What was your favorite excursion in Alaska?

Mel2421

Yes, it was very bouncy. You had to straddle the seats kind of like sitting on a horse. I sat in a regular seat at the back of the straddle seats. It was a two seater and had a back. It was still bouncy but not like the straddle seats. I loved every minute of this excursion!

Thanks, I appreciate the response. Thinking of going but not sure if the pounding on my bones will be OK --- not worried about sea sickness, just the pounding.

The responses should make it clear, that with the interest- Alaska tours are excellent, no matter what you choose.

Over and over, these are "recommendations" for tours people took. You don't find, tours to avoid mentioned, because there are very few of those, again depending on the interests.

In my opinion, this is never the place to skimp for me. I go on any and all the tours I want. Which I'm doing now. :) Already have done three flights- again.

We were on the Radiance last week. Hands down our favorite excursion was the one in the zodiac boats. I never hear anyone mention this tour and it wasn't that busy when we went on it, but it was fabulous. We booked through the cruise line. There were a max of 4 people per boat, ours only had two. Everyone got a chance to drive. The guide was so knowledgable. We went in and out of little coves, got close to seals (as close as legally allowable). Plus we got to drive the boats fast in some areas. We saw tons of wildlife, totem poles, Creek St from the water, etc.

They were very concerned that we stayed warm enough and provided multiple layers and rain gear (everything was really clean too). Plus there was some nice little surprises at the end. The company that ran the zodiac boats was top notch, and now I've spilled the beans on this hidden jewel.

Our favorite was the Bear Watch/Whale Watch combo tour last year. We were on the Radiance of the Seas and it was a ship sponsored excursion.

We were lucky with the bears. We saw two of them catching salmon. You might like to see some pictures my wife took and posted on her website.

http://nancysoasis.com/bears/bears.html

The whale watch was excellent. There were whales in every direction all around the excursion boat!

Here is a link to pictures of whales that she took

http://nancysoasis.com/icyw/icyw.html

Happy Cruising! It's a great way to explore the world.

Our favorite excursion ever, and we've also been to Hawaii and the Caribbean, is flight seeing with Michelle of Island Wings to Misty Fiords. We liked it so much the first time, we did it again three years ago...and we don't ever spend that much for an excursion. The best pictures I've ever taken were on this excursion. Our next favorite is whale watching with Orca Enterprises in Juneau.

Ketchican and the Bear Creek zip line, what a blast. Would do it over again in a heartbeat.

Highly recommend, it will be a memory that will not soon be forgotten.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were on the Radiance last week. Hands down our favorite excursion was the one in the zodiac boats. I never hear anyone mention this tour and it wasn't that busy when we went on it, but it was fabulous. We booked through the cruise line. There were a max of 4 people per boat, ours only had two. Everyone got a chance to drive. The guide was so knowledgable. We went in and out of little coves, got close to seals (as close as legally allowable). Plus we got to drive the boats fast in some areas. We saw tons of wildlife, totem poles, Creek St from the water, etc.

They were very concerned that we stayed warm enough and provided multiple layers and rain gear (everything was really clean too). Plus there was some nice little surprises at the end. The company that ran the zodiac boats was top notch, and now I've spilled the beans on this hidden jewel.

Great to hear. My daughter and SIL are doing a zodiac tour in Ketchikan TODAY where they will be allowed to drive themselves. They did book independently, so I hope it is the same company and they have as great of an experience as you did. I shared with the them the usual excursions people like in Ketchikan, but nothing appealed to them. I believe they got this idea from the ship's excursion list. I know they are looking forward to it. I did do a search and found a few people who had done this tour, but definitely not many. Maybe it will catch on as more people read about it.

I don't have too many details yet, but my DD and her husband had a great time on the tour. They booked independently and they were the only two on the tour. How awesome that must have been!!!! They saw a whale and her calf, seals, and eagles. The guide brought some fish to attract the eagles. I don't know anything else, but can't wait to hear more.

We just returned from the Solstice and great weather in Alaska. These are the excursions we did and I thought they were all great! They were all booked independently and everyone we dealt with was professional and pleasant.

Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour in the morning. The fisherman were very entertaining and we learned a lot about fishing. Also, if you want to see Bald Eagles, this is the tour to take. Then we did a Misty Fjords floatplane with Island Wings in the afternoon. Michelle was our pilot and was wonderful.

Juneau - Whale watching with Harv and Marv's. Our captain was Liz. We saw humpback whales, sea lions, harbor seals and bald eagles. On the way back, our shuttle driver stopped at Mendenhall Glacier.

Skagway - We rented a jeep from Green Jeep Rentals. We drove out to Emerald Lake. On the way back we stopped in Carcross for lunch at the Chilkoot Trail Authentic Sourdough Bakery. All the excursions we did were great, but this excursion was by far our favorite. The scenery was amazing and we could stop on our own schedule, for as long as we wanted anywhere along the road that had a pull-out. In one day we saw mountains, rivers, lakes, beaches, a desert, snow/ice, wildflowers and one bear.

We had a couple of days in Seattle before the cruise. We did the Seattle Underground Tour and the Locks cruise on Argosy. We also visited the EMP Museum, the Space Needle and Pike Place Market.

Archived