Why do cruise ships sail from Mexico and Canada vs US ports?

Epp

I'm just curious as to why some cruise ships leave from U.S. ports and others leave form Mexican or Canadian ports that are so very close to other U.S. Ports. For example, Ensenada and Vancouver seem to be used for sailing to Hawaii more than, say, San Diego and San Francisco. It seems that one way cruises are more likely to start or end in a non U.S. port. Perhaps this is just my imagination?? We have a Princess cruise to Alaska planned for next summer and I thought it was strange that it left from Vancouver instead of Seattle.

The Jones Act requires it. I don't know the specific details, but I know that unless it is an American flagged ship and has a certain percentage of U.S. crew, a ship must stop in a foreign port, hence Alaska cruises leaving from Vancouver, or Hawaii cruises leaving from Ensenada. Even if an Alaskan cruise left from Seattle, it would still have to stop somewhere in Canada.

The Jone's Act is the primary reason. Every non-US flagged ship must have at least one port of call that is not in the US or a US territory. So other then Pride of Aloha or Pride of America (both US flagged ships) all ships in the cruise industry must make at least one forgien port (although I'm Canadian so I don't consider Canada foreign). Hence it is easier to start a Hawaian cruise or end the cruise in either Canada or Mexico. to meet this requirement. By starting or finishing at these ports it allows them to meet the requirement without wasting time or fuel.

Archived