3 cheers for Carnival!!!

From the latest Cruise Weekly newsletter

Norfolk Island $13m cruising boost

A significant infrastructure investment will see Norfolk Island planted firmly on the radar for cruise firms globally. FEDERAL Minister for Regional Services,

Local Communities and Territories Catherine King has joined with Federal Member for Canberra Gai Brodtmann on Norfolk Island, off Australia’s East Coast to unveil a $13m funding package for the development of new facilities

to encourage cruise operators to visit.Two jetties on the island will benefit from the funding package, with Cascade Jetty and Kingston Jetty upgraded to accommodate a mobile crane for efficient passenger transfers, with the latter also extended & strengthened. The funds have been allocated as part of the

Federal Government’s Regional Development Australia Fund, which was applied for by the Norfolk Island Administration. King heaped praise on the Administration, saying the Government was determined to see the island build its economy to achieve the self-sustainability model it strives for.

“The infrastructure upgrade will provide more certainty to the many Australians who wish to visit this beautiful part of our country,

as well as to those on Norfolk Island whose businesses rely on the tourists who come to see the unique history, attractions and natural sights that the Island has on offer,” King said. Carnival Australia Ceo Ann Sherry welcomed

the funding allocation, saying that previously, a combination of factors, passenger transfers being one of them, had contributed to Carnival Australia sending its ships elsewhere. “Our ships have missed more than 70% of scheduled calls to Norfolk Island in recent years due to the combined effect of prevailing weather and the operating limitations of normal cruise ship tenders,” Sherry said. In an effort to improve the accessibility at Norfolk Island, Carnival Australia last year funded the design of special tender boats designed to handle the often treacherous conditions experienced near the island’s ports.

Sherry added that the new Government funds would enable the construction of these special tenders, which would be operated by certified locals trained in their use.She added that Norfolk Island will receive a major economic boost from more frequent cruise ship visits, and that the announcement could see Carnival ships visiting more often. “A successful cruise industry could deliver

thousands of tourists a year to the island and add millions of dollars in economic value to the community,” Sherry added.

From the latest Cruise Weekly newsletter

Norfolk Island $13m cruising boost

A significant infrastructure investment will see Norfolk Island planted firmly on the radar for cruise firms globally. FEDERAL Minister for Regional Services,

Local Communities and Territories Catherine King has joined with Federal Member for Canberra Gai Brodtmann on Norfolk Island, off Australia’s East Coast to unveil a $13m funding package for the development of new facilities

to encourage cruise operators to visit.Two jetties on the island will benefit from the funding package, with Cascade Jetty and Kingston Jetty upgraded to accommodate a mobile crane for efficient passenger transfers, with the latter also extended & strengthened. The funds have been allocated as part of the

Federal Government’s Regional Development Australia Fund, which was applied for by the Norfolk Island Administration. King heaped praise on the Administration, saying the Government was determined to see the island build its economy to achieve the self-sustainability model it strives for.

“The infrastructure upgrade will provide more certainty to the many Australians who wish to visit this beautiful part of our country,

as well as to those on Norfolk Island whose businesses rely on the tourists who come to see the unique history, attractions and natural sights that the Island has on offer,” King said. Carnival Australia Ceo Ann Sherry welcomed

the funding allocation, saying that previously, a combination of factors, passenger transfers being one of them, had contributed to Carnival Australia sending its ships elsewhere. “Our ships have missed more than 70% of scheduled calls to Norfolk Island in recent years due to the combined effect of prevailing weather and the operating limitations of normal cruise ship tenders,” Sherry said. In an effort to improve the accessibility at Norfolk Island, Carnival Australia last year funded the design of special tender boats designed to handle the often treacherous conditions experienced near the island’s ports.

Sherry added that the new Government funds would enable the construction of these special tenders, which would be operated by certified locals trained in their use.She added that Norfolk Island will receive a major economic boost from more frequent cruise ship visits, and that the announcement could see Carnival ships visiting more often. “A successful cruise industry could deliver

thousands of tourists a year to the island and add millions of dollars in economic value to the community,” Sherry added.

Thats great news for Norfolk island and for cruise passengers. I am intrigued to find out why Gai (our local member) was involved, although I am glad she was.:D

Great news if it all goes ahead , and works.

I would be interested in knowing what is exactly intended.:)

Are they meaning the ships tenders can dock ?

Does the crane they mention, lift out the tenders , or passengers ?

Great also to read in the same issue about Ray and Barbara, the Australian couple with over 2,000 days on Princess being invited by the company to the christening of the new Royal Princess this week and the ensuing festivities.

Princess treats loyal cruisers

PRINCESS Cruises has invited two of its most

loyal passengers - Raymond & Barbara King - to

attend the official christening ceremonies of

Royal Princess, taking place this week in the UK.

The Kings have racked up more than 2000

days on Princess vessels and prior to heading

to the UK were cruising in Europe, will stay on

the new ship while docked in Southampton,

attend the official gala dinner and be aboard

the first three voyages, ending in Venice.

Great news if it all goes ahead , and works.

I would be interested in knowing what is exactly intended.:)

Are they meaning the ships tenders can dock ?

Does the crane they mention, lift out the tenders , or passengers ?

I read it that the Island will have its own special tenders and crane to get people ashore.:D

Great also to read in the same issue about Ray and Barbara, the Australian couple with over 2,000 days on Princess being invited by the company to the christening of the new Royal Princess this week and the ensuing festivities.

Princess treats loyal cruisers

PRINCESS Cruises has invited two of its most

loyal passengers - Raymond & Barbara King - to

attend the official christening ceremonies of

Royal Princess, taking place this week in the UK.

The Kings have racked up more than 2000

days on Princess vessels and prior to heading

to the UK were cruising in Europe, will stay on

the new ship while docked in Southampton,

attend the official gala dinner and be aboard

the first three voyages, ending in Venice.

Fantastic news for the Kings., thye deserve it. We cruised last year on the Diamond and they were aboard, we once chatted over dinner and they were such a lovely couple. Good on Princess for rewarding them.:D

Fantastic news for the Kings., thye deserve it. We cruised last year on the Diamond and they were aboard, we once chatted over dinner and they were such a lovely couple. Good on Princess for rewarding them.:D

How old are these people and how many years did it take them to reach that level.

How old are these people and how many years did it take them to reach that level.

Not sure of their exact ages but I would say they are in their early-mid 70s. They are Tasmanians and they had been crusing full time for nearly 6 years with the occassional break off the ship or to transefer to another ship/itinerary. They had been on the Diamond Princess for nearly three years at that stage (Oct 2012). :D

Thats great news for Norfolk island and for cruise passengers. I am intrigued to find out why Gai (our local member) was involved, although I am glad she was.:D

MicCanberra,

I think you will find that although Norfolk Island is almost self automonious it is still administered as a Territory of Australia hence the involvement of your local member and the local police force being supplied by the Australian Federal Police.

I read it that the Island will have its own special tenders and crane to get people ashore.:D

I took it that the ship(s) would have modified tenders and the crane would be relocated on the island to the safest port to secure/relocate the tenders. You could be right though.

I know that often P&O AUS and Carnival get bad mouthed by many here - but from where I stand, I believe the Australian cruising industry owes a LOT to them and it is obvious to me that they are still in the forefront of developing the industry here. It is a shame that other cruiselines don't join them in this regard -- instead of merely picking the eyes out of dish.

Barry

MicCanberra,

I think you will find that although Norfolk Island is almost self automonious it is still administered as a Territory of Australia hence the involvement of your local member and the local police force being supplied by the Australian Federal Police.

Thanks Wyuna, I did know that but as we have two members in the ACT was intrigued by Gai's involvement. This probably explains it though.:D

BTW, are you on Lake Macquarie? Wyuna Bay?

I took it that the ship(s) would have modified tenders and the crane would be relocated on the island to the safest port to secure/relocate the tenders. You could be right though.

Have re read it and you may be right, now I don't know. Either way it has to be a good thing.:D

I tried a google on Norfolk Island ships jetty and found a tender document with some pics of the present set up.

12norfolk_zps1d09e5ca.jpg

Unfortunately the link to the docs will not come up for me, but if you are interested , just try google.

I tried a google on Norfolk Island ships jetty and found a tender document with some pics of the present set up.

Unfortunately the link to the docs will not come up for me, but if you are interested , just try google.

Thanks David.:D

Thanks Wyuna, I did know that but as we have two members in the ACT was intrigued by Gai's involvement. This probably explains it though.:D

BTW, are you on Lake Macquarie? Wyuna Bay?

Thanks for asking MicCanberra but no we are not on Lake Macquarie although we spent a lot of childhood holidays at Wangi Wangi. The bay on Lake Macquarie is Myuna

Wyuna is part of the name of a beef cattle property we had and means " meeting of the waters" in the local aboriginal dialect.

Fortunately, that was also a very calm day.

Thanks for asking MicCanberra but no we are not on Lake Macquarie although we spent a lot of childhood holidays at Wangi Wangi. The bay on Lake Macquarie is Myuna

Wyuna is part of the name of a beef cattle property we had and means " meeting of the waters" in the local aboriginal dialect.

Of course it is, my mistake. I think it may be a small world then anyway, as we also spent alot of time on Lake Macquarie (30 years ago) at the Wangi end of the lake and Pulbar Island. My brother now lives there (married a local Wangi girl).:D

Yes sure was great weather that day

From the same Govt doc calling for tenders to build the new facility ,

shots of the jetty during a storm.:eek:

You can just see the top of the crane.

13jetty_zpsa0fe8472.jpg

So they need more than a crane and a new specially designed tender. They need a new pier, or a break water at least.:D

Of course it is, my mistake. I think it may be a small world then anyway, as we also spent alot of time on Lake Macquarie (30 years ago) at the Wangi end of the lake and Pulbar Island. My brother now lives there (married a local Wangi girl).:D

Pity the Swansea Channel was not a bit wider and a bit deeper. Wangi Wangi would be a great destination, lots to see and do and the best Pies and Cream Buns ever from the Wangi Bakery.:D:D:D:D

Pity the Swansea Channel was not a bit wider and a bit deeper. Wangi Wangi would be a great destination, lots to see and do and the best Pies and Cream Buns ever from the Wangi Bakery.:D:D:D:D

Now you have made me hungry.:D

Archived