Some advice from a past crusier

Thank you so much for your tips for new Baltic cruisers. My husband and I booked this rather last minute. Although we are heavy cruisers we have never sailed to Europe and this particular northern europe cruise has been on my hubby's list for some time. We saw an opportunity over the July 4 holiday and grabbed it bc we could arrange for childcare and it all worked out. But being last minute we don't have as much time to plan. The one thing I did was to book a ST Pete private tour through one of the recommended companies. This itin doesnt seem like the place to wing it but there are so many detailed posts that I was finding it overwhelming and starting to stress which is certainly NOT the point of the trip :) Ive read the posts about what you wish someone told you, etc. Anything key you would like to add would be most appreciated. right now I'm thinking of winging it in at least Copenhagen and possibly Helsinki with a guidebook and walking around on our own. It also seems like we need some local currency for each port. Am I on the right track and is their anything you would like to add?

Lol! No stressing!

ATM's are great ... I always have a little of the local currency before I go to handle things (like bus/cab fare, etc.) until I find an ATM.

BTW, Tallinn is VERY, VERY easy to DIY ... really very little planning needed. Short 10 minute walk from the pier to Fat Margaret Tower & you are in the Old Town. :)

Great site for Tallinn walking tour that you can download & print:

Http: www. bren tjes (one word) dot com/tallinnwalk.html

Wow, thanks so much everyone for a quick response! I feel better already! I did book w Alla in St Petersburg. After reading many threads I feel like Helsinki & Copenhagen could be done on our own (and def Talinn). I wasn't sure about Stockholm though and it didnt appear that Alla offered a tour there on our date.

I actually couldn't find the roll call for my date on the Emerald Princess, I don't know why unless its because it's so close it's no longer there? (6/28) That's why I decided to post to you all. I didnt realize that ATM's would be so easy or abundant so thanks for that! I actually have a capital one card although my hubby prefers his AMEX overseas but im guessing that some vendors may not accept that.

I bought some guidebooks today and w that and St Pete booked i"m feeling better! Afterall, we've never been to these places and we've never been on a bad cruise! No such thing in my book. So thanks again, I'll keep checking the boards also!! :)

I actually couldn't find the roll call for my date on the Emerald Princess, I don't know why unless its because it's so close it's no longer there? (6/28) That's why I decided to post to you all.

Are you sure about the date? It looks like the Emerald Princess is sailing on June 25 not 28th. Here's the roll call for that sailing: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683353.

Or, if you meant July 28, here's the roll call for that saliing: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1765873.

But, there isn't a roll call for June 28. :D Or, is it a different ship??

Have fun!

I found it at last! (the Roll Call) We are boarding on a different date but it IS in fact the June 26 sailing that we will be on. My husband probably knew that but I was merely looking at our booking sheet and since we are boarding then, it was the first date listed. Many thanks all!

Archived