their names scrawled on something. When Hanson was on one of the boats, girls slept outside their cabins... you don't want to be that guy ;) (Basically, this:

)

Yes, there will be SOME crazy drunk people. You can avoid them pretty easily (or join them) There will also be a lot of really fun random strangers who instantly have something in common with you. If they have artist activities, sign up for them even if you don't have a full team, you can find random people to join up with on their facebook pages.

Those are the main ones hope they help. any other questions?

• 1 month later...

We took the Simpleman cruise with Sixthman about 5 years ago. Would love to do the Train cruise, but our next cruise is already booked and can't afford another just yet.

As to you what to expect question, here are my tips and suggestions:

bring several colored highlighters. Mark all the things you want to see in one color and if any events overlap you can see if that band plays another time and then highlight in the final color.

Speaking of bands, don't just go for the main band. Before you leave check out as many of the bands as possible on Youtube, FaceBook, etc. You may find some real gems. For instance on the Train cruise there is a band called Simplified, they have come to our area on many occasions. We found them when they opened for another band we like. Now we never miss them when in town and have gone to other areas to see them.

Have your camera ready, especially video, not just for the bands, but for your fellow cruisers. Amazing people watching chances at every turn!

If you find yourself awake late at night when you think all is done for the day. Check out some of the small bars. One night we found like 5 guys from different bands just jamming to an audience of like 20 people. Bar was closed but the party continued!

Archived