hurtigruten in the winter?

we keep looking at the hurtigruten brochure and for our first ever cruise we're think about one of theirs. Problem is that we really want to see a good aurora (we see them at home in Orkney but only mild ones) and the winter would be the best time for that ....... has anyone any comments about experiences on these trips in the winter ( february)? oh and i know the aurora is never certain but is the rest of the trip good or is february too extreme for beginners?

additionally, i know norway is pricey , so on these trips, apart from the excursions orSouvenirs are there many other extras? ie will we need to budget for additional food/drink or other things?

thanks

You might indeed get more answers on the Hurtigruten board. I have done this trip four times total, including 3 in the winter (Christmas 2010, March 2012 and February 2013) and I would go again in the winter in a heartbeat.

You can see my travel report in my blog (signature below. The text for the 2010 trip is only in French, both others are in English as well - last trip report is still ongoing! ;) ).

I saw Northern Lights on all my winter trips, absolutely amazing last February (it was a good winter for them, and we weren't disappointed) and a bit less in March 2012, but then we had mostly cloudy skies. You will see them for sure if the sky is clear, and it's difficult to predict in advance. February or March are good months I think (and you still get a fair bit of daylight to enjoy the scenery).

The temperature is not that cold actually on the coast (around 0°C, a bit lower in places). Most of the trip is in sheltered waters so the sea is mostly calm, there are some bits in open waters, lasting only a few hours at the most except the Barents sea (between Honningsvag and Kirkenes). But most of the ships (all actually, except MS Lofoten) are very sea-worthy and have good stabilizers so you should be OK. For a first cruise I would actually advise not to choose MS Lofoten, in spite of its indeniable charm, choose one of the '90s series or maybe MS Finnmarken. You can be outside as much as you want to look at the scenery and have the benefit of very comfy indoors spaces when you want to relax and watch the scenery from warmer areas.

You will get feed plenty, so no need to worry about additionnal costs for food. Drinks however are not included (except tap water), and are very pricy.

Go check the discussions on the Hurtigruten board and if you have other questions I (and probably others) will be happy to answer them.

thanks for the information sarnialo - very usefull

we dont drink much alcohol and could easily go without so i guess it would not be a hardship to just have tap water so thats a worry answered if free drinking water is readily available

we dont drink much alcohol and could easily go without so i guess it would not be a hardship to just have tap water so thats a worry answered if free drinking water is readily available

That's exactly what I do. Free tap water is available in the restaurant but you have to ask for it (each time, since they don't leave it on the table so when you want water you need to ask a waiter and they will just pour you a glass).

Archived